“I felt like a guest, not a visitor” 4 of 5 stars

Tanque Verde Ranch
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   14301 East Speedway Road, Tucson, AZ 85748   |
Ranked #15 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Boston, Massachusetts
“I felt like a guest, not a visitor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

The most important things you need to know about TVR are: the service is personalized and incredible, the activities and the location are spectacular, and the staff welcomes you in like old friends.

I traveled alone to the ranch during my spring break to do some hiking, riding and thinking. It was my second trip; I had been with my entire family as a teenager about 15 years ago. I knew that I wouldn't be lonely or bored during the day because of the activities, but I did worry a bit about evenings and mealtimes. I was amazed at how easy it was to join a table; other guests generally asked what my plans were and invited me to sit with them. The entire staff went out of their way to make sure I was having a great time and were able to accommodate all of my requests. The food, which is included, was better than most all inclusives and exceeded my expectations. The rooms are a bit small, but I was only ever in mine to sleep.

I had an incredible time riding. Until you're out in Tucson riding with the desert and the mountains around you, you haven't been riding. I consider myself an intermediate rider and the wranglers, particularly Jonathan, had great pointers to help me improve. Because it was a bit slow at the ranch, the rides and the lessons were very personalized. One tip, where suntan lotion no matter what time of the year. My nose and the tops of my hands (from holding reigns) got burned even in early March.

I cannot even begin to tell you how great the service was, from the wranglers, to the wait staff, to Virginia who led the hikes and Rich who taught me how to fish. I even had lunch with Bob, who owns TVR, several times and you couldn't meet a nicer guy. People return year after year to this place and are welcomed back like family, even as a stranger I was included in everything that went on.

Despite the fact that it was on the pricier end for me, I don't believe there is anywhere else I could have an experience like this and I will be back. Thanks for helping me relax before my comprehensive exams...I just finished!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

Pure serenity! If you want to see the beauty of the United States - this is the place to be. Majestic, exciting, fun, i can't say enough good things about Tanque Verde Ranch. Took my grandchildren, after arriving back home they said "okay, when can we go again? Next week??? The whole family loved it! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Jackson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Visiting Tanque Verde Ranch is a vacation that everyone needs to experience at least once in their life. However, I guarantee that you won't be able to go just once. Before you leave, you'll start planning for your next visit. Members of my family have been vacationing at TVR since the 70's. This was personally my 3rd time there. Boredom will not cross your mind the entire time you're there. There is so much to do. I pretty much stick to all the horse activities, but my family has biked, swam, played tennis, painted, gotten massages, hiked, gone to various non-horse related demonstrations and have thoroughly enjoyed each and every activity. My perspective is one of an experienced horse enthusiast. I train horses back at home. People at the barn laugh at me when I tell them I'm going to a horse ranch for vacation. They wonder how someone who rides horses every day would want to pay to go ride more horses. If they came to TVR they'd understand. For those of you who are experienced riders, I promise you that you won't be bored. The Wranglers do a fantastic job matching horses to riders' skill levels. Even my 84 year old Grandma gets out on a ride with one of their most trustworthy, laid-back horses and a Wrangler by her side. Because I typically ride horses in an arena, I thoroughly enjoy getting out and loping through endless trails and washes through the beautiful dessert/mountain scenery. The Wranglers are extremely knowledgeable and friendly. They will teach you whatever you want to learn, from basic horsemanship to more advanced maneuvers. Steve, the Program Director, is hard at work bringing more clinics and learning opportunities to the ranch. While there I saw a training demonstration put on by Lanny Leach, who is a highly accomplished NFR champion, owns and runs his own training facility in Tuscon, and has won awards participating in the Extreme Mustang Makeover. I was able to bring back with me some techniques that I will incorporate into my training program. More than anything, it's a way for me to enjoy my passion, horses, in a relaxing, beautiful atmosphere surrounded by knowledgeable horsemen ... and woman (Laurie :-) ). It's truly an all around wonderful experience, from breakfast at the homestead, to riding up and down mountains and trails that seem to go on forever, to team penning, barrel racing, and horse training demonstrations, to dinner under the stars while listening to live country music, and ending the night with dancing the two step and swing. The staff bends over backwards to accommodate you and make sure your stay is one that exceeds your expectations. The worst part of it all is leaving! A special thank you to Jonathan, Nate, Laurie, and Steve for making our vacation the best it could possibly be! You are friends that we will hold near and dear to our hearts and look forward to seeing you next December, if not sooner. Sincerely, Megan and the rest of the Wisconsin Cheeseheads!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
TanqueVerde, Program director at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, January 18, 2010
It's always great to see old friends check in. This year was really good because you brought food with you. I hope to be ask back as a cheese judge again next year. Don't forget the honey mustard. If all goes as planned we should have an obstacle course in by your next visit. Have a great day, see you in the near future. Steve
Eden prairie MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Tanque Verde Ranch is an incredible place. My grandparents have going there for at least over 20 years.... The first time I went there I was extremely shy in the kid's program. Now, 6 years later when I get to visit there I am primarily with my cousin and the staff about 75 percent of the time. I happily climb out of bed at 7:00 there throw on my cowgirl boots and get ready to go to breakfast with my family. I ride my assigned horse at least 2-3 times a day. I am extremely close to many of the staff members there.... They have been so sweet and supportive. I strongly recommend this dude ranch for practically anyone looking for a good time, fun, and adventure. By the way the food is exquisite, and the activities are always entertaining. This ranch is truly a home away from home for me....

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

My wife and I travelled to Arizona last July with our 2 children, aged 8 & 6. Tanque Verde managed to satisfy all of our requirements as a resort. Our 8 year old daughter was the most experienced rider of us all, and the most advanced of all the children in the Kid's Programme. The counsellors arranged an individual lope ride for her each day to ensure she enjoyed her stay. Our son, who was a novice rider, equally enjoyed his stay and the Kid's Programme kept both kids busy from 7am to 3pm every day. My daughter left the ranch in floods of tears! My wife and I both had some limited riding experience and with the help of the wranglers we were soon both enjoying lope rides twice a day. There is no better way to enjoy the unique scenery and wildlife of the desert. Very different to Ireland!! The accomodation and food were of a very high standard and we really enjoyed the way guest interaction was encouraged. It is a ranch and therefore more rustic than the usual 5 star resort but all the facilities that you would expect were there. The absence of television was most welcome and wi-fi access is limited to the main hotel building only. This allowed for a total break from the usual day to day stresses of life and work. All four of us were sound asleep, contented and happy by 9pm every night. We have already booked to go back next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

Truly an oasis from the hustle and bustle of life. Tanque Verde Guest ranch welcomed us with it's quiet and relaxed atmosphere like a soothing balm. The grounds are well kept, with magnificent bursts of colorful desert blooms here and there. Inspite of the lack of rain there is plenty of green grass to wiggle tired toes in after the cowboy boots come off!! There are two pools (indoor & outdoor) a waterfall in the outdoor pool that relaxes tight muscles after a long ride. Spa is discreet staffed by gifted massage therapists. If you love to ride there are plenty of varieties of riding, from slow and easy walk rides, to loping rides, lessons and expert wranglers instruct patiently for first timers! The nature Center is unique and instructional, there is fishing, mountain biking, hiking & tennis! After all of that exercise, prepare to be "well fed" by a posse of experienced Chef's. Both the Breakfast Buffet & Lunch Buffet are simply laden with just about everything you could ever desire. Fresh greens, fruit, cheeses, breads, salads and mouth watering soups every day. Fresh fish dishes accompany each lunch buffet along with two other hot buffet meat choices, with fresh hot vegetable choices as well. For the folks that have a perpetual sweet tooth....you will be instantly pleased with the Dessert Buffet which offers so many varieties I can't begin to describe....the triple layer chocolate cake...yum! This is an all inclusive retreat that include all the amenities of your stay within your nightly rate. Each one of the staff is poised and ready to satisfy your every request. We have decided that Tanque Verde has exceeded our expectations on every level, and will be our vacation destination year after year so that we can make memories and watch our family grow!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Salisbury, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

My husband and I visited the ranch for our honeymoon and could not have been more pleased with our experience. We visited during August, when the ranch is fairly quiet and were told that the quiet months are the best time to visit. The food was fantastic, plenty of choice, quality food, well prepared and presented and the accommodation, although perhaps slightly dated in parts was clean, with huge rooms and everything that you could need. Then the best part - the wranglers. My husband and I were novice riders when we arrived, and the wranglers could not have been more helpful and encouraging. Pairing you with horses for your ability, choosing appropriate walk, or lope rides for the group you were with, chatting about the area whilst out and about and providing helpful hints and tips to improve your riding. We took some of the intermediate lessons, which were well taught and long enough to give everyone a good solo go at what they were teaching. They put on an activity on our second day called team penning, where you work in a small team to herd the cattle that they have on the ranch. We enjoyed this so much that we asked if we could do it again before we left. The head wrangler changed the programme for the week so that we could do it, which we felt was superb and very kind of them as it did involve a lot of hard work on their part.
There is a small bar on site, and the bar staff are great - very friendly and will make you any cocktail that you ask for. We found this a good place to unwind after a day in the saddle. We didn't use the spa, but were told that it was excellent, however, the swimming pools were both great and the outdoor whirlpool just what you need at the end of the day.
I cannot fault this ranch, and we will be going back as soon as we can get the time off work! Thanks Tanque Verde for a great start to the honeymoon!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Tanque Verde Ranch? Share your experiences!