“Perfect place to de-stress and recharge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa

You added Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5000 E. Via Estancia, Tucson, AZ 85739   |
Special Offer
5th Night Free at Miraval
Ranked #9 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Wilmette
“Perfect place to de-stress and recharge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Miraval has something for everyone. Delicious, healthy, beautifully presented food; motivating and deeply inspiring lectures; fitness classes for every level; a world-class spa; and a total commitment to mindfulness and finding balance in life. Every instructor, speaker, and guest service representative was friendly, professional and delighted to be of help. As a solo traveller I met some of the most amazing women, and was able to take care of my body as well as my psyche in a beautiful, tranquil and comfortable setting. Worth every penny!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Miraval is an oasis in the desert. You can choose to recharge your batteries through exercise, meditation, self-exploration, nutrition, or just "being quiet."
The options are vast, there are no dress codes and the all-inclusive, no tipping also contributes to the lack of stress.
The service is warm and attentive without being intrusive.
It's a magical place where one can define a personal plan for vacationing. I/we would return in a heartbeat when specials are available.

• Stayed August 2013
St Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was my first trip to Miraval. Overall experience was very good on the variety of classes offered ,instructors and variety of food options offered . However, there were some very disappointing moments for a spa of this caliber. They ran out of their dinner specials twice in our three days , scallops one night and mashed potatoes on another, very unacceptable when you are paying top dollar for an all inclusive high end resort. They offered no substitution for either .

The most disappointing experience was when I went for an Ayurvedic treatment in the spa and the therapist was a " no show". Tis was one of the main reasons I chose to try Miraval . The spa managements response was rushed , saying they would substitute with a scrub and a basic massage that would be complimentary. I complained to Guest Services and they basically offered no apology and no response and no follow up. Then when reviewing my bill, they tried to charge me for their "complimentary" substitution. I went to Miraval specifically for these types of treatments. I can get a salt scrub and a deep tissue massage anywhere. Their billing is screwed up. You really need to watch it for mistakes . I found several . I was charged for my friends golf lesson which I did not sign up for (she did) and she was charged for one of my classes as well. They do not seem the least bit empathetic for their errors.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I just returned from my first visit to Miraval and I am hooked for life! It was a combination of adult summer camp, business conference (focused on your favorite topic!) luxury spa/pampering, and spiritual/personal nourishment. I got everything I came for and then some. I participated in Wyatt's program, "It's Not About the Horse", Coach Leigh's "Walk and Talk", the Tightrope challenge, four spa services, Tina Powers reading, Katie's floating meditation and dream yoga. I also did Randy's Triple Threat workout and attended at least 10 classes. I loved everything that I did and I cannot wait to return! I stayed in the 600 series rooms and felt an overall sense of calm and comfort; one exception was the bed--seems that perhaps one too many people have slept on one side of the bed, so there was a very distinct slant to that side. Also, the refrigerator in the room, while great to have, did not keep things very cold. I adored the staff on all fronts; from the shuttle bus drivers to housekeeping and every instructor and therapist (massage and coach) there was not an unkind person to be found. The guests were wonderful too and traveling alone meant only that I was alone when I wanted to be. The food was excellent and plentiful and the 4Aces drink was the best drink I have ever had! I would love to see some live musicncome to Miraval in the evenings-perhaps Brendan James or similar. Also, I would love to see CrossFit as a fitness offering-though I tried triple threat and TRX, I missed my routine workout. Overall--amazing experience! I will return in November for another week and for Wyatt's four-day immersion program. I am a Miraval evangelist for life!

Room Tip: The 600 series is well worth the cost!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The last time I visited Miraval was in 2001 so I was looking forward to revisiting the place and checking out some of its new attractions. I was not disappointed. The complimentary shuttle service to/from Tuscon International Airport is terrific as the resort a good hour away, tucked away in the Arizona outback. The grounds are still as lovely as ever , a blend of lush desert vegetation and outdoor art. There are so many things to do so the place will appeal to a wide variety of tastes. Firstly, let me comment about the rooms. This time we stayed in the exquisite Palo Verde Casitas, which were not there before. They are a bit off the beaten track, very private and comfortable. The double room was very spacious and comfortable. The outdoor shower was a real novelty and highlight. A/C worked efficiently and was quiet. The beds were extra comfortable. One aspect of Miraval that sets it apart from other resorts like this is their approach to food and alcohol and salt!There are food options to satisfy anyone from vegan to carnivore. And as for salt, there are at least 10 different varieties to chose from! The bar opens daily at 4:00pm and one can order wine with dinner. How civilized is that?
One can actually gain weight here if not careful. The juice bar was a delight as well. It was nice to see more couples and male groups frequenting the place. All the men I spoke to said that being at Miraval was a transformational experience and that they would return. If only I could get my husband there!! The concept of "resort credits" is something new and takes some getting used to. Guests receive a nightly resort credit which can be applied to certain activities and services but not all, so this can be a bit tricky. If one does reserve for certain activities in advance of arrival, it can be disappointing to find that activity full but space can free up later as people change their minds or not. On this trip I focused on fitness and fun. I am not that adventurous so I avoided the "challenge activities". The BMC was host to the fitness classes that I enjoyed. Kudos to Sidney for some awesome exercise classes. The 2hr outdoor morning hike was exhilarating and the mountain biking was a real hoot. I did not partake in many spa treatments on this trip but the spa facilities just by themselves are something to behold. The lectures were also informative and varied. Staff were quite helpful for the most part but I found the reception backed up times and the wait to rebook activities a bit frustrating. The only thing I would recommend Miraval consider is to pave the road and pathway leading to the 600 block to avoid getting dust/stones etc in scandals. Guests were extremely friendly so it is a great place to visit even if you go by yourself. Everyone is so upbeat, it's infectious! Also the boutique is packed with amazing stuff! 12 years was too long a time period to be away from Miraval. I hope to return on a more regular basis. Three nights was a tad short.

Room Tip: Palo Verde Casitas have amazing outdoors shows and are more private
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hi There - Thank you for your thorough review of your recent visit! I'm glad to hear that you were pleased by the changes to the resort since your last visit 12 years ago. We continue to enhance our property and add new activities and services each year so I imagine it was quite different than you remember - but still maintaining the Miraval "essence" of mindfulness and life in balance. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our new Catalina suites. They are really beautiful and the outdoor shower is definitely an experience in itself! We look forward to seeing you back at Miraval again on your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just finished spending sometime at Miraval, we would both say that it has changed our life forever, and I mean for the good. It was like we were in another world that neither of us had ever experienced before in our lifetime. It was about fitness, spirituality, health, and just so much more. With the staff it was not work, it was a passion. They all just cared so much for us and wanted our experience to be something that we would never forget. We had such a wonderful time that we are planning on going back in six months and are taking our best friends with us. Miraval is about learning to live life the right way and enjoying the ride as you are learning.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Dick - Thank you so much for writing. I'm thrilled to hear that you and your wife found Miraval to be life-changing for you. I'm proud to lead a team of staff and specialists who are truly in the business of helping people make their lives more fulfilling. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The beds were comfortable but nothing mind blowing about the rooms. If you're going for the lap of luxury go someplace else. What you pay for and receive are exquisite grounds, good food, fantastic staff who know their tuff, and a connection with other guests. I felt it was sleep away camp for adults and I met people who were there that inspired me with their will to improve themselves physically and mentally. I went to get in better shape and this was a great first step and I left with a plan. But what I didn't bargain for, but received, was a plan to put out a better me into the universe. Miraval taught me you give what you get. And gave me some tools to give better of myself to the world.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Hi there - Thank you so much for writing. You're correct that Miraval's aesthetic is inspired by the natural surroundings of the Sonoran desert with muted tones - it's what we like to call "sustainable luxury." I'm glad to hear that you embraced the Miraval philosophy of "Life in Balance" and mindfulness and came away with tools to make positive change in your life. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a future visit!