“Look Out For Hidden Costs” 4 of 5 stars

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
5000 E. Via Estancia, Tucson, AZ 85739   |
Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Tucson, AZ
“Look Out For Hidden Costs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

Three is a charm or at least one hopes this to be the case when visiting a spa like Miraval.

Over the past few years, the winter economy has come South. There have been cut backs in staff and quality of programs. Most of the speakers seemed to be doing promotions for their services instead on imparting what used to be very helpful information about lifestyle choices.

The meals are still very good and the juice bar has wonderful mint lemonade, which proved to be addictive.

The newest addition to the soft adventure: the Zipline, cost extra and was not as thrilling as the (free) Swing and a Prayer.

The sting came at the end of the visit as the price of the spa services or one on one meetings did not include taxes and gratuities. So imagine, a massage for $130 became a massage for over $160. Please.

I do not recall these deep pocket additions from previous visits. What looked to be a good deal in comparison to Canyon Ranch prices, became less so.

I suppose you could get a good deal if you did not use the spa or other consultations but then you would be missing a full spa experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Just returned from my 8th trip to Miraval. I've gone to other resorts/spas but nothing compares...across the board. REJUVENATING and RELAXING. Just what I needed to recharge my batteries.

If you haven't been to Miraval, you need to go! You won't want to leave.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
bpurvis1, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 28, 2010
Your 8th trip to Miraval! Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your love for Miraval with the world. We are so appreciative of guests like you who serve as ambassadors and continually share the gift of Miraval with others. We hope to see you back again soon!
la jolla
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I am vegan and had a terrible time with the food at Miraval. I've been to the resort 4 times and, while all have been life changing, I will not go back. The service has gone downhill since 2005 and the staff needs training. The restaurant did not even know what the word Vegan meant. Each meal I had to explain that I don't eat fish, dairy, or animal products or even honey. Once they understood what I meant by the word Vegan, they didn't know how to prepare vegan food. Throwing a thick raw slab of tempeh or tofu on the grill is terrible for such a high end resort. In the end, the management refunded me for the food, but honestly, I sadly can no longer recommend Miraval - unless you are a heavy meat eater.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Positives:
- Thought the photography class was great. Did ~ 2 hours of photos and then was able to burn a disc to take home.
- Really enjoyed all the workout classes and hikes.
- Food overall was very good. For dinner portion sizes were smaller but could order as many as you liked, which i did often!

Negatives
- I called to setup spa services 3 weeks in advance, but when I got there not all the services were setup at the correct time. I also found out that I was supposed to get a confirmation email with the services which I never did.
- A couple of times, the steaks were a little overcooked. It was still good, but I thought it could of been a little better.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

As a guest who has stayed at Miraval over the past 10 years, I am pleased to say that the reasons for my return visits in the early years have returned. As Miraval went through some transition years that included renovations as well as many personnel changes, some guests were less satisfied with the experience. Well, the philosophy and high level of service are now in evidence.
Miraval is the place to come to renew yourself, to learn new ways of living your fabulous life and to enjoy all that the beautiful setting at the base of the Catalina Mtns offers. So, take the negative reviews of a few years ago with a grain of salt and enjoy a place where the staff are invested in making your day and stay better!

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Miraval is the one and only place that I can never get enough of and go back time and time again. The setting is peaceful and beautiful. When I arrive, I always feel as if I am coming "home". The staff are some of the best in the world. They make you feel special, like family, and when you leave Miraval, you leave with a sense that you were cared about. Whether you want to be alone (I have travelled there several times solo), with friends, or with a spouse, it is marvelous! No where in the world will you find the level of expertise in the field of mind, body & spirit. It never fails that Miraval is life-changing for me. Whether it is participating in a drumming circle, riding a horse in the Sonoran desert, conquering fear by crossing the desert on a tightrope, or just spending the afternoon by the pool with a good book, I am always renewed. The food is amazing, tasty, healthy, plentiful and it's always nice to enjoy a great glass of wine at the end of the day. The bed is probably my favorite in the world...you think you are sleeping in the clouds. I love listening to the desert crickets and coyote in the night. You have to try the Equine Experience with Wyatt Webb and participate in the guest lectures. You will explore everything from better sleep, better sex, how to lose weight, how to tap into your intuition, and their is even a class called Grief, Loss & Letting Go. I am always renewed but NEVER ready to leave. The spa services, I think are the best I have ever experienced. Try the Nurture, the Thai Massage (80 min) and a body treatment in one of the outdoor rooms. I have been there in every season, the last being in July. The summer rates are amazing and a great value. I love each and every one of the seasons there. It has been my secret escape and I call it "camp" for adults....but a seriously luxurious camp with any and everything you need at your fingertips. You can NOT go to Miraval just once.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

My sister flew from New Zealand to meet me at Miraval for our celebration of her birthday. We had six nights at the Resort and it was perfect. Our room was cool and the beds sooo comfortable. It might have been nice to have a bath tub but the water pressure in the shower was great. We enjoyed sitting out on our patio in the evenings screened by a gorgeous purple flowering bush, with a little view of the lovely Catalina Mountains.
The food was excellent and well presented, with portion size just right for us at dinner time. On the whole service at meal times was good and Krystal did a particularly great job . Snacks in the room ( soy nuts) were pretty inedible but there was plenty to eat at meal times and we enjoyed the fresh juices and smoothies on offer.
We enjoyed the Equine experience and our trail ride and found the staff at the Ranch to be very professional. The photography walk was inspiring and personal sessions with the photographer very good value. The hikes from the Resort were fun and even included a "not too close encounter" with a large rattlesnake and other interesting creatures.
I loved the salt water pool and Marco's mint lemonade served with a smile at the pool-side.
Overall we had a lovely time with a good mixture of exercise, meditation and yoga, spa treatments and just hanging out together.
I enjoyed it so much will return in the near future

• Stayed August 2010

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!