“Most amazing pampering and soul searching adventure” 5 of 5 stars

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
5000 E. Via Estancia, Tucson, AZ 85739   |
Ranked #15 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Most amazing pampering and soul searching adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is a top-notch spa. The staff is professional and attentive. The food is delicious and there is always something to eat or drink available to you. I enjoyed the classes with Wyatt, did a solo trail ride, morning hikes, photography class, chefs table, yoga, spa treatments, rock climbing and many more wonderful experiences. The rooms are well-appointed and the beds are like sleeping on a cloud. There are fire pits located around the grounds and sitting by the fire under the brilliant show of stars is a beautiful way to spend time before retiring for the night. My only frustration was that on some occasions the classes would be filled to capacity on the first come- first serve sign up sheets. And I know there were others there that were upset that their names had been erased and someone else had signed up in their place. So the honor system even in such a classy spa as this is not the best way to run things. The way to avoid missing out on a class can be to sign up for a private lesson and that gets you out of the sign up situation. I would love to return here. I spoke to others that have been back repeatedly as a single attendee, as a couple or with friends and/or family members. Love, love, loved it!

Room Tip: I doubt if there is such thing as a 'bad' room here!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Hi there - Thank you so much for your kind words! It sounds like you took advantage of a wide variety of experiences that we offer! I'm glad to hear you had such an incredible time here. Thank you for your feedback about the signup process for classes - we are always trying to optimize our processes to make sure each guest has an amazing time at Miraval. We hope to welcome you back to Miraval again soon!

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Lectures were all exceptional, as we're all the fitness instructors. spa therapies were all excellent. Missed not having a coffee maker in the room. Food is very Southwestern, not to my liking. I went with my two adult daughters and a sister in law and a niece . Everyone did what interested them and we met for meals. It was a wonderful family reunion!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hi there - Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. I'm glad to hear that Miraval was the location of choice for your family reunion and that you all had a wonderful time. We do have coffee makers available upon request and on your next visit, we would love to have one in your room for you upon arrival. Thank you again for writing!
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Overall, an amazing trip! The food was very good as was the service! The spa was BEAUTIFUL as well as both relaxation rooms! The outdoor challenge activities, horseback riding and photography classes were lots of fun and the lectures were enlightening. The fitness classes were average(spin for example), fun (ex-cardio drumming, dancing through the years and boxing/plie) but NOT for die heart fitness enthusiasts such as myself and my friends. The yoga was very good, aerial was fun and the yoga hike was one of the highlights of our trip. The pool was lovely and the service by the pool was very good as well. The room was small ( and our housekeeper was poor never replacing things and leaving dirty mugs)for such a pricey resort although not a problem since we were never in our room except to sleep, which by the way had the MOST COMFY bed and linens! The downside...if you are not a"preferred guest" which means you already went there FOUR TIMES,you cannot sign up for classes ahead therefore, we were shut out of MANY classes and were told besides "they" get first crack at it, the sign up sheets get posted for the rest of us between 4 and 6am! REALLY? A complaint by MANY guests we spoke to who DID wake up JUST in HOPES to sign up for a class. Imagine spending all that money and NOT get into classes the whole week? In addition, the fitness classes are only given Mo, Wed and Fri and the more mind/body classes are the rest of the days.STRESSFUL and DISAPPOINTING! Lastly, don't bother calling guest services, they don't pick up and/or don't call you back when you leave a message. If you are deciding between this resort and Canyon Ranch..Canyon Ranch has MANY MANY more fitness classes which are given EVERY day and much more challenging if you choose(they also offer different levels), if you are more into a mind/body spiritual experience including outdoor ropes course and horseback riding then this is the place for you! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms in the 300's are centrally located...behind the pool, near the spa and restaurant just fur...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hi there - Thank you for writing such a thorough review of your stay! I'm glad you enjoyed our new Life in Balance Spa! I'm thrilled to hear that you were able to experience our new Aerial yoga and that our unique Yoga/Hike was a highlight of your trip. I'm sorry to hear that you had issues with housekeeping and getting in touch with Guest Services. We strive for excellence in every area so I do apologize if you experienced anything less than that. Regarding fitness classes, we offer numerous fitness 7 days a week at various levels; however, Miraval is not solely a fitness oriented resort and we do place just as much emphasis on other areas such as yoga, meditation, hiking, mountain biking, wellness, nutrition, etc. We hope to see you and your friends back at Miraval on a future visit!
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I recently returned from a five night experience at Miraval and feel refreshed, rejuvenated, self-aware and at peace. The staff members are extremely kind, thoughtful and accommodating and treat their guests as if they were family. I sat in the guest services area one morning and watched as the bellman and managers welcomed returning guests by name with such enthusiasm and hugs. This is not like your typical hotel or resort experience. This is an experience that will open your mind and your heart, as well as promote rest, relaxation, connection and awareness.

I encourage anyone who is considering a visit to Miraval to go for it and book it. Take as many classes as you can (be sure to book one-on-one sessions in advance) and seek out conversations with the teachers and healers who are all so open and available. "It's Not About the Horse" is incredibly powerful and will teach you more about yourself than ever anticipated. Pam Lancaster will also move you with her support, encouragement and innate gifts.

I really thought that this trip would be about massages, time in the sun, and quiet, inner reflection for me. It is definitely all of those things - but it's also much more comprehensive.
They have really tapped into something very special.

Also, the food is DELICIOUS. Almost like art in the color and presentation. I miss the bountiful buffets!

Michael Tompkins and his team have certainly set the standard in creating lasting memories and experiences. I will definitely return & strongly encourage friends and family to go as well.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have outdoor showers - a great experience for this New Yorker!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Holly - Wow. Thank you for writing such an incredible review of your stay. We hope that each and every guest leaves Miraval feeling just as refreshed and rejuvenated as you did. I'm glad to hear that you spent quality time with our team of specialists and enjoyed Wyatt Webb's program "It's Not About the Horse" and your session with Pam Lancaster. Both of these individuals embody the Miraval philosophy of mindfulness and life in balance. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval in the near future.
La Jolla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We celebrated our 26th anniversary here , as well as our birthdays. This resort is beautiful and romantic. The villas are very tastefully done and have terrific views of the scenic desert landscape.
From the early morning hikes to the fun classes such as cardio drumming, Zumba, pilates, etc., this resort has many options for everyone to keep fit. After mornings of exercise, the afternoons can be filled with various therapeutic treatments in their spa. We tried the deep tissue, hot stone, as well as the Thai massage. All were fantastic and very relaxing.
The food is always fresh and delicious and the calories are listed next to each offering.
It is also nice to relax at the end of the day with a nice glass of wine.
The staff are all very knowledgeable and professional. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hi There - Thank you so much for your review! I'm thrilled that you were able to experience so many of our classes and treatments. I'm glad you enjoyed Thai massage - it's one of my personal favorites - and hot stone massage. We are so glad that you decided to celebrate your birthdays and wedding anniversary at Miraval! We hope to see you again on a future visit.
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Imagine spending $1000. a day and having no one in the fitness center to give instructions on the machines. What about an accident and no one there to call for help? How about the General Manager (Micheal Thompson) who wouldn't return your call? Then the two of you ordering rack of lamb for dinner and the gentelman getting two minute chops and you receiving five. What kind of kitchen is that? The one good thing (and the reason I said poor instead of terrible) was the spa itself. Very capable people with lots of veriaties.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wayzata, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have traveled extensive throughout the world, and very generally satisfied. I have never found the need to write a review until this one.

Here is my review. But don't forget to listen to Miraval CEO Michael Tompkins when I asked him about some of these issues. Copy and paste this link to listen: chirb.it/ehqctd

We traveled to Miraval for a fun few days with girlfriends to celebrate a 40th birthday. Some of our guests were on their 4th visit. This was my second and for sure my last!

There were numerous problems with Miraval. They have started a "Circle Club." To be a part of this elite club you must have visited the resort 4 times. Once a part of the circle club you can sign up for a single activity each day before any sheets are posted. And if you are a Circle Club member and are traveling with guests you may also sign up two guests with you. Now take an activity that has an average of 9-12 spots and you only need 4 circle club members in the entire resort to fill that sheet. Wait in line at 5:45 am ... but you might very well find that your activity is already full. It was very remindful of a spring break all-inclusive in Cancun. This is not exactly the relaxing spa one was looking for.

The issues continue. I made this reservation six months in advance, only to find myself in a handicapped room. Bars throughout the bathroom and a wheel-in shower with a handheld and flip down seat. The handheld shower head sprayed the bathroom and then I had a huge puddle. I asked for a room a room change and it was going to be possible the 3rd day. Yet, issues got worse quickly and I booked and paid for an early flight to leave.

The septic system backed up and the pump in front of the dining room pumped the sewage directly in to the number 100 rooms. (photo attached) They closed the patio dining that evening and shut all of the doors because of the stench. Yet, the odor filled our rooms and there was no apology. It was like being stuck in a septic field or the most unimaginable outhouse for two days. The customer service and lack of assistance is recorded in the attached interview when I asked CEO Michael Tompkins about these issues. Listen here : chirb.it/ehqctd If this is how he handled our group complaints, I believe it is indicative of his level of professionalism in running Miraval.

With no classes available for the newest experience "Hanging Meditation" we were told our only option was to book a "private" 45 minute class for $325. We did so for Friday morning at 9:00 am. (The ONLY time this would be possible during our stay) Friday at 6:00 am another Hanging Meditation class was miraculous added and immediately filled. And without an apology or any consideration, we were still charged the $325.

Dinner reservations were very limited and we found ourselves unable to eat until 8:00 pm. The spa was a rotating cycle and the facilities were definitely booked to capacity.

The topper was unfounded and undocumented "complaints" about our group and direct personal accusations made to myself by Michael Tompkins when I tried to work as an advocate to resolve these issues. I was trying to find a resolution for the issues at hand and was rather asked to not return. There were multiple large groups much more gregarious than ourselves. We were considerate, polite, paid for private classes, and purchased extensive spa treatments. It might sound crazy, and if I didn't have other witnesses, I wouldn't have believed it myself! I was truly flabbergasted. I have never met a man who should be a professional at crisis management but rather ranked as the rudest man I have ever met.

I would look at other options... Lake Austin , Canyon Ranch, Blackberry Farm, Red Mountain Resort Utah.

I am not asking for any financial concession. I am simply seeking a sincere apology from an individual above Michael Tompkins for the crass and rude way we were treated at Miraval.

Im glad to be home... and tonight I am finding twin two-year olds more relaxing than my stay at Miraval.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!