“Just about perfect !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Wood River, Illinois
“Just about perfect !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is my first trip to a destination spa , so I have nothing to compare Miraval with. That being said , here are my thoughts and observations.
Take advantage of the free shuttle ride from the airport. It takes an hour. Once you get there there is absolutely nowhere to go in your rental car and more importantly , no reason.
Check in was super easy , followed by a tour of the property and help finding your room. I was in the 200 block of rooms. I reserved the second least expensive category of rooms.
My room was just what I expected. It was sparkling clean. It was spacious and nicely appointed. My back deck faced a dirt road that employee driven golf carts went up and down all day long. The TV is older and should be replaced by a high def flat screen. There is no tub in this room. Now , if you don't get anything else from this review , please get this !! The bed is a bag of marshmallows with sheets made out of butter. Never in my life have I been in a bed that made me feel more comfortable , nurtured and yummy . Wow.
The grounds are exquisite . Full of running water features and native plant life. Every place you look it is immaculately cared for.
The staff is , to a person , caring , nurturing , professional , knowledgable and cool ! The classes and lectures that I attended were very well thought out and presented. All of the exercise equipment and gadgets were in perfect shape , showing no wear and tear.
The spa is lovely . Very serene and welcoming. All of my treatments were exceptional. My favorite one was Naga with Matthew.
The food is very, very good. Breakfast offers a small menu with a special that changes every day along with a well stocked buffet. Lunch is buffet with one special offered and dinner is all menu. The plated meals are beautifully presented and oh so delicious . And yes , there is a dessert menu too ! All the food offerings are accompanied by nutritional information. There are take out boxes at the buffet that you can load up and take on out. All that you want ! Be careful !
The pools are warm and clean and never crowded.
You can find whatever you are looking for here. Learn how to meditate , exercise a little or a lot. Challenge your guts on the challenge course ( I didn't do that) , learn how to eat right , how to de stress , how to grow old gracefully. Get some seldom offered spa treatments. Or just eat great healthy food and sit around the pool staring at the mountains. Whatever you are looking for.....
Don't think twice about coming to Miraval.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Hi there - Wow. Thank you for sharing your love for Miraval with this amazing review. We are so grateful that you chose Miraval for your first destination spa experience; and, we are glad that we were able to provide such a great experience for you. I take great pride in our team of staff and specialists - it's wonderful to hear that your experience with the team was so positive. We are also very proud of our culinary team for their gift of creating delicious food that is low-calorie and thoughtfully presented. I hope you were able to pick up a copy of our Mindful Eating cookbook with over 250 Miraval recipes in it. If not, it is available in our Miraval online store. We hope to welcome you back to Miraval on a return visit! Thank you again for writing about your stay.

543 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Wilmette
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Miraval has something for everyone. Delicious, healthy, beautifully presented food; motivating and deeply inspiring lectures; fitness classes for every level; a world-class spa; and a total commitment to mindfulness and finding balance in life. Every instructor, speaker, and guest service representative was friendly, professional and delighted to be of help. As a solo traveller I met some of the most amazing women, and was able to take care of my body as well as my psyche in a beautiful, tranquil and comfortable setting. Worth every penny!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Miraval is an oasis in the desert. You can choose to recharge your batteries through exercise, meditation, self-exploration, nutrition, or just "being quiet."
The options are vast, there are no dress codes and the all-inclusive, no tipping also contributes to the lack of stress.
The service is warm and attentive without being intrusive.
It's a magical place where one can define a personal plan for vacationing. I/we would return in a heartbeat when specials are available.

• Stayed August 2013
St Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was my first trip to Miraval. Overall experience was very good on the variety of classes offered ,instructors and variety of food options offered . However, there were some very disappointing moments for a spa of this caliber. They ran out of their dinner specials twice in our three days , scallops one night and mashed potatoes on another, very unacceptable when you are paying top dollar for an all inclusive high end resort. They offered no substitution for either .

The most disappointing experience was when I went for an Ayurvedic treatment in the spa and the therapist was a " no show". Tis was one of the main reasons I chose to try Miraval . The spa managements response was rushed , saying they would substitute with a scrub and a basic massage that would be complimentary. I complained to Guest Services and they basically offered no apology and no response and no follow up. Then when reviewing my bill, they tried to charge me for their "complimentary" substitution. I went to Miraval specifically for these types of treatments. I can get a salt scrub and a deep tissue massage anywhere. Their billing is screwed up. You really need to watch it for mistakes . I found several . I was charged for my friends golf lesson which I did not sign up for (she did) and she was charged for one of my classes as well. They do not seem the least bit empathetic for their errors.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I just returned from my first visit to Miraval and I am hooked for life! It was a combination of adult summer camp, business conference (focused on your favorite topic!) luxury spa/pampering, and spiritual/personal nourishment. I got everything I came for and then some. I participated in Wyatt's program, "It's Not About the Horse", Coach Leigh's "Walk and Talk", the Tightrope challenge, four spa services, Tina Powers reading, Katie's floating meditation and dream yoga. I also did Randy's Triple Threat workout and attended at least 10 classes. I loved everything that I did and I cannot wait to return! I stayed in the 600 series rooms and felt an overall sense of calm and comfort; one exception was the bed--seems that perhaps one too many people have slept on one side of the bed, so there was a very distinct slant to that side. Also, the refrigerator in the room, while great to have, did not keep things very cold. I adored the staff on all fronts; from the shuttle bus drivers to housekeeping and every instructor and therapist (massage and coach) there was not an unkind person to be found. The guests were wonderful too and traveling alone meant only that I was alone when I wanted to be. The food was excellent and plentiful and the 4Aces drink was the best drink I have ever had! I would love to see some live musicncome to Miraval in the evenings-perhaps Brendan James or similar. Also, I would love to see CrossFit as a fitness offering-though I tried triple threat and TRX, I missed my routine workout. Overall--amazing experience! I will return in November for another week and for Wyatt's four-day immersion program. I am a Miraval evangelist for life!

Room Tip: The 600 series is well worth the cost!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The last time I visited Miraval was in 2001 so I was looking forward to revisiting the place and checking out some of its new attractions. I was not disappointed. The complimentary shuttle service to/from Tuscon International Airport is terrific as the resort a good hour away, tucked away in the Arizona outback. The grounds are still as lovely as ever , a blend of lush desert vegetation and outdoor art. There are so many things to do so the place will appeal to a wide variety of tastes. Firstly, let me comment about the rooms. This time we stayed in the exquisite Palo Verde Casitas, which were not there before. They are a bit off the beaten track, very private and comfortable. The double room was very spacious and comfortable. The outdoor shower was a real novelty and highlight. A/C worked efficiently and was quiet. The beds were extra comfortable. One aspect of Miraval that sets it apart from other resorts like this is their approach to food and alcohol and salt!There are food options to satisfy anyone from vegan to carnivore. And as for salt, there are at least 10 different varieties to chose from! The bar opens daily at 4:00pm and one can order wine with dinner. How civilized is that?
One can actually gain weight here if not careful. The juice bar was a delight as well. It was nice to see more couples and male groups frequenting the place. All the men I spoke to said that being at Miraval was a transformational experience and that they would return. If only I could get my husband there!! The concept of "resort credits" is something new and takes some getting used to. Guests receive a nightly resort credit which can be applied to certain activities and services but not all, so this can be a bit tricky. If one does reserve for certain activities in advance of arrival, it can be disappointing to find that activity full but space can free up later as people change their minds or not. On this trip I focused on fitness and fun. I am not that adventurous so I avoided the "challenge activities". The BMC was host to the fitness classes that I enjoyed. Kudos to Sidney for some awesome exercise classes. The 2hr outdoor morning hike was exhilarating and the mountain biking was a real hoot. I did not partake in many spa treatments on this trip but the spa facilities just by themselves are something to behold. The lectures were also informative and varied. Staff were quite helpful for the most part but I found the reception backed up times and the wait to rebook activities a bit frustrating. The only thing I would recommend Miraval consider is to pave the road and pathway leading to the 600 block to avoid getting dust/stones etc in scandals. Guests were extremely friendly so it is a great place to visit even if you go by yourself. Everyone is so upbeat, it's infectious! Also the boutique is packed with amazing stuff! 12 years was too long a time period to be away from Miraval. I hope to return on a more regular basis. Three nights was a tad short.

Room Tip: Palo Verde Casitas have amazing outdoors shows and are more private
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hi There - Thank you for your thorough review of your recent visit! I'm glad to hear that you were pleased by the changes to the resort since your last visit 12 years ago. We continue to enhance our property and add new activities and services each year so I imagine it was quite different than you remember - but still maintaining the Miraval "essence" of mindfulness and life in balance. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our new Catalina suites. They are really beautiful and the outdoor shower is definitely an experience in itself! We look forward to seeing you back at Miraval again on your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just finished spending sometime at Miraval, we would both say that it has changed our life forever, and I mean for the good. It was like we were in another world that neither of us had ever experienced before in our lifetime. It was about fitness, spirituality, health, and just so much more. With the staff it was not work, it was a passion. They all just cared so much for us and wanted our experience to be something that we would never forget. We had such a wonderful time that we are planning on going back in six months and are taking our best friends with us. Miraval is about learning to live life the right way and enjoying the ride as you are learning.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Dick - Thank you so much for writing. I'm thrilled to hear that you and your wife found Miraval to be life-changing for you. I'm proud to lead a team of staff and specialists who are truly in the business of helping people make their lives more fulfilling. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit!
Michael

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!