“a dream holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
kingswinford
“a dream holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

don't go here, you'll spoil it for me and my daughters in the future. No really' stay away and don't tell your friends !!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — cleanli
  • Disliked — no ice-creams
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
ENGLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

After a long flight from England including a 7 hour stop in San Francisco my son Mark (16) and I were met at Tuscon by a welcoming driver and taken out to Tanque Verde. Our room was huge, the AC was great and worked well which is good because in July the temperature can reach 110+ outside. Spotlessly clean with a large bathroom, a fridge and a huge french window looking out on Road Runner ridge and the desert landscape we were two happy men.

Our first ride on Sunday morning started early at 7am for a breakfast ride up to the old homestead where we were treated to our first western breakfast, there are freshly cooked pancakes, eggs, hash browns (home made not frozen and boy were they good) bacon, sausage, fresh biscuits, jam and butter and as much coffee, tea, juice and milk as you could ever need. After eating its a short ride back to the ranch. This was a great way to start our holiday. My son and I are western reenactors in England so we were keen to learn as much of what the wranglers (cowboys) do each day and how they do it and they are only too happy to talk horse and Arizona to anyone who asks, these guys know their horses. We took at least three rides a day for all but one of the seven days we were there. We only had one day off when a local fella we met in the ranch saloon took us to Tombstone for the day, the locals are just so friendly and we will always be grateful to him for a great day out. Lessons in basic and more advanced horsemanship are available free of charge and as part of the daily riding programme and will get even a total novice up to the standard required to pass the ranch Lope ride test which allows you to take part in the faster rides, we did it and had the time of our lives.

The other events like team Penning, Mountain ride, Cookout BBQ, Talks and lectures are not to be missed, We recommend going to see Tom Chambers Horse Whispering as it is just brilliant what this man can do with a horse, oh and he sings real good too. The pools and sports facilities are outstanding too and for those less keen on the horse but in love with nature then the ranch provided fantastic walks and guided hikes into the surrounding area. In short for a great western experience, great food, a landscape like no other and staff who treat you more like a friend than a paying guest we can think of no better place to visit than the Tanqe Verde Ranch, we loved it and we will be back with out a doubt.

• Liked — size and views
  • Disliked — could have used more coffee being left but more available if I asked
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Valdosta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

Our group that visited the ranch included (with ages at the time of travel): My dad (63), my mom (59), my sister (39), her husband (41), their kids (7 & 4), my brother (37), his wife (40), their kids (7 & 2), me (35), my husband (36), and our kids (9, 8 & 5). We were there for one week last June. We all take a trip together once a year and this one of our best yet. The kids (except for the 2 yr old) took riding lessons every day. They loved both pools! They also loved the kids’ activities & crafts offered by the ranch. The adults had lots of fun on trail rides and riding lessons as well. The rooms are very large and clean. They were more like little homes. The views were wonderfully unparalleled. The food was never anything less that perfect. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

Honestly, Tanque Verde was my second choice when another ranch was booked for my desired dates. I was blown away by this place, though, and it will be a first choice for me from now on.

Rooms: The ranch gave us a free upgrade on our room because they were having a special during the month of May (I think they were actually renovating the less expensive rooms, hence the upgrade). My mother and I stayed in a room with 2 queen beds and a porch. THe room was rustic but scrupulously clean. We found a bug once, but I think I let it in when I forgot to close the screen on the window. The views of the desert were beautiful. The beds had down toppers and very nice pillows. THe rooms have XM radio, which we experimented with but did not use very much. The fixtures in the bathrooms were a bit dated (pink!) but otherwise clean and in good condition. I really loved the spa shampoo, conditioner, lotion and SPF 15 lotion they provided in the rooms.

Riding: We came to ride. All riding is included in the price of the room, including the lessons. I passed the lope check and was able to take lope rides through the park, which was beautiful and exciting. My mother did the walk rides and the Intermediate lesson daily, which greatly increased her confidence and ability. She especially enjoyed the lessons taught by Laurie, who gave a lot of individual attention to all the people in the group. She felt challenged by the lessons and did not regret not taking the loping rides.

We were fortunate to come in the off-season, so were able to find favorite horses and request them on subsequent rides. I definitely recommend the breakfast ride for everyone - the ride is a nice one through the property and the owner makes great pancakes. I have read reviews from others who were disappointed in the riding experience. Riders must come expecting to ride trail horses who are sure-footed but not necessarily trained the same way as many pleasure horses. All of the horses at TV are very well trained (that I saw) and there were no accidents while I was there (although I can see that accidents might increase during the crush of busy season). These horses are working horses who get fed well, plenty of water, and they work hard for it. The wranglers are professional, and range in temperament from very attentive to gruff.

The lope check seems to be a big issue for most people. On the lope check, they want to make sure you can "sit" the lope (keep contact with the saddle and not fly out of it), keep a steady pace, steer while loping, and keep your heels down in the stirrups (so you don't lose them). Some horses are smoother than others, and easier to sit, but it is important for riders to have excellent balance on any horse while loping through the desert so I feel this test is fair. The wranglers also do an additional safety cinch check before loping on rides, which impressed me (I am very safety oriented and wore a helmet on all rides - helmets are available to borrow or you can bring your own, although only a few of us wore them).

The team penning was a lot of fun and I recommend it for all levels - having ridden English, this was an experience I had not had before. The calves seem well treated and I felt that the games we played were humane.

Food: The food was very fresh, and they provided many options for each meal (I am a vegetarian and found plenty to eat). The breakfast buffet had a lot of fresh fruit and yogurt (and food cooked to order), and the lunch buffet had a salad bar and myriad of hot options. The service was not always efficient, but we did not mind because we were not in a hurry to get anywhere! We always sat at the shared tables and got to know the other guests fairly well. Private tables are available as well.

Other ranch activities: We enjoyed learning about the desert through the nature center, and the cactus were blooming during our stay so it was quite beautiful. I regret that the tennis activities overlapped with the riding, so I did not take advantage of that activity. The Cottonwood BBQ was fun, but very chilly on the night we went, so we quickly retired to the ranch bar, which was cozy and offered billiards and drinks.

We enjoyed meeting the people from around the world, and the ranch overall exceeded my expectations. I really don't have any complaints, except that I wish I was in better shape so I could have done more activities without having to rest!

• Liked — The desert surroundings and the riding
  • Disliked — Not enough time to do everything!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

This is the 2nd visit I made to TV and they always do a great job! My only negative was that if you stay in Mi Casa, the rooms are not quite as neat and updated as the rest of the accomodations. In defense of the resort, the reservation office suggested the house as it would better accomodate my large family and that was true.

The children's program was really organized and my kids really liked it. The food as always was excellent, although one of the servers was a little cranky. The same could be said of one or more of the wranglers but the vast majority of every one working there goes out of their way to make you feel at home! Bob Cote the owner also goes out of his way to interact with the guests.

• Liked — All inclusive
  • Disliked — Rooms could be upgraded
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kent,Ct
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

For a very expensive hotel, it was very disappointing. The riding was marginal. My wife and daughter ride, I do not, so I am taking their word for it. The food was very good and quite interesting. The room was absolutely awful. It had a shower like I had in camp in 1960. The bathroom was dirty and in serious need of repair, broken windows, peeling paint, and just generally old and beat. They had a laundry room that wasn't much better. Generally very over-priced for what they are delivering. There are much better deals to be had at other guest ranches that we have stayed at in Arizona at one third the price with better facilities and nicer people.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — room and bathroom
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

We are a family of 7 with a diverse age group (4 - 20). The younger children really loved the kids club, and they did a fantastic job getting them comfortable with the horses. The older girls (16-20) we pretty neutral at best. The riding is pretty basic, even on the lopping rides. And in general the activities are "very" controlled (maybe due to insurance purposes........who knows, but it pretty much takes the fun out of it). The buildings are pretty dated by today's standards - and the pool is crowded and basic.

The staff was ok. Each night they come around to "sign-up" for activitites. The food was acceptable. The Cottonwood bbq was different - but wouldn't say it was a highlight.

We did have a very negative experience with the mountain biking. We signed up for the "intermediate" ride (which really has no detail other than we were asked if you went mountain biking in the past). Now I will say we are not experts - but did spend numerous days in summers past renting bikes on our own for the day and taking on the Telluride Trails in Colo. From the start - the head of the program was downright rude and offensive to my wife and girls.......quickly getting 3 of them to drop out due to his attitude and comments. After that - he slowed it down and said to me, the group was too big. Again along the lines of control - you couldn't take the bikes out on your own.......or for that matter do anything on your own, it was all very contolled.

We were seeking an active part of our vacation.......didn't really find it. We rented one of "the houses" - wouldn't recommend that. Granted it was peak week of Easter - but $1500/night it was not! I always appreciate other TripAdvisor posts that give you room suggestions - if you go, the newer and nicest rooms are those numbered 65-70 in my opinion.

• Liked — Good kids club
  • Disliked — very contolled activities
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Tanque Verde Ranch? Share your experiences!