“Wonderful time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 127 Hotels in Tucson
Ottawa, Canada
“Wonderful time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed at Miraval in Jan/Feb 2013. I had a completely wonderful experience. As a few months have passed since my stay, I find that what I remember most fondly is the wonderful staff: warm, intelligent, kind. I participated in many of the activities and enjoyed them all -- the staff I encountered for the outdoor adventures and at the horse stables, and for yoga, are all lovely. The administrative staff was responsive and without exception went the extra mile to accommodate my requests. I loved the food, I loved the setting, I loved the atmosphere. I've been to Canyon Ranch twice, but I prefer Miraval, and hope to make it a regular destination.

My room was rather ordinary, I hope they will do some renovations soon -- I echo an earlier poster about inadequate lighting for reading, also the walls are very thin!

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Hi There - Wow. Thank you for writing such kind words about your stay. I’m so glad that the service you experienced at Miraval is what you remember most fondly. I’m very proud of our entire team and I will pass along your kudos to them. Thank you for the feedback about your room. I’m happy to share that we are in the process of renovating a number of our rooms and suites. We hope you will enjoy these updated rooms on your next visit. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

A friend and I did a girl's getaway in February and it was wonderful all around. The rooms were comfy, the views of mountains and desert delightful and the food was excellent. The place was packed, so getting dinner seatings was difficult, but it all worked out in the end. I loved the spa - got a service of some sort every day. And, several options for yoga was nice. Wonderful speakers and helpful specialists. This was my first visit and I know there will be more!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hi There - Thanks for writing! I'm so glad you were able to have a wonderful and memorable girls' getaway with us! It sounds like you were able to take advantage of a wide variety of our activities and spa services during your stay. We are thrilled that you loved Miraval and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Pacific Palisades, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I were with a group at the Miraval. I had heard wonderful things about this property, but the experience did not meet our expectations.

The room was reasonably large and there was an excellent pillow top, but still firm, bed and fantastic pillows. The lighting, however, was completely inadequate for reading. Generally, we found the design to be mediocre, with some really silly features such as a large HVAC vent directly over the bed, which is not a comfy idea because it blows directly on you while you are sleeping.

I know that the hotel is health conscious, but we arrived late and there was no minibar and a very limited room service menu.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a beautiful setting and we really liked our guides for activities, but we did not connect with the New Age philosophizing about the activities.

We did not enjoy the food much. There is a pretty limited selection and we found the service to be slow.

There were only a couple of staff present whenever we went to the lobby, so there could be a wait to get assistance if anyone else were checking in or had questions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there - Thank you for review. We do appreciate the feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. I am sorry you did not find your room accommodations enjoyable but I am glad to share that we are in the midst of a renovation to a number of our rooms that will solve many of the issues you bring up. Should you decide to visit Miraval again in the future, we hope you will find your stay more comfortable.
Owensboro, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

With yourself, your spouse, or your friends at this wonderful haven. My husband and I had 3 days to spend together and found the perfect place for wellness and renewing ourselves and our relationship! It took us away to find our way among the seemingly limitless activities and spa services. We quickly made a decision to step out of our comfort zone and try new things and so glad we did! For me, mountain biking and returning cactus-free was a triumph! For my husband, Ariel yoga confirmed his need to stretch and let go!
We are planning our return trip for at minimum once a year to our place of renewal together!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hi there - Wow. It's great to hear that you and your husband found the renewal and reconnection that you were looking for. Glad you tried mountain biking and that you were able to experience our new aerial yoga. We look forward to having you both come back to Miraval on a future visit!
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I went to Miraval in May with my daughter and we had a fabulous time. We were in an executive room which was lovely and close to everything. There were so many highlights of our trip but here goes. An artist was in residence and we spent several hours painting. I still have the pictures in my livingroom. The painting was relaxing and surprisingly fun for someone with a lack of creative talent. Ariel yoga and floating meditation were our favourite activities. I can finally boast that I have done a yoga inversion. The food was amazing and very low calorie. I think it has been the best food experience i have had travelling. 3 nights was not enough. Next time we are going longer. The only negatives were the pools had lots of dead bugs floating around and when swimming lengths you worried about swallowing them, and signing up for activities was very early and not everyone got to try the activities. This place is a great value for your money and I can hardly wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Hi there - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay. I'm thrilled to hear that you and your daughter were able to try aerial yoga and floating meditation. These new offerings have been such a huge hit with our guests! I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed the food during your stay. We are very proud to have a culinary team who can make such delicious low calorie dishes. I do appreciate your feedback about the pools. We will do our best to keep the desert wildlife out of our beautiful pools. We look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to Miraval in the near future!
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My 3rd visit to this spectacular place & it never ceases to amaze! There is no place like this place, and I feel so tranquil and cared for, while I am here. I tried Aqua Zen this time. Truly amazing! It's a form of massage, but really, floating around gently in warm water, it's therapy and so nurturing. It literally brought me to tears. Believe me, it was very powerful! I stayed in the 600's this time, which is a bit more remote than I would have liked. It was exciting, however, as I had encounters with deer, and a herd of javelinas(who were more afraid of me, than I, them). Water activities are now being offered almost every day, which I thought was terrific! Because this place is so spectacular, I hate to mention that the same lack of adequate wait staff at breakfast and lunch that I noticed last year, still seems to be a problem this year. The hostess must leave her Welcome podium each time a guest arrives in order to seat that guest. At busy times, many guests are left standing in line, waiting each time for her to return and seat the next guest. The dining room manager needs to place 2 hostesses at the front during peak times, to avoid such long waits for other guests. Other than this one issue, this place is hands down, the most fabulous, wonderful, peaceful place I have ever visited. Can't wait till my next visit!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hi there - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you had such an incredible experience during Aqua Zen. I do apologize that your experience in the dining room did not live up to your expectations. We strive for excellence and your feedback is certainly appreciated. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a return visit!
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was treated to an overnight stay with ( and by) my girlfriend for my birthday. Miraval was the perfect gift, not just because it was so relaxing, served delicious healthy food, and had an assortment of spas; the workshops Miraval offered provided me with a new outlook on approaching obstacles in life.
Upon arriving to the health resort, we had the chance to sign up for a variety of workshops. Everything from yoga, to trail running, BMX mountain biking, photography, and equine training is offered at Miraval. Each of these challenges is fun, while learning more about yourself and your outlook on overcoming obstacles in life.
Some of the things I enjoyed most were:
1) Doing the 35 ft. Pole climb with my girlfriend. A great lesson in taking big leaps in life together!
2) Relaxing in the spa all day wearing a comfortable robe, drinking yummy organic tea, and enjoying the beautiful view of the mountains.
3) The food. Organic, and you can order as much, or as little as you wish. Loved tasting multiple entres!
4) Late night walks around the property, listening to the streams and viewing the lantern lit gardens.
5) The amazingly comfortable beds. You will want to sleep in.. but no time for that when morning challenges await!

Room Tip: Ask for the new casitas! They are more private and offer a more unobstructed view of Arizona's n...