“Did not disappoint” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Calgary
“Did not disappoint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I went to Miraval in May with my daughter and we had a fabulous time. We were in an executive room which was lovely and close to everything. There were so many highlights of our trip but here goes. An artist was in residence and we spent several hours painting. I still have the pictures in my livingroom. The painting was relaxing and surprisingly fun for someone with a lack of creative talent. Ariel yoga and floating meditation were our favourite activities. I can finally boast that I have done a yoga inversion. The food was amazing and very low calorie. I think it has been the best food experience i have had travelling. 3 nights was not enough. Next time we are going longer. The only negatives were the pools had lots of dead bugs floating around and when swimming lengths you worried about swallowing them, and signing up for activities was very early and not everyone got to try the activities. This place is a great value for your money and I can hardly wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Hi there - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay. I'm thrilled to hear that you and your daughter were able to try aerial yoga and floating meditation. These new offerings have been such a huge hit with our guests! I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed the food during your stay. We are very proud to have a culinary team who can make such delicious low calorie dishes. I do appreciate your feedback about the pools. We will do our best to keep the desert wildlife out of our beautiful pools. We look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to Miraval in the near future!

490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My 3rd visit to this spectacular place & it never ceases to amaze! There is no place like this place, and I feel so tranquil and cared for, while I am here. I tried Aqua Zen this time. Truly amazing! It's a form of massage, but really, floating around gently in warm water, it's therapy and so nurturing. It literally brought me to tears. Believe me, it was very powerful! I stayed in the 600's this time, which is a bit more remote than I would have liked. It was exciting, however, as I had encounters with deer, and a herd of javelinas(who were more afraid of me, than I, them). Water activities are now being offered almost every day, which I thought was terrific! Because this place is so spectacular, I hate to mention that the same lack of adequate wait staff at breakfast and lunch that I noticed last year, still seems to be a problem this year. The hostess must leave her Welcome podium each time a guest arrives in order to seat that guest. At busy times, many guests are left standing in line, waiting each time for her to return and seat the next guest. The dining room manager needs to place 2 hostesses at the front during peak times, to avoid such long waits for other guests. Other than this one issue, this place is hands down, the most fabulous, wonderful, peaceful place I have ever visited. Can't wait till my next visit!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hi there - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you had such an incredible experience during Aqua Zen. I do apologize that your experience in the dining room did not live up to your expectations. We strive for excellence and your feedback is certainly appreciated. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a return visit!
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was treated to an overnight stay with ( and by) my girlfriend for my birthday. Miraval was the perfect gift, not just because it was so relaxing, served delicious healthy food, and had an assortment of spas; the workshops Miraval offered provided me with a new outlook on approaching obstacles in life.
Upon arriving to the health resort, we had the chance to sign up for a variety of workshops. Everything from yoga, to trail running, BMX mountain biking, photography, and equine training is offered at Miraval. Each of these challenges is fun, while learning more about yourself and your outlook on overcoming obstacles in life.
Some of the things I enjoyed most were:
1) Doing the 35 ft. Pole climb with my girlfriend. A great lesson in taking big leaps in life together!
2) Relaxing in the spa all day wearing a comfortable robe, drinking yummy organic tea, and enjoying the beautiful view of the mountains.
3) The food. Organic, and you can order as much, or as little as you wish. Loved tasting multiple entres!
4) Late night walks around the property, listening to the streams and viewing the lantern lit gardens.
5) The amazingly comfortable beds. You will want to sleep in.. but no time for that when morning challenges await!

Room Tip: Ask for the new casitas! They are more private and offer a more unobstructed view of Arizona's n...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Charles - Thank you for your review! It's wonderful to hear that you and your girlfriend had such a great stay and were able to experience so much in such a short time and see the value in our challenge activities and spa. It sounds like you both were able to slow down and enjoy quality time together. We hope to welcome you back to Miraval for a future stay!
Paradise Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The visit begins before you even get to Miraval as you need to reserve some of your classes and spa treatments prior to arrival. There was one glitch with a reservationist who was new but I was able to call back and speak with someone else who straightened everything out for me.
Check in was a breeze although when you drive in, you are not given the "welcome drinks" that I observed with some of the groups brought in while I was there. We were given a very nice tour of the property with our check in as well.
The rooms are a little bit small and can be on the darker side. Every amenity that you would want - apparently, you may ask for a coffee machine although we were not told this but I read it on one of the reviews on this site.
Meals are very good, there is quite a variety of foods offered. My biggest complaint is that I have a food allergy and told my server and was assured that this would be shared with others to assist me throughout the week and instead, every day it was as if no one knew that I had an allergy. There were many times that I had to find someone to ask what was in a particular dish. One evening I was actually told that the dish had walnuts in it so I did not order it. My friend ordered it and when it came, there were almonds NOT walnuts. Come on dining room staff!! This is serious stuff. The dining experience needs some help in regards to turning over tables as well. The staff seating people was constantly taking silverware off of other tables while seating people since it seemed that there was never enough help with bussing tables. At times, there were rather large lines to be seated, especially after a large class was finished.
The spa is wonderful. I loved my massages although not the best that I have ever had, they were quite nice.
Classes were wonderful and there was a large variety from fitness/yoga to meditation, to stress, soul searching and more new age/metaphysical, to cooking, hiking and of course zip line, team building and horse involved classes. I highly recommend the course "It's not about the horse" with Wyatt Webb. Well worth the extra money. He is one of the most real people that I have ever met and I am still thinking about lessons learned during that time. Anne Parker is a warm and wonderful person with many wise lessons and incredibly empathetic. I loved Tej Paul and actually ended up seeing her in a private session that was SO worth it!! What an interesting and charismatic woman with such a wonderful approach to life. Maggie was wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed my session with her as well. Dr. Nikolai gave some wonderful and highly needed advice on stress which I am implementing into my life, I think this is my favorite thing about Miraval - you bring so much of it home with you.
Take advantage of the facility - there is a wonderful gym, the pools are wonderful, just waling around the campus area is a treat, the juice/coffee bar is wonderful as well.
I met some incredible people during my stay here - you feel safe to share with each other and there is a certain safeness that we are all there for the same reasons.
I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: In the summer, you may want to get a room that faces North or South instead of East or West. Some of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi there - Thank you for writing such a thorough review of your recent stay. I'm glad that you were able to meet with so many of our wellness specialists! They really are what makes Miraval life-changing for so many people. I'm sorry to hear about the lack of communication regarding your food allergies. That is something we take very seriously and do our best to make sure the dining staff is aware of. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the classes and activities you attended and found your time with Wyatt Webb so valuable. He's certainly one-of-a-kind. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a future visit and hope you are able to incorporate all that you learned here into your life at home until that time!
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Miraval was an absolute dream come true and exceeded my expectations in almost every way possible. I had been wanting to visit this resort since hearing about it on the Oprah Winfrey Show several years ago and it lived up to every expectation. Some of the highlights from the trip:
1) Ziplining--somewhat challenging for me but SO worth it--do it!
2) Horseback riding with Reanne on a private trail ride (she was the BEST and most patient instructor)
3) Laying underneath the stars on the Miraval Spa patio every night (and the hot stone massage by Clinton was the BEST one I've EVER had, though you don't need to have an appointment in order to use the spa).
4) THE FOOD - Cannot say enough great things about the food--definitely the BEST food I've had at ANY hotel EVER. Healthy and delicious. As a bonus, you can order as many items on the menu as you'd like as many times as you'd like as well.
5) The classes - A plethora of different options for everyone. I really enjoyed the sessions with Anne Parker on mindful relationships and grief, loss and letting go.

I could go on and on and on about how amazing this place is, but all I can say is don't think about this for another minute--GO. You will not regret a single penny spent at this resort which is truly heaven on Earth.

Room Tip: Honestly, you cannot go wrong no matter what room you choose. I was in a standard room and it was b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
HI there - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay. So glad that you challenged yourself with the Desert Sky Zipline and had such a great time during your private trail ride. I also appreciate your rave reviews of our food. We are very proud of our latest cookbook Mindful Eating and another upcoming cookbook called Sweet and Savory (coming Jan. 2014) will highlight new creations from Executive Chef Justin Macy and his wife Kim Macy (our Pastry Chef!). I hope these help you bring the Miraval culinary experience into your own life at home. Thank you again for writing and we hope to see you back at Miraval again soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My wife planned a trip for for 3 days for our 12th wedding anniversary. The service was outstanding. The food was excellent. Travel is provided to and from the airport. This is an all-inclusive resort except for alcohol, food at the pool, and cost for certain activities and classes. The bed was VERY confortable. The view was amazing!! I was so relaxed during the stay that I quit taking my blood pressure medicine. The one complaint that I do have is with the spa. The were very few spa appointments to any of the treatments that we wanted. My wife called before the trip but never received a return called. If you go, (which I recommend), you should definitely schedule all of you planned spa treatments before you make the trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there - Thank you for writing! I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed your anniversary trip to Miraval! I'm glad you loved the food and that our mindful guest service philosophy came through in your experience. I do apologize if you did not receive a return call prior to arrival - we make every effort to speak with each and every guest in advance to help plan his/her stay. We hope to see you both back at Miraval for a future visit and we will definitely help you plan ahead next time.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

My mother sister and I spent 3 days at Miraval and had a great time! It wasn't until our last day when I was in bed all day sick with food poisoning. When I went outside to get some fresh air I overheard 4 women talking to the chef and manager about people they know who also were sick. By 6oclock I was feeling more like myself and was enjoying the beauty of Miraval when my sister got very sick at dinner. If we were the only two I would say that it was a virus going around my family but that was not the case. Many people were sick from that night and it was a waste of 1500 dollars for that day when I was in bed sick. Other than the food poisoning it was magical. Absolutely amazing. I would definitely come back... I might reconsider what I order though.

• Stayed May 2013
Hi Michele- I was made aware that you and several other Miraval guests became ill while you were on property. At that time, we immediately started tracking what everyone had eaten and any symptoms our guests were experiencing. We found no correlation to our food. We continued to monitor incidences of illness very closely as we take these issues extremely seriously. The day after your departure from Miraval, several of our employees came down with similar symptoms and were diagnosed by their local physicians with a virus that has been prevalent in many cities across the nation. I am so sorry that you were ill during your stay - and I hope you can take solace in knowing that there were no cases of food poisoning at Miraval. I'm glad to hear that other than being ill, your Miraval stay was amazing.
Michael

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!