“Well Beyond My Expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
5000 E. Via Estancia, Tucson, AZ 85739   |
Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Los Angeles, California
“Well Beyond My Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I went to Mirival in mid December with some family. I have had a tough year and was really excited to get there and experience what I had only heard about at that point. Beside the beautiful scenery I was very impressed with the tranquility. The location is wonderful, pushed up against the base of some mountains it offers a really relaxing feel. During my stay I had opted to try some of the challenges and to my surprise they were more difficult than expected. Not in a physical way, but more just mentally and emotionally challenging for me. I also had the chance to participate in some spa and one on one courses. For me, this was a wonderful experience. The food was great, staff was more than helpful and it really allowed me the time I needed to relax, look within myself and focus on my family relationships. I would recommend Mirival to anyone looking for a life changing experience!

P.S. I am surprised that no one else had mentioned the beds.. Thank god that Mirival sells them cause I bought one as I was leaving.. Very comfortable!

• Stayed December 2010
bpurvis1, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so glad that we were able to provide the physical and emotional space for you to refocus your life on the aspects that are most important to you. It's true what you say about the Challenge Course - often the greatest challenge is breaking through the mental barriers we've created within ourselves rather than the physical "challenge" itself. Thank you again for sharing; and, I hope to see you back at Miraval soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

An extraordinary property with staff, food and service to match. From the moment I was graciously met at the entrance after a seamless, friendly and comfortable transfer from the airport, I felt the specialness--all had been thoughtfully organized, check in was a breeze, the place radiates tranquility and beauty. The property is beautifully landscaped with desert trees, cacti, and a rushing (manmade, but lovely) stream that meanders through the property. Rooms were totally comfortable with every convenience (sorry I only discovered the large make-up mirror stowed under the sink on my last day) and a lovely tea and coffee service that I used everyday. Bedding was extraordinarily comfortable and immaculate. I had to change rooms after the first night because of a neighbor who kept their TV on till all hours, and this was also handled quickly and efficiently, and I never had another moment's disturbance.
Everyone who plays a part in bringing this place up to the high standards it maintains deserves congratulations. It's hard to cover all the bases, but let me try--the staff in the restaurant is warm, helpful, efficient, the food is marvelous and I am pretty fussy about that--gourmet health food is the best description, and with very few exceptions everything was delicious. In the afternoon there was always a lovely offering of hors d'oeurves in the bar area; the coffee/smoothie bar is brilliant, and the espressos with hot milk in the morning really hit the spot. The kitchen bent over backwards to accommodate another guest who wanted no gluten, sugar, or animal protein, and everything came out with a smile, looking gorgeous.
The spa area was beautiful and well-maintained, and I loved my massages. I swam in one of the pools and had it all to myself on that occasion, it was so peaceful. All of the public rest-rooms were immaculate, really perfect. And let me mention that whoever came up with the idea of restricting cell-phone use to one's room or the lovely Palm Court area is a genius; the profound peace and tranquility that suffuses this property would not be the same with everyone chattering away into their phone, it's a brilliant touch, thank you! The beautiful views over the mountain from the dining patio, the clear starry skies scented with desert plants at night, the rush of the water over the rocks in the stream, it all made for a very special peaceful, healing time.

The fitness offerings are also commendable with only a few suggestions for improvement. First, the hiking is fabulous, don't miss it; especially Romero Canyon, absolutely divine and plenty good exercise. The waist-packs all set up for you with water bottles are a great help and very comfortable; they even packed a light lunch for the longer hikes, even when we were due back at Miraval in time for lunch. Mountain biking was challenging, watch out for the cactus! Staff for both hiking and biking were helpful and attentive, and just plain nice. The fitness offerings indoors and in the pool were mostly very good. Each and every yoga teacher was wonderful; yoga outdoors looking out over the mountains was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. Three out of four of the fitness instructors for non-yoga classes in the Body Mindfulness center were great; on one occasion, with only two students in the class, the instructor customized routines for each of us at exactly the right level so that it was challenging for both. Only one instructor could stand to re-think her approach; instead of making any effort to connect with the students in the class (Roll With It) to see if they were understanding her directions, or if anyone was in pain or uncomfortable, she just babbled about anatomy and threw in as many Latin anatomical terms as she could, all the while ignoring everyone in the room. I say this as a lifetime serious athlete and former ballet dancer, so if she had me at sea, what about the rest of the students? I immediately checked the board to see which classes she was teaching and made sure to avoid them all. No worries, every one else was wonderful and there were plenty of classes to go around. They would do well to lengthen some classes; 30 minutes are not enough for a serious workout, although you can link a few classes together. Meditation was soothing and relaxing.

Finally, when I left, (ever so sadly!) I lingered by the entrance waiting for my transfer, and happened to notice a fragrant plant that I wanted to know the name of. No one knew, and I imagined I would find out on my next visit. Wouldn't you know, half an hour into my ride to the airport, the car phone rang--they had found out the name and wanted to get it to me. I challenge you to find that level of service and attentiveness elsewhere! --Here's hoping they continue to offer some attractive packages like the ones on Jetsetter; the more they can do this, the more I'll return--how's every four months sound? Kudos to Miraval, it's a gem.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
bpurvis1, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your Miraval experience in such detail. It's nice to hear all the specific ways that our staff, programming, and spa made a positive impact on you during your stay. We love hearing anecdotes like yours about learning the name of the plant that was in the lobby while you were in the van to the airport. Looking forward to having you back at Miraval again in the near future!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Stayed 4 nights on Dec 25 - 29 2010 at Miraval. I revelled in the activities, spa treatments, service, other guests, workshops and sheer beauty of the scenery.

I had great massages by Lucy and Wendy, a nice facial from Latifah, and an ayurvedic oil massage/treatment by Connie. All were wonderful....my favorite was Lucy b/c she worked in some reiki at the end which was out of this world.

I took so many fun classes. I loved:
- Cardio Dance Zumba - so joyous and fun!
- I Chi Flow - tai chi in the 98 degree pool followd by a hot tub dip - very relaxing/soothing
- Quantum Leap - jumping off a 35 foot pole in a safety harness - challenges you to face your fears and build confidence
- Evening Photography Walk - learned some great new techniques from a talented teacher
- Introductory Mountain Biking techniques - 1 hour lesson followed by 1 hr moderately dificult bike ride
- Workshop on Breathwork - amazing teachings from a yoga instructor on ways to relax the body with the right inhales and exhales

The food was good. Not amazing but really nice. Service outstanding...and plentiful teas, smoothies, cookies, fruits, and more at all hours

What I liked best...the other guests at Miraval who were amazing people. We were all likeminded souls...

On our many activities, I met kind and loving people...including a voiceover actress from LA, a highly successful entertainment lawyer, 2 wonderful therapists, a leading magazine publisher, one of advertising's top creative strategists, 3 successful, female entrepreneurs, and more. It was great networking ... not that I sought it out but was thrilled to find such wonderful people!! Even STEVE CASE who owns Miraval was there for his own vacation with his wife!

This is a magical place...supposedly it sits on sacred Native American ground. The viewsof the mountains are peaceful. And service on every day, in every way, was top-notch! Really special.

Shout out to Patrick - our van driver back to the airport. Even he was kind and sweet.

Thank you Miraval for bringing me back to my core!

PS-The only minor compliants I have is that in room 220 the bath did not drain properly or as well as it should have but it wasn't a big deal...and at night they don't have much entertainment...would be nice if they had musicians or comics....and hope they can implement that at least twice a week as an option.

• Stayed December 2010
Thank you so much for your review! It sounds as though you had a very well-rounded Miraval experience trying various spa services, fitness classes, and outdoor adventure activities. We love that! I find it particularly interesting that you found your fellow Miraval guests to be "likeminded souls" and hope that we have inspired you to come back and bring some friends or loved ones of yours who would benefit from what we have to offer. Thank you again for sharing and don't worry - I have personally asked our maintenance team to make sure that the bathtub in room 220 is draining properly! Looking forward to your next visit!
Palm Desert, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Just returned home after an incredible five days at Miraval. I read reviews before my trip, and I can't believe that people have complaints about this glorious resort. I was so impressed by how well everything runs--from check-in to check-out. Check-in is handled by one of the guest services staff who books your spa appointments as well as taking you on a tour of the property and gives you an orientation to Miraval. The room which I had read on reviews as "dark and dreary" was lovely. This is the desert, so buildings are situated to provide outdoor space and remain comfortable in the heat. The bathroom space was well designed with all the amenites such as magnified make-up mirrors, good lighting, an abundance of luxurious towels that are restocked twice a day, coffee maker with Miraval's own blend of coffee, bottled water daily, refrigerator, roomy walk-in shower, and beds to die for. The entire staff, including housekeepers, groundskeepers, dining room servers are so friendly and helpful that you start thinking that you want to come back to this place over and over again. The spa services are fabulous, the challenge course is a total blast, the food is so tasty you can't believe that it is good for you, the specialists who have interesting and inspiring talks as well as consults, the unbelievable range of exercise and yoga classes, hiking, mountain biking, horses, golf--and it's all included! This is truly an all-inclusive resort--you pay extra if you order a bar drink. Lattes, cappucinos, smoothies from the juice bar are all included. There are beautiful common areas in which to relax and gather. The place feels magical. In short, you will not be disappointed in this place. This is one of the best values I have ever found--well done, Miraval!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
bpurvis1, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 28, 2010
I'm so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. We are certainly proud of our team here and it's great to hear that the enthusiasm that we all have for Miraval shows through on a daily basis to our guests. Thank you so much for all the kind words and for taking the time to share your Miraval experience with others. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

This was our first visit-we can't wait to return! As life long friends and full time mothers our time alone together is precious. We came to Miraval in need of rejuvenation and found that and far more. In short we left full of bliss.

Miraval is indeed a very special place-a place where one can take advantage of as little or as much as one needs. On staff is a group of instructors and healers that have found their calling.

We were inspired to hike beyond " fifty" by a wonderful woman who led us on a beautiful hike through the desert. She was an inspiration for what fitness can be regardless of age. We savored delicious and healthful food. We left the Equine Experience enlightened and quite frankly in awe. I learned valuable nutrition information, had a ball at Zumba and thoroughly enjoyed the nurture body work. Skillfully aware with Mark gave us meditative practice to serve a lifetime. Dr. Tim Frankt is an amazing healer. It is clear that each of the staff takes great pride and are highly skilled and gifted in what they practice. The staff is special and impacted our lives in such a positive manner.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
It is so nice to hear about your first visit to Miraval and and of all the signature programming that you experienced. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our new Nurture spa service. It's definitely one of the most luxurious treatments we offer. I agree with you that our specialists, spa therapists, and staff are what makes this place so special; and, it's such a pleasure to know that so many of them touched you and made your stay memorable. We look forward to having you here again soon!
Florence Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

Just an amazing experience, from the beautiful grounds, the spa aminities, the relaxing environment, the beautiful food and the spiritual awakening. There is no place like it. Arizona has the most plentiful and varied species of birds in the US and they are everywhere. The food is the best ever and we were served by Caitlyn McCormick, the prettiest and most precious girl every night, she made our stay a total pleasure as did all the staff there. Our room was unblievable and there was a Labyrinth just outside our padio. There were also many seminars to sooth your soul. Treat yourself to this magnificient resort in the desert.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for singing our praises! We are always so pleased to hear about experiences like yours. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed dining in our Cactus Flower Restaurant - I'll be sure to pass your kind words along to Caitlin. We look forward to your next visit!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

A stroll around the grounds of Miraval and you instantly know you’re encountering something special. A combination of heart, soul, health, luxury and spirit greets you with each Miraval experience. I just returned from a four day stay at this amazing resort/spa and feel like I’ve been on vacation for weeks.
At Miraval…. You wake up to the sounds of the many fountains and streams on the property as well as views of the desert at its best. It’s hard to pull yourself out of bed after a nights rest on a pillow top mattress with feather bed topper and the best in luxury hotel linens.
Attention to detail at Miraval is evident. Not in a pushy…over the top kind of way….. but more of a very well thought out plan that creates an environment of total relaxation with the opportunity to experience a wide range of activities that can challenge, inspire or simply nurture.
A key component to the Miraval experience is the staff. The resort has a strict “no gratuity” policy which elevates the one on one relationship with each service provider to a more professional level than you find in other properties.
I was amazed at not only the level of genuine hospitality that was encountered but it was obvious that each Miraval staff member truly believes in the life balance culture of Miraval.
During my stay I was refreshed by the accommodations and spa services….. I was challenged by the fitness programs and wide range of classes and I was pampered by the incredible cuisine and service. It just doesn’t get much better than this…..

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Wow. Thank you so much for sharing about your visit. You're absolutely right about the environment setting the tone for ultimate relaxation - I'm here everyday and still find myself struck by the beauty of the desert landscape when there is a beautiful sunset or a hummingbird hovering nearby, etc. It's so nice to hear the appreciation in your words for all that our staff does. I know that it is our therapists and specialists that sets Miraval apart, so thank you. Looking forward to your return trip!

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!