“Treated badly” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Treated badly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I tried to take advantage of Tanque Verde's advertised 50% off black friday/cyber monday special - supposed to be 50% off their published rates. I reviewed their rates and availability before deciding to book two rooms for our family. When I called to book, "Bea" told me the rates on their website were wrong (too low) but that she thought they could honor them. Bea "put us in the system", taking names, addresses, phone numbers and emails, to hold the rooms/dates until she was able to talk to her supervisor to confirm they would honor their published rate, mistaken thoguht it was. She promised to call me back that same day or the next morning at the latest to confirm the rate and take my deposit. That was 5 days ago. I checked caller id to make sure they didn't call and simply not leave a message. I emailed yesterday for a status as well. No communication from them whatsoever. I guess we all know what the answer is on the rates.

I don't care so much about them not honoring their rates and discount - if I had gotten the promised call back, I probably would have gone ahead and booked at the "Normal" rate with the discount if that was their decision. I am much more upset about them leaving me hanging without a response. I have no idea if I have vacation plans now or not, and I feel like they are dealing with their mistake by simply "dodging" my inquiries. They are the ones who published the rate and the special discount. I have been treated in a very inconsiderate and unprofessional manner, and Tanque Verde shoudl be embarassed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your comments. Thanks also for taking advantage of the Cyber-Monday special that was offered for 50% off of our published all-inclusive ranch rates. When you spoke to Bea in our reservations office, she made your reservation, at the rates you discussed with her, and a confirmation was sent, so I apologize for any misunderstanding with your reservation. I especially apologize that she did not connect with you within 24 hours to confirm with you verbally. Should you have any other questions, I hope you'll please call me to address any concerns personally for you. We'd love to see you at the ranch!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Tanque Verde Ranch

I was put in charge of planning a trip for The Feline and I.

I wasn’t exactly sure what the right plan was but I guessed (correctly) that renting a bike somewhere hot and riding 500 miles a day wasn’t quite what she had in mind, so I tried to think outside the saddle. And that’s when it hit me, what about trading in the bike saddle for a different type of saddle. HAHA!!!

So I started searching for a place to go horseback riding. Bu not just anywhere: it had to be warm, have a pool, a spa (obviously), good food, and not break the bank. And thank you internet; Arizona!!

The Tanque Verde Ranch is nestled up against the Rincon Mountain Range on the outskirts of Tucson.

As opposed to some dude ranches that embrace the rustic feel, this place is almost luxurious. From the pool with the waterfall,

to the spa with enough treatments to pamper the woman in your life, to the beautiful spacious room, we never felt like we were roughing it.

They offer extras such as country cookouts, pancake breakfasts, riding lessons, episodes of The Lone Ranger poolside in the evenings, a saloon, and even tennis courts in case you travel with your togs (that word makes me feel weird).

And of course, there are horses. Tanque Verde has one of the largest dude ranch stables in the US and they’re quite careful about who they’ll let go on what rides, so in order to go on a loping ride, for example, you actually need to pass a test. You, along with a dozen or so other people, go into a corral and follow a wrangler around the fence-line. You need to gallop, stop, and then gallop again, all while showing control of your steed.

It’s a good system in theory but from what I saw the wranglers were passing people who did NOT have control of their horse (yep, talking about me and a tenacious fat kid who took the test twice a day ‘til they finally passed him), while NOT passing some people who looked pretty solid in the saddle.

And speaking of the wranglers; be prepared not to be coddled by them. Some are friendly, some not so much. This was my one pet peeve; when I pay this much money I prefer not to feel like I’m in some way inconveniencing the people who work there.

However, other than some of the wranglers needing to read Miss Manners, Tanque Verde is top notch and I’d recommend it.

If you do go, say hi to Juan at the front desk for me; he’s pretty much as nice a person as you’ll ever meet.

Tanque Verde Ranch in Arizona gets 4 out of 5 yeehaws from me. I’ll see again from somewhere else.

Room Tip: We chose the Hacienda as most online resort's pictures seem to make the rooms look bigger than t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for choosing Tanque Verde for your vacation - you had a tough assignment, but you had such a good time, I think you made a choice that allows you to have memories to last a lifetime. Juan appreciated the shout-out, and was thrilled that you enjoyed your visit so much. We appreciate all your comments, and will use your comments to make sure that all our guests have the same chance to have as much fun (safely!) as you did. We hope you'll trade saddles again some time! Thanks!
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I came to TVR with my dad. It had been a dream of his to try out some real Western style riding for a long time, and he had finally gotten around to booking it.

We have both ridden English style back in the UK for many years, so we were a little unsure of what to expect on the riding front, but the wrangling staff are all brilliant and made us feel at home straight away. The rides were absolutely awesome, with walking rides for those of us who are a little rusty, and loping rides for the more experienced riders. Either way, the views are amazing and you can't help but love being out there. The lessons are also extremely beneficial to get you loping if you're not used to the Western style of riding.

Needless to say, the food was incredible; a lot of choice and all very tasty. The accommodation is also faultless. We were in Quail Hollow, which has a little courtyard with a fountain in the middle. This was a great place to sit and relax and watch the wildlife.

There are endless activities to do, walking, mountain biking, aqua aerobics, or even just sitting by the pool. This was a unique and amazing holiday, and I would love to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for making the long trip to Tanque Verde for your vacation! It's fantastic that you found us to be a unique and amazing holiday, because that's what we'd like for all of our guests - the chance to spend so much time enjoying the ranch activities, and it appears that's just what you did. There's something for everyone, and for all levels of riding experience, but there's so much more to do besides ride, and I think you made your own perfect blend of activities. We'd love for you to return, and hope to see you again! Thanks, and cheers!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We've taken dozens of family vacations over the years with family members ranging from 1 to 90 years old, mostly at luxury resorts. This is hands down the best place we have been. The room rates are a bargain, because everything is included except alcohol, sodas and some spa treatments. Included in the room rates are airport transfers, use of tennis rackets and tennis balls, all activities (including guided off-property hiking trips) and of course 3 meals a day and snacks. The food has always been decent, but recently got even better. Many rooms have spectacular views of the desert. Saguaro National Park, only steps away from the ranch, is unique in the world. Enormous cactus species blanket miles of desert, and are fully represented on the grounds of the ranch. You can't see this anywhere else in the world.

We've stayed at plenty of fancier places. (There is no TV in most rooms or room service.) But we haven't found any place more fun.

We have been to TVR many times, and will return many more.

Room Tip: Avoid the very cheapest rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We're so glad you considered your visit with us to be a dream come true! Thanks for visiting with us, and it's terrific that you enjoyed the ranch for everything it offers, from scenery and the ability to relax, to the activities, horseback riding, biking, hiking, and even tennis (including asking Darrell for time as your personal tennis pro). Having fun on the ranch is what a vacation here is all about, and we're pleased that this was what you and your family did here! We hope to see you again! Thanks!!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We LOVE TVR! This was our fourth visit, and the place feels like home. Front desk reception is so welcoming! (Hi Juan!) Activities directors Melissa and Megan immediately get you into the swing of things, and make sure you have a blast.Chef Ben's Southwestern cuisine is on par with any highly rated Zagat restaurant around. Delicious, beautifully presented, paired with an excellent wine list, and served by attentive, friendly wait staff that remembers you from the year before! Try one of Lisa's margaritas at the Saloon: the best! Especially when she makes them while hulahooping! And the weekly picnics (both lunch and dinner) at the outdoor venue are not to be missed. Great steaks, music and fun. Our gorgeous room with an amazing desert vista is immaculate, comfortable and spacious. My daughter loves the kid's program SO much she's already begging me to tell them she's still 12 next year, so she can stay in it! There is hiking, mountain biking and fishing to be enjoyed. My husband shipped his road bike from NJ so as to ride some of the most iconic roads in the US. And he's back into tennis, thanks to excellent coaching by Mr. D at the courts! But as a life long equestrian and hunter-jumper rider, I go there for the western riding. Well trained horses and a talented wrangling staff make each ride unique and memorable. The Harmony with Horses program is awesome, and Lisa B tailors it to your specific riding needs. Mark, Jonathan, Mike, Rebecca, Alyssia, Caitlyn, Casey (who am I missing???) are ALL knowledgeable professionals with a knack in matching the horse to the rider, and maintaining safety and enjoyment for clients. It amazes me to read any reviews here criticizing their hard work and dedication. If youve never been on a horse, hold onto the horn and enjoy a quiet walk ride. Yes, it's the desert, so if you dont want to trust a seasoned trail horse veteran up and down a rocky mountain, walk up there instead. If you only ride occasionally, maybe some great lessons from the staff will prepare you for the loping that takes place. This is not cookie cutter, ring-only, nose to butt lope riding. Its the real thing, on a herd animal that can occasionally spook, trip, and misbehave, and that needs the wrangler's strong presence and your own good seat. I roll my eyes at those that barely ride but want to pass the lope check the moment they arrive... and then complain if they dont OR if they do and have a "bad experience". Horses are not automatons, and wranglers need to discipline and control them (as well as us:)) TVR offers the best of both worlds: a safe, quiet ride in a beautiful environment for the non-rider, and a more challenging, exciting ride for the advanced. And take some of their stellar lessons if you are in between. Cant wait to visit next year!

Room Tip: We love the bigger rooms on Javalina Heights, but some of the smaller ones nearer the Main Lodge are...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your return vacation at Tanque Verde, and we are thrilled that you had such a good time. It's true - our oft-returning guests become our family, and we love knowing that you had so much fun again this year, and I'll make sure that everyone mentioned by name knows you've said hello. If your daughter's twelve again next year, then she's twelve! The kids program is one of the biggest hits here, but as you so nicely put it, there's tons to do here, and it's all fantastic! We appreciate and share your passion for Tanque Verde, and will keep on doing what we do until you're back next time! Thanks again,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I, daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons visited TVR in October 2012. We stayed for 7 days/8nights. From the time we were picked up at the airport until we were dropped off at the airport we had the most wonderful vacation. Jerry was waiting for us at the airport and risked us away to TVR. We had wonderful adjoining rooms where we could watch the most beautiful sunsets. Our grandsons, 5 and 9 thoroughly enjoyed the kid's program and couldn't wait each day to join their new found friends. There were plenty of activities for the adults. We rode every day ( several of us were new riders), took nature and bird watching hikes, fished, water-painted the skyline, enjoyed the spa, mountain biking and ate as if there was no tomorrow. The staff was exception in all areas and activities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Andrew_F_TVGR, Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to Tanque Verde Guest Ranch, and we are thrilled to know that you had a wonderful vacation with us. We're happy that your grandsons enjoyed the kids activities, as that is one of the best programs here. We're glad that you were well taken care of by our team of wranglers, to make sure that you were instructed, safe and had fun on the rides, and we hope you consider yourself a more experienced rider after a week on horseback! I'm particularly pleased that you took the time to relax and enjoy the nature and sunsets here at the ranch, and, of course, glad that our team took good care of you and your family in all areas. We hope we see you again at the ranch! Thanks again,

Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Did not stay at the hotel, but drove to the east end of Speedway early on a Thursday morning to do the breakfast ride. After paying $80 with taxes, we were plunked on a horse, given very little instruction and sent off up the hill on a 45-minute ride up a narrow trail to our breakfast. The front desk staff acted as though they had never booked a ride before and it took forever to complete the transaction.

The scenery was alright... nothing more than you can see from the highway and the horse was cantankerous, wanting to stop to eat vegetation all along the trail. The wrangler wanted me to discipline my horse, but did not give me any instruction how to do so. Once at the top, again very little instruction or even conversation took place.

The breakfast was fine... pancakes, eggs, toast, juice and coffee.

The trip back down the hill took maybe 10 minutes and that was it! No "come back again", no "did you enjoy yourself?", just "get off the horse, we're finished".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent visit to Tanque Verde Guest Ranch. I'm sorry that the breakfast ride did not meet your expectations. The Sunday and Thursday breakfast rides are a hallmark of the ranch, and are a terrific western experience. I appreicate your comments so that we can continue to improve on this activity to make sure that all visitors have a memorable and enjoyable ride, and are matched up well, based on riding experience, to individual horses. Thank you for your feedback.

Tanque Verde Guest Ranch

Been to Tanque Verde Ranch? Share your experiences!