“Mixed Signals” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Arizona
“Mixed Signals”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The main reasons for a weekend stay at the Lodge are basically to soak up the spectacular views and to "get out of town." So, we got the results we wanted. I booked our stay three months in advance, so was able to score the view. Check in is 4:00PM, though I had requested early check in. We were delayed, arriving at 3:40PM, and the room wasn't ready. Of course, I was reminded of their policy, but, whatever.

I would consider the property to have undergone some renovations, as our suite was updated and fully equipped. Well, the king bed was too soft, the coffee maker is cheap and I had to request two robes be brought to the room. The grounds are well maintained, the staff friendly and professional. Sunday brunch was expansive and surprisingly inexpensive. Wait staff was unobtrusive and efficient. We split a delicious rack of ribs in the Grille one evening My wife loved the gym, but now I guess I have to buy her a treadmill.

Room Tip: Book early, and request either a mountain or golf course view above the first level.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Spent 4 days at The Lodge a few weeks ago on a golf trip and had a great time. The rooms, although a bit dated, were massive! Stayed in a room with a King bed, small kitchenette, large living room and giant bathroom. There was also a large balcony over-looking the golf course with a mountain view. The room was very clean and quiet.

Both golf courses (Mountain and Canyon) were first class. They are both designed by Fazio which I am a fan. Conditions were prestine, greens rolled fast and true... and the golf service staff was top notch.

Temperature was very cool overnight. We had frost delays at the golf course till 10am almost every day. But the staff were able to start everyone in a shotgun to help ensure we got the round in during the best part of the day.

Before arrival I worked out my itinerary for the afternoons with the hotels concierge service. Arlene helped with some great hiking spots to hit up within close proximity to the resort. Also took the time to see the Sonoran Desert Meseum, Saguaro National Park, and a drive up Mount Lemmon.

The food at the hotel was okay. The best meal was the Wednesday buffet dinner! I could tell this was a hit with members and guests because it was one of the only nights that the restaurant was packed. Great choice of salads and appetizers, seafood, prime rib, and about 20 different desserts.

It was the only hotel I stayed in Tucson, but I would recommend it for the golf, service, location, and proximity to hiking and outdoor adventure... if you are just going to stay at the lodge for the food, decor, spa, pool, and atmosphere... it may not be the place as those qualities are a little dated.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a mountain view. Very peaceful
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I wouldn't pay full price for this hotel. I enjoyed the tennis courts and rooms were clean but not modern. It was a nice staycation close to home (Phoenix). Staff was super friendly and helpful. Breakfast the next morning was tasty.

• Stayed November 2012
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed just one night while passing through town but wished we had stayed longer. the area the lodge was in was so beautiful, mountains and desert!. The room was very comfortable, a king bed was to our liking and the kitchenette and clawfoot tub were unexpected! The service was impecable! we were met at the front entrance by the bell boy who took us right to our room and checked us in.he had everything waiting for us, it was great! Also ate breakfast the next morning in the cafe and again the service and food were excellent! Would definately return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We decided to take a quick getaway from Phoenix to Tucson for the weekend, so used hotwire and picked up a pretty good deal.

We arrived late, around 9, and there is a staffed gatehouse. They were friendly, checked our name against the register, and handed us a hangtag so we belonged for two days. The drive from the gatehouse to the resort is about 1/4 mile, and we were met as we parked the car by a really nice bellman who already had a luggage cart, key, and check-in materials. This was great, since we were really tired and ready for bed. We had a first-floor one-bedroom suite facing the tennis courts and parking lot and James made sure we were settled in and had everything we needed.

The room where we stayed is their smallest room, but was by no means small. It had a kitchenette, a dining room table for four, full-size leather couch, desk/work area, separate bedroom that was larger than many hotel rooms by itself, and a very generous bathroom with a walk-in shower. It also had it's own patio area that was equally generous, but had a view of my car.

While the room was large, parts of it were quite dated and had some maintenance issues. The breaker panel for the electrical in our room was prominently located in the bedroom, and the cover to the panel was only held on by two out of the four screws. About half the furniture was newer, but then the other half looked original to the property. Pillows were uncomfortable, but the mattress slept well. Carpet looked new. The kitchenette in the room looked as if it needed to be ripped out and replaced with 80's tile countertops and old-looking appliances. The kitchen came in handy the second day when we decided to make food instead of eating out again. I've spent at least a year of my life at Marriott Residence Inns, and kitchens are handy.

My only other complaint about the room is that I could easily hear the conversation of the folks next door, which means they could hear me.

On the second day when we woke up I realized how beautiful our surroundings were. The back of the resort faces the mountains and also backs up to the golf course. I don't play golf, so I can't speak to the facilities, but they do have a pro shop for golf and tennis, and seem to be well-stocked. The campus is well-maintained, but the interiors looked as dated as our room. The dining room in the main building has a spectacular view of the mountains and golf course, although we only had room service. We are vegetarian, and the menu wasn't especially exciting for us, but we did have their breakfast.

As for the food, it was bland, but passable, but then breakfast food is often bland, so I won't try to judge their meatier selections which comprise most of their menu. I'm sure they do a great prime rib.

My wife had a deep-tissue massage while there, and it was excellent. She said the spa was also dated, which seems to be a recurring theme, and that there was nowhere to sit and relax. She's comparing it to the incomparable Joya Spa where she ususally goes in Phoenix, so it's not a fair fight. She likes spa days, and this is not really a spa day kind of spa, but more of a place you go while your husband is playing golf. But a good massage is a good massage, and the guy they have for deep tissue was fantastic, so score one for their spa.

They have tons of tennis courts, so if you like tennis, then this is probably a good place to stay. Unfortunately, it's quite a racket outside your room if you are facing the courts. Terrible pun, I know. We used the pool, which is inexplicably far from the rooms, across a parking lot and at the end of the tennis courts. That said, it's well-maintained and they had goggles for my son.

The hotel is a long way from downtown, so if you need to do business or visit downtown, this might not be a good place to stay. I think it took 35 minutes to get to el Chorro from our room. That's over an hour of driving. There are amenities and restaurants close by, so there's no pressing reason you need to go there.

One reason you might want to leave the property is to see people who aren't white. I have rarely been in a whiter place than the Lodge, and I was really stunned as I surveyed board after board of their members that I could only find one Asian couple and one Hispanic man. Maybe I missed someone, but I certainly didn't run into any non-white people except a waiter and our maid. This is a problem that's not specific to the lodge, but to wealthy Arizona in general. Diversity in Arizona mostly on paper, rarely in everyday life.

So to sum up: it's a beautiful setting, well-maintained grounds, dated interiors, great staff, reasonably priced, good on-site amenities, decent but not great spa facility, free parking, free internet, lily-white, and giant rooms with kitchenette.

I would love to give it more dots, but the hotel is badly, badly in need of a remodel or Rodney Dangerfield will be coming back from the dead to film Caddyshack 3 here.

Room Tip: Either you are screwed and have a great view of the parking lot, or you win the lottery and have a v...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New Haven, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed here when I decided to tack on a couple of days after a conference near the university. I've never golfed a day in my life, and at first I was a bit put off by the whole golf resort atmosphere. But the location turned out to suit me very well and me and the golf crowd stayed out of each others way. I ended up in a two bedroom suite with a kitchenette and large living room. I loved the view from my balcony. I never ate in the dining room; room service was very convenient and I also brought back food from Whole Foods for one dinner along with supplies for all of my lunches. The resort is located at the very north end of Tucson, right at the foothills. It's close to the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, but it's not the same property.

I found a deal on the internet (through Travelocity I think) and thanks to TripAdvisor I was not surprised that there was resort fee in addition to the room charge. Otherwise that would have been an unpleasant surprise.

No golf for me, but I like to walk. There's a short walking trail on the golf course, but it's not much more than a short stroll. One has the impression that the outdoors are meant to be enjoyed from the seat of a golf cart. But Ventana Canyon is nearby and I had a very nice hike there. The next day the hotel shuttled me to Sabino Canyon and I enjoyed that walk very much as well. The third day I drove to Saguaro Park East and had a long hike. The high point of that walk was a not-too-close encounter with a rattle snake. Memorable. I ended up with a nice walking holiday.

I would consider returning here for another dose of hiking in the Tucson area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Portsmouth Pride of the south
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We flew into Tucson at the start of our road trip and stayed 3 nights.
Our room was very spacious but didn't really have a view as it overlooked tennis courts.
The dining room is beautiful and both breakfast and dinner were excellent. Only gripe is the $24 per room per night resort tax and 20% on all food in restaurant, but rates were reasonable so would probably stay there again.
Is in good location without being in city itself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lodge at Ventana Canyon? Share your experiences!