“An amazing retreat with some drawbacks” 4 of 5 stars

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
5000 E. Via Estancia, Tucson, AZ 85739   |
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Boston, Massachusetts
“An amazing retreat with some drawbacks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Miraval is really one of those amazing experiences that I feel lucky to have had. The grounds are stunning and we had perfect weather everyday. The food is healthy, delicious, and I never felt hungry as there were so many different options to suite a variety of tastes. The juice bar was terrific and they had ingredients to pretty make any fresh juice or smoothie you could possibly think of. Our room was spacious and beautifully appointed with an extremely comfortable bed. The staff were incredibly friendly and all of our spa treatments were wonderful.

My first complaint is that all the unique experiences at Miraval require advance sign up once you are on property and each activity generally has a limit of just 8 people. Upon arrival, we found most of what we wanted to do had already been filled up. The staff claimed that it was an incredibly busy time for them, but I feel that they should have added additional activities if that was the case. They also claim that they can accommodate private activities if you aren't able to go to the scheduled ones, but we asked to have a private scheduled for three different things, and were told they couldn't accommodate any of our requests.

My second complaint was that the afternoons lacked interesting activities or classes (generally just yoga/meditation), and there were several times during the day where there was only one class/activity, so if you weren't interested in it, you were out of luck. On the plus side, this made it so we relaxed at the pool/hot tub more than we would have, but I would have preferred it if we were there because we wanted to be, not because there was nothing else to do.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort as it really is a unique experience that I will remember for a long time to come.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Catalina mountains.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Hi There - Thank you for sharing about your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed our beautiful desert weather, food, spa treatments and your guest room. I do apologize that you were unable to participate in some of the activities you had wanted to do while you were here. During our busiest season, we try our absolute best to add on classes and staff to accommodate all our guests' requests. I hope you''ll have a chance to visit Miraval again and experience those items on a future visit.
Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have visited 4 times over the last several years - so this is a compilation report on our various experiences. We enjoyed our first visit, although when we first arrived, we did ask ourselves what Oprah and Steve Case saw in the place. To really experience it, you have to go to the classes - the exercise classes and the growth classes. Sadly over time, these offerings have not changed much. So if you want to go back again and again for the same classes that you love, you will be happy. But don't expect something new every time. And expect that all the other complementary non-exercise classes to really be a sales tool to get you to pay for expensive private coaching. Each instructor is there to fill up a few days of private coaching every week - so most of these offering are an entree into a paid session if you really want more than a cursory overview. Also beware that the daily "credit" which covers your meals and some activities can only be used for certain activities. We were dismayed to see that this credit is not valid for many of the newer offerings. The spa is first rate (especially the year old "new" spa) with some great therapists but just like any other spa anywhere, they are not all great and treatments and therapists should be chosen carefully. The food is healthy and there are many choices - although you will recognize menu items over time and I would prefer not to see 2 of the 3 meals rely on buffet service (where there is no hand sanitizer and I did not see spoons replaced). The views of the Catalina mountains are fantastic but beware that some of the rooms are much better than others. The staff is mostly friendly and there is little turnover - which is good and bad. It's nice to see a familiar face but some of them are almost too comfortable and service is not what we have seen at 5 of even 4 star properties. If you want to go, be sure to watch for one of their specials/sales. There is no need to pay full price. Worth a visit - but we'll be spending our spa/relaxation $$$ elsewhere in future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi There,
Thank you for visiting Miraval again. I am dismayed to hear that you feel there are no new classes or programs to attend. In the last few months, if you look at the monthly experience guide, you'll notice over 15 experiences labeled "NEW" including Atheletology, Chakra Vinyasa Yoga, Hands-On Baking, and Ready, Set Cook. Our team of staff and wellness specialists are constantly innovating and bringing new options to the table. Just this month Miraval began offering Aerial Yoga classes and private sessions as well as Floating Meditation (a Miraval exclusive) to our guests. Should you choose to visit Miraval again in the future, please let our team know that you are interested in new offerings and we will gladly help you build an itinerary to suit your wishes.

With regard to your statement about complimentary lectures being a "sales tool," I disagree. Our specialists offer genuine knowledge and insight during their lectures however their work is often best suited on an individual basis to personalize a plan or feedback to each person (i.e. personalized nutrition consultation, wellness counseling, psychic reading, etc) It is true that there are some experiences for which you may not use your resort credit but these items are clearly noted in the Experience Guide and on the website. We are happy to offer over 200 services, workshops, and classes that resort credits may be applied to.

We wish you the best on your future travels.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you are ready to get away from the daily grind and spend time getting the balance back into your life, Miraval Resort is the place.
Nestled near the mountains, an hour drive from Tucson's airport, Miraval offers an all inclusive experience for both sexes.
We took a mother-daughters trip in early March, the weather was great. The mornings were cool, the afternoons, warm and the evenings were pleasant.
Our agenda was to relax, take advantage of the Spa service offerings and dine on the health conscious food choices. We were not disappointed.
All the guest service staff were eager to please and the Spa staff treated each guest as if they were royalty.
I will warn you in advance of a few things. Cellphones and electronic technology use is limited to designated areas. So if you are attached to your device you might have issues.
All food is spa cuisine, translated to not your hamburger and fries. There are plenty of choices offered in the daily buffet along with menu daily specials.
This is an adult only resort, that offers educational topics from a fine team of specialists.
The dress code is spa comfortable, leave the dress clothes at home.
Check out their website and the online guide prior to going to get a better idea of the possibilities.
I plan to return, once I can save for a return stay.

Room Tip: Miraval offers villas as well as traditional rooming options.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi There! Thank you so much for sharing about your recent visit with us! We hope your mother-daughter trip was everything you hoped it would be and more. We're so glad that you enjoyed our food, spa, and wellness activities and look forward to welcoming you back on a future stay!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My daughter and I, her friend and her friend's mom, visited Miraval for the first time as part of the girls getaway package in March, 2013. We stayed three nights and loved it! We wished we could have stayed longer! Simply Divine! We enjoyed everything we did, including private sessions with Dr. Nicolai, Anne Parker, the cooking demonstration, Kitchen Talk class, drumming with Tony Redhouse, the Inspiration & Rejuvenation with Clay session with Pam and Tim, as well as many other activities and spa services. I particularly loved the anti-aging facial and relaxing hot stone massage. Spa personnel were fabulous and there was a large selection of services to choose from. (The Quiet Room was a favorite!) We sincerely want to thank everyone on staff including the drivers who took us from/to the airport, the cleaning and grounds staff, and the waiters and waitresses. They were truly helpful and friendly and seem to enjoy working there. Guest Services were attentive and patient as we scheduled our many activities.The food was delicious and we appreciated the large selection of healthy choices, including the smoothie bar! The sessions were very informative, and we feel we learned a lot to help us deal with the daily stress in our lives. Our rooms were large and nicely decorated, and the beds were extremely comfortable (like sleeping in a cloud); I would have loved to pack one in my suitcase! Thank you again for a relaxing, life-changing vacation. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Next time I am going to ask for a room with a mountain view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi Sharon,
Thank you so much for sharing your enthusiasm for Miraval with us! It sounds like you were able to experience a variety of Miraval offerings during your visit wish us. It's wonderful to hear that our philosophy of mindful guest service shone through our staff in your interactions with each team throughout your trip. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval when you return!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We had an absolutely lovely experience at Miraval - lovely room with huge tub, outside and inside showers, and attractive and tasteful decor. Loved the fact that all meals included and no tipping permitted. Very good assortment of activities offered at no charge (yoga, tai chi, hikes, lectures, etc) - each activity that we attended had a very good instructor. Also many other spa services available at fairly reasonable charge. Food was well prepared, delicious (while at the same time being healthy), and very nicely presented. All-inclusive approach and small portions allowed us to order several courses in a "tasting menu" style. Beautiful and spiritually refreshing setting, both on the resort grounds and general environs.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi There,
Thank you so much for posting this review about your recent stay! I'm glad that you embraced our no tipping policy, complimentary yoga and fitness classes, and our food. We hope to see you again soon at Miraval!
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Besides a small problem with the room I booked, that was somehow not available till my second night ( i requested a king bed & was given 2 doubles) ...Mirival was amazing. I really enjoyed having all my meals prepared for me & everything was delicious! I really loved all the exercise options and the wellness activities were unbelievable! If you plan on going, look at the Monthly Activities Guide ahead before you book your trip, so you will have an idea of what days you might want to go to participate in the different classes & activities they offer. i arrived on a Saturday early afternoon, and since you can sign up for the next days events ahead, the one thing I really wanted to do was booked already for the following day, I left on Tuesday afternoon and it was not long enough! Go for a week if you can!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hi There,
Thank you for writing! Although I do sincerely apologize that we did not have your requested room type until the 2nd night of your stay, I'm glad to hear that the Miraval experience made up for that unfortunate event. It's wonderful to hear that you loved the fitness and wellness activities you attended and that you plan to stay for a week on your next trip to have the time to participate in everything you wish. We hope to see you back at Miraval again soon!
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My dear friend invited me to join her here to celebrate our Milestone birthdays. She made the arrangements through a deal on Rue LaLa. I had not heard of Miraval before, but my local esthetician had. She raved at me as though it were the other ship. In fact...it is the ultimate Spa/Resort destination. The deal was all inclusive, no tipping and perfectly wonderful. Their priority is Mindful Living and they are thorough and committed to that ideal. There is a 44 page document wihich describes all of the various activities and services you may choose to enjoy during your stay. I was overwhelmed at irst, but they were helpful when it came to scheduling my time. And it's ok if I wanted to do nothing too...although I couldn't resist taking advantage of many of the wonderful, well organized offerings. The food was plentiful and always available. Breakfast and lunch are served in a buffet style and one makes reservations for dinner.there was a jiuce/espresso/smoothie bar that was open from 6 am til 3 pm in case you weren't able to make the defined meal times. The best thing about the food was that it is all beautifully prepared and very healthy. I loved every bite I put into my mouth. It gave me the chance to try things I don't want to try for the first time at home. And the servers were very kind and encouraging. We could have half portion and one of everything if we wanted. That felt wonderful. No deprivation....just thoughtful consideration.
I will be saving my own money so that I can go back again. My spa services were well done. The facility was spectacular. And I felt valued but not micro managed. A great place to relax and e a grown up!
Thank you, Miraval....I'll be back!

Room Tip: You could select a room with an eye for some activities that you are drantoward. There are several d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hi Maria - Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review of your first Miraval experience. I couldn't be happier hearing that you embraced Miraval's mindfulness philosophy upon arrival and immersed yourself in our activities and spa services. It's always nice for me to hear stories like yours about our staff's ability to be helpful in navigating the resort experience for each individual. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval soon!
Michael

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!