“5th visit. Disappointed with room situation. Everything else wonderful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa

You added Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
5000 E. Via Estancia, Tucson, AZ 85739   |
Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Chicago, Illinois
“5th visit. Disappointed with room situation. Everything else wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was our 5th visit to Miraval. We are a family of 4 adult children and our Mom. Obviously we have had great experiences in the past or we wouldn't go back. This time the experience was a little disappointing. We made our reservations for 3 rooms in January and requested certain rooms. When we arrived the rooms were not available as the resort was full. We could understand that. However the room assigned to my 80 year old mother and one sister had only one bed and a shower in a tub which my mom couldn't use. They did change her room to one with a shower stall but still only one bed. We were there for 5 nights. They said they would do everything they could to change her room. But they didn't do anything. It all worked out ok but it is disappointing to spend that much money and not get the type of room that you reserved many months before. When we checked out they gave her a $300 credit. That didn't seem fair to me.

On the good side. The spa and staff were amazing. Alena is an amazing massage therapist. The dining room staff were always upbeat and helpful. Elizabeth was our favorite server. The food was great. You can eat as much as you want. The morning hikes were wonderful.

Overall, we had a great trip.

Room Tip: I'm not sure it matters what type of room you ask for since they don't feel that they have t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Hi there - First, thank you for your continued loyalty to Miraval. We love having you and your family here at our resort. And thank you for writing with your feedback about your recent stay. I do sincerely apologize about the room situation - it's certainly a situation that we do our absolute best to avoid and we appreciate you being flexible as we worked through it. With that said, I'm glad to hear that you had a great trip and enjoyed our hiking, spa, and food. We do hope that you'll visit Miraval again in the future and I hope to personally sit down and talk with you upon your return.
Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Wall Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My friends and I just returned from a fantastic girl's trip . The food is great , the spa relaxing , the location stunning and the beds dream inducing. This place cares about the cliental . I believe that caring attitude starts at the top. Our group was lucky enough to meet Michael , the GM/Pres. I was very impressed with his experience , knowledge and caring. All in all everything was great. The only minor improvements I would make are 1) at the pools ; drinks service and towel/lounge chair set up. 2) dining room; the wait staff does not live up to the rest of the place ( maybe its hard to get experienced staff out here , I don't know ) 3) the coffee and juice bar need longer hours and more staff. The wait for speciality coffees took forever , maybe they need another machine also. 4)turn down service would be nice 5) lastly , and this one is important , we went on the 7am , 2 hour hike everyday ( fantastic ) but breakfast doesn't start until 6:30 . Very rushed , especially with the slow service and baristas . Breakfast should start at 6.
Other than that 5 stars !!

Room Tip: All the rooms are a little different , but you don't spend much time in them .
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Maddie - Thank you for taking the time to write. It was great to meet you too! I'm glad to hear that you and your friends had such a great visit with us. You're right when you say that we do care very much about our guests and are always looking to improve the guest experience at our resort. I appreciate all of the constructive feedback you mention above and we will certainly take it to heart. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a future visit.
Glenview, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Miraval. While my expectations were incredibly high, my recent five day visit exceeded all my expectations many times over. The place was beautiful, the food was excellent, the available activities were great as we're the spa services, and most of all the service was superb and could not have been better. I tried things I have never tried such as zip lining, yoga, meditation, an Aqua Zen treatment in a heated pool. I also learned how to live my life without stress and to be more aware of my surroundings. While this sounds like hippie hocus pouts, it was anything but that - especially since I am a type "A "
person who is very analytical. Even the people who were visiting Miraval when I visited were very friendly and fun to be around -seeing them often as we went to various classes, lectures, etc. I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL I GO BACK FOR ANOTHER VISIT. Thank you Miraval!

Room Tip: Select your room based upon where you plan to spend most of your time during your visit!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Michael - Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us! I'm thrilled to hear that you and your wife had such an incredible time here and tried such a variety of activities and services during your stay. It sounds like you embraced our philosophy and had a true vacation in every sense of the word. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval in the near future!
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Our first trip to Miraval was a spring vacation for my 20-year old daughter. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will definitely return. Many of the guests we met at the Miraval have been there year after year and I can see why! We had no expectations of what to expect and by the end of our week we felt energized, healthy, and sun kissed while strengthening our mother-daughter bond.

Our room was lovely. We were located in the 600’s and absolutely loved our room, outdoor shower and view. It was a longer walk than other rooms, but we felt it was worth it. Our bed was comfortable and we even utilized the DVD library, but I have to admit, we were so tired at the end of each day we never made it through one movie. The bathroom was contemporary, room spacious, linens fluffy and soft, and we enjoyed our generous sized patio overlooking the Sonoran Desert and Cascade Mountains.

The food was light, portioned and delicious. I heard others complain of portion sizes. If you are still hungry, just ask. They will give you more. I also found that if you had a request or modification to a dish, they were very accommodating. We loved the juice and smoothie bar!

We tried to experience as much as we could and so glad we did! Every morning we started with the 2-hour hike. It was brisk and refreshing. A great way to start each day! We also had the opportunity to do one of the equine experiences, walk the tight rope that was 35’ in the air, and the Quantum Leap. The staff is well trained. They work to make each experience a self-discovery opportunity, if you want it to be. We also took advantage of the exercise classes. They were fun. We found the classes to be lower in intensity and would have enjoyed a few additional advance classes.

The spa was gorgeous! We had the Thai Massage, Hot Stone Massage, a body scrub and a facial. All were fantastic! I would definitely book an outdoor spa treatment.

Overall, the grounds were lovely, the rooms comfortable, the food was tasty, the out door adventures were invigorating, the spa was luxurious. There was always something to do or experience.

Room Tip: The 600's have a gorgeous view and outdoor showers...but it is a bit of a walk from the main bui...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Hi there - First, thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your recent stay with us. We so appreciate you sharing your experience with others. I'm thrilled to hear that Miraval exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your room, food, and activities. I'm also glad that you were able to experience such a variety of spa services and that you challenged yourself with Quantum Leap. We look forward to seeing you and your daughter back at Miraval again soon!
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

13 times - and the good luck continues! Once again, my Mom and I had a wonderful mother-daughter trip to Miraval - and this time included my daughters (including the pregnant one!) As one cousin said - now three and a half generations have enjoyed this incredible destination!

Where else is every staff member - from housekeeper to aesthetician to the general manager - dedicated solely to meeting your every need? And where else is such a luxurious place chosen by the most down-to-earth, interesting and friendly guests? Where, too, is the food fabuous, plentiful AND healthful?

And finally, where else in such an expansive setting is the over-riding feeling one of individualized care and treatment?

It's Miravulous (after so many years I had to come up with a new word to describe it!) - marvelous, miraculous, Miraval.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi Deborah - Wow. Thank you for your continued love for Miraval. It's so wonderful to hear that Miraval has become your destination of choice to spend quality time with your daughters. We couldn't be happier about that as we strive each day to make sure that Miraval provides the individualized attention to every guest. We look forward to seeing you and your family again on a future visit!
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Visited the first time in December 2011 and have been looking forward to returning! Finally made it back and can't wait to go again! Room was very comfortable (although my lock did stick), food was fabulous (no one came home with me to give me bowls of fresh berries and sliced fruit!), and staff was always very service oriented. Melissa's morning stretch alone was a reason to return, sadly she only taught one the week we were there. We tried Zumba, meditation classes, intuitive classes, breath walking, yoga and more. I normally don't like to be so busy on vacations but it seems to work here - it is all so enjoyable.
The grounds are gorgeous and I'm so impressed by how lovely and relaxing the new spa is. I enjoyed this experience with a dear friend but I would feel very comfortable returning solo. Hope to go back soon - will be calling Donna @ Mindful Adventures to book for me - she gets us great deals and is so helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hi Kat - Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay! I am glad you enjoyed the food, fitness classes and your time in the new Life in Balance Spa! We look forward to welcoming you back for more relaxation, meditation, and yoga on your next visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was at this resort for a business function. If you like being waaaaay outside the city, this is your place. It is beautiful, if you don't like desert scape this is not for you. Food is good but this is a spa and the portions are tiny if you are not a very small girl. Lots of outdoorsy things to do and interesting classes. Enjoyed the private trail ride very much. Found it very relaxing, just wish civilization was closer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Hi Janet - Thanks for making the trip out to Miraval! It's true that Miraval is about a 45 minute drive from Tucson proper; however, the majority of Miraval guests travel to the Southwest specifically to visit our resort. Since we provide complimentary airport transfers, our guests have no need to rent a car during their stay. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your private trail ride. We hope to welcome you back to Miraval again soon!
Michael

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!