“A wonderful camp for grown ups” 5 of 5 stars

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
5000 E. Via Estancia, Tucson, AZ 85739   |
Ranked #14 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Paradise Valley, Arizona
“A wonderful camp for grown ups”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The visit begins before you even get to Miraval as you need to reserve some of your classes and spa treatments prior to arrival. There was one glitch with a reservationist who was new but I was able to call back and speak with someone else who straightened everything out for me.
Check in was a breeze although when you drive in, you are not given the "welcome drinks" that I observed with some of the groups brought in while I was there. We were given a very nice tour of the property with our check in as well.
The rooms are a little bit small and can be on the darker side. Every amenity that you would want - apparently, you may ask for a coffee machine although we were not told this but I read it on one of the reviews on this site.
Meals are very good, there is quite a variety of foods offered. My biggest complaint is that I have a food allergy and told my server and was assured that this would be shared with others to assist me throughout the week and instead, every day it was as if no one knew that I had an allergy. There were many times that I had to find someone to ask what was in a particular dish. One evening I was actually told that the dish had walnuts in it so I did not order it. My friend ordered it and when it came, there were almonds NOT walnuts. Come on dining room staff!! This is serious stuff. The dining experience needs some help in regards to turning over tables as well. The staff seating people was constantly taking silverware off of other tables while seating people since it seemed that there was never enough help with bussing tables. At times, there were rather large lines to be seated, especially after a large class was finished.
The spa is wonderful. I loved my massages although not the best that I have ever had, they were quite nice.
Classes were wonderful and there was a large variety from fitness/yoga to meditation, to stress, soul searching and more new age/metaphysical, to cooking, hiking and of course zip line, team building and horse involved classes. I highly recommend the course "It's not about the horse" with Wyatt Webb. Well worth the extra money. He is one of the most real people that I have ever met and I am still thinking about lessons learned during that time. Anne Parker is a warm and wonderful person with many wise lessons and incredibly empathetic. I loved Tej Paul and actually ended up seeing her in a private session that was SO worth it!! What an interesting and charismatic woman with such a wonderful approach to life. Maggie was wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed my session with her as well. Dr. Nikolai gave some wonderful and highly needed advice on stress which I am implementing into my life, I think this is my favorite thing about Miraval - you bring so much of it home with you.
Take advantage of the facility - there is a wonderful gym, the pools are wonderful, just waling around the campus area is a treat, the juice/coffee bar is wonderful as well.
I met some incredible people during my stay here - you feel safe to share with each other and there is a certain safeness that we are all there for the same reasons.
I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: In the summer, you may want to get a room that faces North or South instead of East or West. Some of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Hi there - Thank you for writing such a thorough review of your recent stay. I'm glad that you were able to meet with so many of our wellness specialists! They really are what makes Miraval life-changing for so many people. I'm sorry to hear about the lack of communication regarding your food allergies. That is something we take very seriously and do our best to make sure the dining staff is aware of. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the classes and activities you attended and found your time with Wyatt Webb so valuable. He's certainly one-of-a-kind. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a future visit and hope you are able to incorporate all that you learned here into your life at home until that time!

525 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Miraval was an absolute dream come true and exceeded my expectations in almost every way possible. I had been wanting to visit this resort since hearing about it on the Oprah Winfrey Show several years ago and it lived up to every expectation. Some of the highlights from the trip:
1) Ziplining--somewhat challenging for me but SO worth it--do it!
2) Horseback riding with Reanne on a private trail ride (she was the BEST and most patient instructor)
3) Laying underneath the stars on the Miraval Spa patio every night (and the hot stone massage by Clinton was the BEST one I've EVER had, though you don't need to have an appointment in order to use the spa).
4) THE FOOD - Cannot say enough great things about the food--definitely the BEST food I've had at ANY hotel EVER. Healthy and delicious. As a bonus, you can order as many items on the menu as you'd like as many times as you'd like as well.
5) The classes - A plethora of different options for everyone. I really enjoyed the sessions with Anne Parker on mindful relationships and grief, loss and letting go.

I could go on and on and on about how amazing this place is, but all I can say is don't think about this for another minute--GO. You will not regret a single penny spent at this resort which is truly heaven on Earth.

Room Tip: Honestly, you cannot go wrong no matter what room you choose. I was in a standard room and it was b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
HI there - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay. So glad that you challenged yourself with the Desert Sky Zipline and had such a great time during your private trail ride. I also appreciate your rave reviews of our food. We are very proud of our latest cookbook Mindful Eating and another upcoming cookbook called Sweet and Savory (coming Jan. 2014) will highlight new creations from Executive Chef Justin Macy and his wife Kim Macy (our Pastry Chef!). I hope these help you bring the Miraval culinary experience into your own life at home. Thank you again for writing and we hope to see you back at Miraval again soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My wife planned a trip for for 3 days for our 12th wedding anniversary. The service was outstanding. The food was excellent. Travel is provided to and from the airport. This is an all-inclusive resort except for alcohol, food at the pool, and cost for certain activities and classes. The bed was VERY confortable. The view was amazing!! I was so relaxed during the stay that I quit taking my blood pressure medicine. The one complaint that I do have is with the spa. The were very few spa appointments to any of the treatments that we wanted. My wife called before the trip but never received a return called. If you go, (which I recommend), you should definitely schedule all of you planned spa treatments before you make the trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there - Thank you for writing! I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed your anniversary trip to Miraval! I'm glad you loved the food and that our mindful guest service philosophy came through in your experience. I do apologize if you did not receive a return call prior to arrival - we make every effort to speak with each and every guest in advance to help plan his/her stay. We hope to see you both back at Miraval for a future visit and we will definitely help you plan ahead next time.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

My mother sister and I spent 3 days at Miraval and had a great time! It wasn't until our last day when I was in bed all day sick with food poisoning. When I went outside to get some fresh air I overheard 4 women talking to the chef and manager about people they know who also were sick. By 6oclock I was feeling more like myself and was enjoying the beauty of Miraval when my sister got very sick at dinner. If we were the only two I would say that it was a virus going around my family but that was not the case. Many people were sick from that night and it was a waste of 1500 dollars for that day when I was in bed sick. Other than the food poisoning it was magical. Absolutely amazing. I would definitely come back... I might reconsider what I order though.

• Stayed May 2013
Hi Michele- I was made aware that you and several other Miraval guests became ill while you were on property. At that time, we immediately started tracking what everyone had eaten and any symptoms our guests were experiencing. We found no correlation to our food. We continued to monitor incidences of illness very closely as we take these issues extremely seriously. The day after your departure from Miraval, several of our employees came down with similar symptoms and were diagnosed by their local physicians with a virus that has been prevalent in many cities across the nation. I am so sorry that you were ill during your stay - and I hope you can take solace in knowing that there were no cases of food poisoning at Miraval. I'm glad to hear that other than being ill, your Miraval stay was amazing.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed 4 days and loved this spa resort. If you're open minded and like trying new things, this is a resort for you. Miraval has a lot to offer, can be relaxing or as challenging as you want it to be. The highlight of this trip was participating on the tight ropes and ladder challenges with my husband which pushed me out of my comfort zone and completely challenged me physically. The spa services were phenomenal especially the Nada (thai massage using silk supports), athletic massage and deep tissue. The massage therapists were all very professional and knowledgable and everyday I looked forward to relaxing in the beautiful spa before my treatments. Food was delicious and healthy but would of liked to see a bit more variety for the salad bar on a daily basis..Eg. Kale, daikon. or something different. Many interests, self improvement, soul searching classes offered which were a lot of fun. One way Miraval could improve their system is offer more sign up classes beforehand so guests do not feel compelled to compete for space. Luckily we were able to sign up for almost everything because my husband got up early and additional sessions were added at the last minute due to requests from guests. Overall, we enjoyed ourselves immensely and will return again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi There - It sounds like you and your husband had an equally adventurous and relaxing visit to Miraval! I hope it was everything you wanted it to be. I'm glad you enjoyed your Naga thai treatment and loved the food. I appreciate your feedback regarding our signup process for classes as we continue to evaluate our processes based on guest feedback. Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval in the future!
Sea Girt, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have just returned from my 9th visit to Miraval and it won’t be my last. This time I had the pleasure of sharing the experience with several family members and friends as well as several fellow nurses who attended a workshop and retreat I offered at Miraval this year. I wanted to share with others what I have experienced there over the years.

My guests – all first time visitors to Miraval – fell in love with the place (what’s not to love?) and vow to return. Most, if not all of them, had life-changing experiences while there even though each did completely different things during their stay. Some partook of the challenge activities while others went horse-back riding, took dessert hikes, participated in beading and pottery classes, learned about Native American culture, took yoga and meditation classes, and sat by the pool (every day was sunny and warm). All of us enjoyed outdoor dining, tranquil surroundings, luxury accommodations, and a great sense of peace.

Miraval just keeps getting better and better if that is even possible. The food, the service, the activities, the classes, the people, the setting…and the new spa is absolutely gorgeous. I tried Naga for the first time, a type of Thai massage. I experienced a profound sense of relaxation afterwards. This time I stayed in one of the very modern, spacious, and elegant Catalina Rooms with breathtaking views of the mountains and dessert and a luxurious bathroom with both indoor and outdoor private shower and huge soaking tub!

I was thrilled to see all of the new offerings: classes, workshops, and spa treatments. After 9 visits I still haven’t done everything. Each time I return I look forward to both old favorites such as cardio drumming (the most fun I’ve had exercising in my life) and I Chi Flo (a type of Tai Chi or Chi Gong in a warm, shaded pool) as well as interesting new things to try. This time, the artist in residence was offering daily outdoor painting sessions and jewelry designer Mary Beth offered a wonderful prayer bead workshop. And I am blown away by the fabulous “special events” Miraval have coming up with renowned speakers/experts. There are so many reasons to keep coming back to Miraval. And every time I do I have a sense of coming home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Donna - First, thank you so much for your continued loyalty and passion for Miraval! Secondly, thank you for introducing your workshop participants to Miraval for the first time by choosing to host your retreat here. It's nice to hear that you appreciate all the new offerings in our spa menu and on our schedule of activities while also recognizing the signature offerings that have been a part of the Miraval experience for many years. I'm thrilled that you were able to stay in one of our Catalina Rooms. The unobstructed floor-to-ceiling views of the Catalina Mountains are truly breathtaking. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on your next visit!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at Miraval last week for 4 days with three girlfriends. Overall, amazing experience! Food....incredible. Service....exceptional. weather....perfect. Accomodations....gorgeous. Spa services....mostly good. So here's my only complaint or perhaps just my experience. Among serveral services, had the 100 min Ayurvedic treatment. The therapist was lovely however i was disappointed in the actual treatment. Maybe i wasn't told enough about it. But when they got to the point of pouring the oil over my head and wrapping up like a mummy, I was left that way for what felt like an eternity. And the therapist was still in the room but it was kind of creepy because he was perfectly quiet. I would've liked more of an explanation of what was to be expected. Or rub my feet. Or do something. If you are claustrophic, this isn't for you. I did ask for my feet to not be covered as I would've had a minor panic attack. Overall wasn't thrilled with this nor would I do it again.

Tips for first timers....carefully look at the monthly calendar of what you can choose from and plan services based on this. So much to do, but very few spots to sign up for. Folks who have been there before and know the drill get up EARLY and sign up so you are left on a waiting list. Also, open yourself up to classes like cardio drums....they are awesome and invigorating!

I will definitely go back again....just wanted to share some tips. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Can't imagine any room being a bad room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Hi Anne Marie - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay. Glad to hear that you loved Miraval. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't love the Ultimate Ayurvedic Treatment. It is definitely unique and although many people love it, it's not for everyone. We hope each guest comes away from every spa service feeling pampered and relaxed and we will work with you for your next visit to make sure your spa treatments are exactly what you're looking for. We hope to see you and your girlfriends back at Miraval soon!
Michael

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!