“Disappointed.” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #14 of 127 hotels in Tucson
“Disappointed.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

My stay brought more headaches then I could have imagined. I will not be recommending this place anytime soon due to the lack of communication between management and guests when there are serious problems that need urgent attention and care.
Not only was this a problem, but Casa West's porch (where the general manager lives on the resort) was trashed when we passed it on a walk ride. What kind of a manager doesn't care to respect the place that he works at? I was greatly disappointed.
But there is still hope for the future. The ranch needs to invest in updates in the room ASAP, and fire a lot of their management staff.
On a positive note the riding was fantastic (Zack Mike and Mark are the best!), the dinners were great once the ranch emptied out, Rick, who drove us to the airport was lovely, and Juan, was the only person in the entire office (including the management staff) that was able to bring a smile to our faces. He is a gem. Also Lisa at the bar is a great bartender who cares about her job , and Brenna (food&bev. manager) is phenomenal. Outside of that though the place needs a serious upgrade.

• Stayed January 2013
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your visit to the ranch, and tha nk you for your comments. We know you mean well, and always want to listen to our guests to make sure we can always improve. We especially appreciate your compliments to the individual staff members. We'd like to be able to discuss any disappointment with you personally, and you are welcome to call me at the ranch, at 520-296-6275.

403 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have been going to Tanque Verde Ranch for over 20 years. It has only improved over time.

First and foremost the service is unbeleivable. Whatever you ask for the staff try to accomodate.

When I started going I was single and would go to ride. Later, I conviced my law partners to do a firm retreat there. It was the best retreat we ever had. This year I took my 8 year old twins.

I was delighted to find that there is now a fantastic kids program. My kids typically don't like kids' programs and on the first day they announced they would not be participating in it. By lunch time they were asking to have lunch in the kids only dining room and by day 2 they were doing riding lessons, trail rides, tennis etc. in the kids program. The staff were fantastic.

The rooms are very nice, the food is great and the activities are really fun. Although I didn't try it this time, I saw team penning which is basically a bunch of adults on horses in a corral trying to get a bunch of cows into a pen. What a hoot! City Slickers all the way.

My son also got a private mountain biking lesson (his first time) and said it was the hightlight of his life.

I can't say enough about this wonderful place. I highly recommend this ranch for singles, couples, families and corporate groups.

Most people are repeat guests. Some have gone every year for up to 30 years. There were a lot of large family reunion or anniversary type trips.

It is a very relaxed, fun ranch in the middle of the beautiful Arizona dessert.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for visiting us again at the ranch. We're always glad to see folks return, and thank you so much for your fantastic comments. While there are some folks who've been here as long as you've been coming out, you make us newer folks feel great by saying we only get better. We're always glad when kids (and adults!) enjoy the kids programs and the kids counselors love getting the letters and emails from the kids after they head home. Next time, you've got to try the team penning - it's one of the most popular activities! We're espeically glad your son got a lifelong memory with the biking lesson - and we love being able to take care of individual requests like that. Thanks again for visiting us, and we can't wait to see you and your family next time.
Santa Monica, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed with our small children over the holidays last month. The kids program has riding twice a day, which is really great, but otherwise their activities were lacking, it was more about killing time between rides to be honest, so we took them out early and would go to one of the pools (also lovely). It meant that for us, we weren't really able to take part in the adult only activities (riding, biking, hiking etc) because our kids are under 12 and excluded from joining in (which is wise, but not the best). But we'd rather spend time with our children than apart from them. Santa visited on Xmas eve and that was superb. He was hilarious and the children all got gifts and told Xmas related jokes (some of which were indeed, funny).
Overall, we loved the atmosphere. Everyone working there was super helpful and friendly and down to earth. The food is actually amazing, all the time - including the Wednesday night cook-out food, which was super tasty. That night there was live entertainment, a talented Western singer / guitarist and the whole event was a delight - bonfires dotted around between family tables and still people to help clean up after you.
Check out was a muddle and we were accidentally overcharged $1000 - but it was corrected. I would say that for city people used to slick hotels, this is a different experience, but a great one. We will definitely return, but perhaps when our children are a little older due to the separation issues inherent in the program.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely, private and with views. Some are much closer to the dining room / activiti...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for visiting us at the ranch! We're glad your family had fun over the holiday! We're glad you felt what we hope our guests always feel - that staying at the ranch is stepping a bit out of reality. We're pleased you enjoyed the food and the Cowboy BBQ Cookout with live music, and all the activities you were able to take part in. The kids program is a hugely popular part of the ranch experience, and we appreciate your comments so that we can keep finding ways for making it, and the ranch, better in all ways. We hope you come back out to visit us at the ranch. Thanks!
Morehead City, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I planned this trip googling tennis/horseback riding in AZ and was not disappointed. Booked two rooms. Loved the riding, tennis, mtn biking, hiking, watercolor workshop, mineral/gem presentation.bird watching and more. Always busy. Food was delicious. No TV in rooms...so what! Get outside and enjoy! Tennis pro was rude when I asked too many questions about his credentials, but saw I was miffed and warmed up nicely. Male wranglers were a bit surly...but they are cowboys...it was comical! Only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is due to reservation problems very similar to another reviewer's experience. Leigh Ann offered upgrades and a comp but still didn't have my reservation straight at check in, even though I had a very specific email to/from her spelling it all out. Ask for Juan, get it all in writing, and you will have a very fun vacation! I'd give it a 4 l/2 rating because it was better than good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for visiting us at the ranch, we're glad you had a great time! It's great to see you talk about the lee obvious activities, like the watercolor, the mieral and gems, and bird watching, because it's so easy to just think about all the riding folks do here. We're glad you got the chance to do so much, and we'd love to see you back at the ranch again. Thanks!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

I loved this ranch. I enjoyed all of the activities from hiking to horseback riding, to biking, etc. They have it all. It's well organized and you can really stay busy all of the time with so many fun things to do. The food is really good, too. Great bar with some fun bartenders. I will be going back and bringing my sales team from work with me, too. PS - My horse, Tiny, was the best. I miss him! Smile!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Tiny misses you too! We'd love for you to visit him again soon! We're also glad you had such a good time, and made it a fun, memorable, active vacation, taking advantage of everything the ranch has to offer. The food is awesome, and we're glad you enjoyed what Ben's team created during your visit. The Doghouse Saloon is a blast, and Lisa and Julianne love to make you their specialties. Just give us a call and we'll make arrangements for your sales team to have a great retreat or meeting here at the ranch. Thanks again!
Dublin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We drove through Saguaro National Park and then went to the ranch as my local relatives had heard rave reviews of the buffet. We were all disappointed. The food was okay but just your basic buffet food. Nothing special at all. In fact, my husband even passed on eating as the buffet options did not appeal to him. Someone else in the party picked up the tab but I see in another review that the cost was $18. I feel bad now because it certainly was not worthy of $18. We were never even offered a refil of our drinks. I was floored at the conditions that the horses were kept in at the coral. I find it hard to believe that animal control officials allow that. We are from horse country in Texas and you would never find so many horses in such a confined space. I did notice on the way to the main dining room that there was a Kids Only dining room. I thought that was a great touch if you were staying there with kids. I also saw some employees with kids outside and the kids seemed to be having a blast. If you are a city dweller and want the dude ranch experience for your kids this would probably be a good choice. For somone local wanting a nice fancy buffet for a special experience, it is not worth the drive.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting with us along the edge of the Saguaro National Park. We love it when folks come up for a visit, after either driving through, or doing some hiking nearby at the Douglas Springs Trailhead. I'm sorry, however that you were disappointed in your lunch. If you find yourself in Tucson, I hope you'll let me know personally, as we'd love for you to visit with us again. You're right - the dude ranch experience for guests is amazing, and the kids program is one of the family highlights, but there's just as much for adults, with mountain biking, hiking, fishing, and all the riding. Thanks for visiting!
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and 3 year old daughter stayed in November for three nights. It was, in all respects, one of the best and most memorable short vacations we have taken. Starting from our arrival on Wednesday, checking into the wonderful spacious and western-themed room, and then heading to the magical and tasty barbecue in cottonwood grove, complete with three huge bonfires and live western music. The view from our room was sublime desert and mountain scenery. All of the staff were wonderful and polite. My daughter loved the horses and the staff were very accommodating in letting her around the animals in a safe and fun way, even though she was too young for the official kids club program. The variety of activities was very impressive, the restaurant food was great, and the saloon was throwback in time. We will definitely be back soon!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for making the trip to visit us at the ranch. We're pleased you had a memorable family vacation, and it won't be long before your daughter can be an official buckaroo in the kid's program. We're glad you got a good feel for the ranch, and took in as many activities as you did, enjoying the cowboy BBQ at the Cottonwoods, complete with live music, and the fantastic food. I'm sure Lisa was a hoot for you in the Doghouse Saloon! Thanks for visiting, and we lood forward to seeing you next time!

Been to Tanque Verde Ranch? Share your experiences!