“An incredible trip ” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 127 hotels in Tucson
New Jersey
“An incredible trip ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

We were at the Tanque Verde ranch from 2/17/07 to 2/25/07. Four people went, Mom,Dad, and two daughters, 11 and 13. The only thing I can say is that it was truly fantastic. The property is gorgeous, sitting on the edge of the Saguaro National Forest. What makes this place so wonderful is the beautiful setting, combined with first class accomodations.

I did not have high expectations for a "dude ranch". However, the grounds are well maintained, the food is quite good, and the horseback riding was more fun that I could have imagined. Food is served in a large communal dining room, where you can choose to sit either with your own party, or with other people. The best part of the vacation is sharing with others. There are no televisions in the rooms, which forces you to interact with others.

If you are so inclined, I strongly suggest that you take a mountain biking class with "Monk". It's free, and the guy is a wealth of knowlege.

Two times a week, you can ride your horse out to the edge of the ranch to have breakfast made out of a chuck wagon. Not to be missed. In addition, twice a week, dinner is served over a true open fire at the adjoining Cottonwood Grove. Again, not to be missed.

We truly made some great friends on this trip. This is due to the fact that you must interact with others on a daily basis.

I can say, without reservation, that this was one of the best vacations I ever took with my family. The kids loved the place even more than the parents due to the friends that they made.

RECOMMENDATIONS: If you can, upgrade to a larger room with a fire place. Quite enchanting. Bring a computer. There is very good and quick wireless access around the main house. Cell service with Verizon was excellent.

• Liked — Fireplace and view of the Tanque Verde Mountains
  • Disliked — They needed to be updated
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

The Bellota is a gem set amid the rugged Rincon Mountains, in the heart of the desert. The atmosphere is casual, friendly and intimate--by the end of our first day, the staff were our friends. Rooms are spacious, elegant yet cozy, and spotless, although there is so much to do that you don't spend much time there, except to clean up and sleep. The beautiful great room with its copper fireplace, the enclosed sun room, and the TV room, plus the lovely Spanish style courtyard with its bubbling fountain, and the hot tub and pool, are great places to gather.
You go to the Bellota to ride, and what riding it is! The horses are sure-footed, strong, and agile. Guests groom and saddle their own mounts, although the wranglers are right there to assist if needed. The rides are challenging, up and down steep slopes, over rocks, dodging cactus--but the wranglers are careful and safety is paramount. An intermediate or advanced rider would do best on these rides, but completing them builds one's confidence tremendously. The views from hundreds of feet up are matchless!
The food is delicious and plentiful, and always available. The chef considers your personal needs and can customize a menu if necessary. If not for the riding, every guest would put on pounds at the Bellota. Guests all eat together with the staff, and mealtimes are relaxed, casual, and lots of fun.
If you would like plenty of good outdoor activity, an adult atmosphere, wonderful food, comfortable accomodations, and beautiful scenery, the Bellota is well worth a trip!

Stayed February 2007
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

We had another great visit, thank you! We love this place- the natural beauty is wonderful and the accommodations are great. Host and hostess are all world.

Had a terrific massage/ treatment in the spa while I was there, and a couple of nice rides. The terrain is beautiful, although it does not offer much opportunity for loping- mostly up and down hills.

• Liked — The views and the people
  • Disliked — Not enough time there.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
pembroke mass
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2007

This feb will be the 10th year my family has visited tanque verde. We leave the dull snowy roads here to bask in the sunny Arizona climate. My children, now 18 and 15 learned to ride at Tanque Verde and now can lope with the best of them. The food..the people..the guests...all happy and extremely well fed. We love the doghouse (the bar) and the the tennis is a blast as well. Each year we all have a new favorite horse thanks to Gus and the the other wranglers who really put thought into who each guest will be riding. After reading the reveiw about how badly the horses were treated, i felt i had to comment. I am up every morning with my coffee watching the horses get ready for the day. Yes sometimes there is mud..its called after rain! These precious animals are loved and taken care of with the wranglers heart and soul! My daughter has also been to camp in the summer and loved it.. all in all...it truley is Heaven on Earth

• Liked — the horses!
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2006

We had a wonderful stay at Tanque Verde Ranch. It's a lot bigger than some of the ranches we've gone to. This is good and bad- It offers multiple swimming pools and a nice spa (great massage!) but is a little less personal. The staff were very friendly, and we were well taken care of. Loved our room. Food was good. Views and country are out of this world.

• Liked — Loved the view!!
  • Disliked — Our room was fabulous, but I know they have a big variety in quality and price- ask questions.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask questions about the specific room, and what the typical temperature is during the time you'll be traveling.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2006

The simple fact is that if you want to stay at a location which offers horseback riding, nature, beautiful mountain and desert views, tranquility and a great kids program, stay here!
My daughter and I stayed at Tanque Verde Ranch for 5 days. I had decided to reserve a newer and larger Deluxe suite which was well worth the price ($450.00 approx per night). Our suite was located at the top of the resort property (room #20) and offered spectacular views of the mountains, a 20 by 30 foot livingroom, complete with fireplace and 2 double murphy beds , a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, walk in shower for 2, seperate toilet area and beautiful handpainted sinks. The view from our private patio was tremendous and had 2 lawn chairs. The cathedral ceiling in the livingroom must have been 20 feet high! The master bedroom was also very nice. The food was execellent, very fresh and a very good variety at every seating. Breakfast consisted of a buffet for more commmon items such as fresh fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, various melons, grapefruit), cereals, various danish and other breads but you could also order (at no additional charge) pretty much anything you could want. Lunches consisted of a wonderful selection of salads and hot entres and a "to die for" desert table. Dinners were non-buffet, a la carte style and equaly wonderful.
The only extra costs were the wine and such.
Now onto to the extra curricular activities...riding lessons were fantastic and I would like to mention a special thanks to "Cat" (one of the women who oversees the kids program). My eight year old daughter loved it. A child's day is filled with various activities, including morning rides, arts and crafts, afternoon riding lessons, tennis lessons and so on. The parents have the option of riding with the kids during the morning and afternoon horse walks in the dessert if they so desire. A wonderful family experience. A couple times a week, patrons are invited to ride to a breakfast cookout on the homestead which we decided to join. Horseback, about 20 or so people left with their children and rode for about 1 hour until we arrived at the quaint area where the original and first building on the property stands. Once there, we were greated by a wonderful breakfast. The owner himself was flipping the pancakes! Nice touch! The pool area is very nice although not very big. They also offer an indoor pool, jacuzzi and gym.
The funniest thing about this place is that they have very few TVs available for room use. And I must admit that when we first checked in I was a little distraught by this fact (considering that I was travelling alone with my daughter and wondered what the heck I would do when I put her to bed!). Anyway after contacting the front desk, I was put on a waiting list for a TV. The funny thing is that by the second day I didn't care! We were so tired by the time we got back to our room, usually by around 8 that we would go to bed and did not miss TV in the least!
The only thing that I think can be improved upon in this resort is an inrooom coffee maker!
In my final words I want to say that everyone that I spoke to there swore that they would return (us inclusively) but also that many of the people that we met there have done so many times and will continue. Need I say more....

• Liked — activities, location and food
  • Tips/Secrets — Well worth reserving the deluxe accomodations
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

I'd always wanted to learn to ride at a dude ranch, so I combined a trip to a Southern Arizona resort with a 3 day stay at the Tanque Verde Ranch. Their February special was a great bargain, considering that I could ride all day and it was all-inclusive. The facility itself is a bit worn, but all in all, the comparative advantage of the ranch is horses, and that was done well.

The food is cafeteria style, coupled with a sit down menu for dinner. The outdoor chuck wagon night was an extraordinary meal with steaks and western music. The trail breakfast was hearty fare with amazing pancakes griddled amidst a panoramic view of the Sonoran Desert. The rest of the fare back in the dining room was ordinary by comparison.

The pool, fitness center, courts and spa areas are underutilized and excuses to bill the place as a resort. The nature center was closed due to fumigation, but the personnel with whom I spoke seemed very knowledgeable. I took a hike in the Rincon Mountains with the early morning group and outdoors coordinator, and it was an interesting historical trek, as well as a scenic alternative to seeing the landscape via horse.

I got an upgrade to the best available room which was in a newer building with a jacuzzi and separate shower. It had amazingly high ceilings and was huge with a wood fireplace and a patio overlooking the mountains. Other rooms I saw which were significantly older appeared to be a bit decrepit by comparison with much less spectacular views.

I had only been on a horse a few times in my life in the east, but I was determined to progress to the intermediate level, which I did. I took the trail ride, followed by lessons throughout the day, with breaks for lunch and a snack. Find a horse you click with, and the guys will let you reserve the same mount and have him saddled when you arrive for your next lesson.

There is internet in the lobby for all guests to share, and there is a TV in the library. Rooms have no electronics, which is a nice respite from the real world.

I enjoyed my stay, fulfilled my riding aspirations, and left with only pleasant memories of Domino my horse.

• Liked — large jacuzzi
  • Disliked — generic sundries
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a newer building far away from the lobby building
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tanque Verde Ranch? Share your experiences!