“Very nice Ranch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Doha, Qatar
“Very nice Ranch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

although our group was only able to stay for one night.. it was a great stay. we did not have the time to take part in all the facilities they have to offer but we could see that it would be quite a great experience if we could.

one thing that had some people in our group nervous was spotting a very large (probably harmless) spider hidden under the bedside table, another member spotted a small scorpion on the wall.. all natural creatures of the desert of course. was not a problem for us but if your a bit squeamish you might want to check before shutting off the lights.. lol

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for visiting us at Tanque Verde, even if it was only for the one night. We're glad you were able to get a sense for the ranch during your short visit, to see that there's a ton of memories to be made at the ranch. We've got a unique environment in the Sonoran Desert, and we'd love for you to visit again to enjoy all the riding and activities available here, along with the terrific food. Thanks!

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Loved it! Huge bedrooms & lounge spaces. Fabulous food at all meal times. Superb cocktails, popcorn & pool table in the Doghouse Saloon. Lovely staff, very friendly & helpful. Horse riding was great, as was the hiking. Great swimming pool, jacuzzi & sunbathing area. Free wifi everywhere. There's even a laundry on site for just a couple of dollars. My family & I (age range 21-53) didn't leave the ranch for 3 days, that's how much we loved it.
The negatives; few & far between - bathrooms could be nicer (& warmer in winter), there are no televisions in the rooms (only in the saloon, gym & communal lounge areas), the gym is small & basic (but running round the ranch was great so that wasn't a big deal).

• Stayed January 2013
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thanks for visiting us at the ranch! We're glad you had a great experience, and hope you've made some lifelong memories. I hope you tried the prickly pear margarita in the Doghouse - and we hope you had fun with Lisa and Julianne as your bartenders. We appreciate the compliments to the staff - we have fun making sure you have fun (or get exhausted from activities)! Glad you got good time on horseback, and hope you explored the Saguaro National Park while hiking. We appreciate all your comments so we can find ways to make everyone's experiences even better, though we are kind of proud of the lack of televisions in the rooms! Thanks, and we hope you'll come back and see us again!
Hilton Head Island, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Need a break from the same 'ol, same old? I own a small retail jewelry store and, as usual, I needed to recover from the grueling Christmas selling season. Usually I would go to the Caribbean and lie on a beach for 5 days. But this was EVEN BETTER! What made my week at Tanque Verde so special was a combination of the physical beauty of the place, the incredibly friendly and patient staff, and the opportunity to exercise both mind and body. First the physical beauty. The ranch borders the Sonoran Desert which is chock full of the craziest looking cactus you ever saw! All colors! All shapes! And in the few days I was there I saw coyotes, javelinas (wild pig-like creatures), rattlesnakes, desert hares and a roadrunner. The ranch naturalist had us spell bound with lectures on cactus, venom, local Native American history and lore, etc. Tim, the handsome guy who led our mountain bike excursion, made us feel like teenagers again. The wranglers and riding instructors were so attentive and professional...and they quickly honed our riding skills. The food was delicious (get the stuffed acorn squash!) and service well paced. Best meal of all was the breakfast cookout in the mountains with blueberry pancakes. February is probably the perfect month at Tanque Verde because the air is still cool, but the sun is HOT, and it's not crowded. This is a PERFECT family vacation because there's so much to do...to learn...to experience. I returned to work a little bit tanner, a bit more in shape, and A LOT more relaxed thanks to being outside so much with such incredibly nice people. I'm going back with the whole family next time!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
We're glad you chose Tanque Verde for your after-Christmas recovery vacation! We love it when guests feels that they've made the most of their vacation with us, between the activities, food and desert scenery. Your comments are very nice, and I'll be sure that everyone, even a blushing Tim, gets to see them. The outdoor breakfast at the old homestead is a long-time favorite, and we're glad you found it that way too. We hope to see you again here at the ranch! Thanks!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Upshot: Having just finished my first vacation at the Tanque Verde Ranch, I am trying to figure out when and how I can get to go back again – that’s how good it was! During my week long vacation, the ranch exceeded all my expectations and deserves 5 stars across the board.

For those who like details: The staff at the Tanque Verde Ranch are a wonderful group who are fully committed to great customer service and providing a great vacation experience. They ALL (office staff, kitchen staff, wranglers, etc.) went above and beyond to help make my visit, celebrating my 50th birthday, a fantastic one. One example of this great service was the amazing chef, Ben, and his talented kitchen staff who custom created meals for me at each mealtime due to my severe and wide ranging food allergies. Their incredible creativity and wonderful presentation skills gave me some of the best and most memorable meals I have ever had ANYWHERE! I would never have expected that on a ranch vacation; it was a TOTAL BONUS!

The wranglers were another example of the high standard of customer service offered at the ranch. They were ALL so much fun, so helpful, and so willing to share their horsemanship know how, that I thoroughly enjoyed my week of riding and felt that I grew as a rider during my visit. In addition to the brilliant trail riding and loping rides, I particularly enjoyed the opportunity to participate in team penning, ride an obstacle course, and compete in the Funkana, which even gave me the chance to check barrel racing off of my bucket list! The wranglers know their horses well and couldn’t have given me better horses to ride during the week. They were especially kind in helping to select smooth horses for me, since I was returning to riding after a month lay-off due to a back injury. Even as an experienced rider, I felt one of the things that really helped me to get the best out of my riding time at the ranch was that I took the intermediate lesson that is offered prior to taking the lope check. I found it well worth the time to familiarize myself with Western riding technique, and also to learn about the way the ranch horses are trained, and the cues to which they respond (which is invaluable information)!

Other things of note: the ranch itself is beautiful. The terrain is stunning and quintessentially Western, and the location next to the Saguaro National Park East cannot be beaten, as it affords endless beautiful riding and hiking opportunities. The casita I stayed in was clean, nicely decorated, and generously proportioned with a stunning view. Although I did not personally participate in the biking, tennis or hiking activities offered, I heard them spoken of most highly by other guests. The gift shop at the ranch has a nice selection at fairly reasonable prices and the evening entertainments and nature center offerings were most enjoyable. The courtesy shuttle pick-up and drop-off at the airport was also much appreciated.

Based on my experience at the ranch, I could recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thanks for visiting the ranch! We're glad you made memories for a lifetime during your birthday vacation, and we appreciate your compliments to everyone here. Chef Ben and his team are phenomenal, and they take pride on everyone enjoying their creations every day. We're also pleased you took time to enjoy the amazing natural beauty of the Sonoran Desert here at the ranch, and while you were so busy riding, we hope you took a little time to relax as well! Next time, maybe you'll try the biking too! We hope to see you again at Tanque Verde. Thanks!!
Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We just got home from 5 days at Tanque Verde Guest Ranch. This place is wonderful. They have an amazing set up. The accommodations are first rate Southwestern charm with a very comfortable mattress and good linens, that you will appreciate after a busy day. The activities are well suited for anyone from experts to novice willing to give horseback riding, mountain biking, or hiking a try. The quality or the food was a delicious surprise, pack your fat clothes for late in your trip. The staff is incredible so very friendly, knowledgable, quick to serve, and work so well together that it is truly inspiring. Tanque Verde hit every high mark in one of the most beautiful settings that the southwest has to offer.

Room Tip: The casita suite has plenty of room to stretch out with beefy leather chairs and hearty furniture al...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks you so much for visiting us at the ranch! We're very pleased that you found us perfect, and that you enjoyed the array of activities here at Tanque Verde. We believe we've done our job very well when you're tired and comfortable after a day of riding and fun, but not before enjoying the food and desserts in the dining room! Your comments about our ranch team are much appreciated, and will definitely be seen by everyone here. We hope you'll come back and see us again! Thanks!
bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We booked on our first activity holiday at this wonderful resort. Initially, we were worried that we might not participate fully in the available activities, but we soon found out that there was plenty of room to try out the horse riding and mountain biking sessions. In fact, we were often the only ones signed up and enjoyed our private lessons immensely. This made the affordable holiday a bargain. We were kept so busy, we did not manage to hang out at the heated outdoor pool. The food is of a very high standard, and we explored the superb hiking at the adjacent Saguaro Park daily to keep our weight in check. Bonus encounters with local wildlife Havelina pigs, road runners, jackrabbits and one owl were special treats.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for visiting us at the ranch! We're glad you had such a good time, and glad that you got the chance to try so many activities. We try hard to plan the schedule in a way to allow for more than just horseback riding, and it seems as though you got to try much of what we have to offer. Glad you were so busy, but sorry you didn't get to relax at the heated outdoor waterfall pool! Chef Ben and the team are glad you enjoyed their creations in the dining room! Saguaro National Park is adjacent to the ranch, and we're glad you got to try some of its many hiking trails. We hope you get the chance to visit us again and experience even more! Thanks!!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Tanque Verde Ranch is a true oasis from modern urban living. We had a great time, riding horses through the saguaro cacti, relaxing in the hot tub, playing tennis from morn 'til night, shooting pool in the evening, eating pancake and egg breakfast high up in the hills, barrel-racing in the Funkana, to say nothing of the team penning, which was hilarious! For our family, there's something for everybody, we can all find as much activity or not, as we want! The sunset views are magnificent, and the vibe is relaxed and easy. Interesting guests, too, from all over the world. Easy to get to and very hospitable when you arrive, we'll be back, for sure.

Room Tip: The rooms with high ceilings and fireplaces with 2 murphy beds are well worth it; sleeping by fireli...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for visiting us at Tanque Verde Ranch! We're especially glad you go tthe sense of an oasis, stepping out of reality into a simpler time, as that is exactly what we strive for. It sounds like you got to try almost everything we have to offer, and found more than a little for everyone in your family. Team Penning is one of the most popular activities, and you got right into the spirit! We hpoe you get the chance to come back and see some more of our sunsets! Thanks!!

Been to Tanque Verde Ranch? Share your experiences!