“Relax and Renew!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Tucson
“Relax and Renew!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We have recently booked our annual family reunion /girls retreat again this year in March at Miraval. It is only a few weeks away and my sister-in-law from Texas just emailed me that she is counting the days! Last spring was a first time visit for her and her sister from New York! My Mom (from Mesa, AZ) is still talking about what a perfect day it was. (She loved her facial--the best ever she reports!) We have lots of great photos from last year's visit. In those shots are all smiling in our comfy robes by the pool with those glorious mountains in the background! All of us were "a-glow"- just fresh from our spa treatments. The food and services were top notch in every detail.
Looking forward to our next opportunity to relax and renew!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
U.S.A.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

When you get to Miraval, you receive an arrival package that includes a letter inviting you to send yourself a note describing your "Aha!" experience at the outrageously expensive spa. I'll post my note here instead. When I booked the stay, I was offered an opportunity to upgrade (for several hundred dollars more) to a room with a mountain or desert view. What did I get? You can see in the photo below. I marched back to the front desk, where I was informed that the offer was actually for a room with a "mountain, desert or water-feature view," which in this case meant a tacky artificial fountain and another building. Aha!, I thought, this place is a ripoff. I asked for a room that delivered on what I was told I would be paying for. The next day, I was relocated to a slightly nicer room -- with a view of an enclosed patio (see photo below). I marched back to the front desk to complain, where I was told that was all that was available. I was asked if I wanted someone from management to "reach out" to me. I said yes, but no one ever did. Aha!, I said, they don't care about their customers. As for the spa itself, the food is bland but healthy, the spa services range from adequate to incompetent, and the classes are run by instructors who probably can't get work someplace good. So, don't go to Miraval expecting a relaxing experience, because at these prices, it's just going to enrage you. Aha!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hello and thank you for the post about your stay. We also read your comment card as we review and take serious all of our guest feedback. We try to do everything we can to meet the needs of all of our guest and we are sorry that the accommodations were not what you were looking for. We also realize Miraval is not for everyone and wish you the best of luck in choosing your next travel destination. Sincerely, Michael
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night stay at Miraval. First stay under new management and many things are better and some are not. I reserved a premium room with mountain view and tub. When I arrived told the all the rooms I requested (and reserved with down payment) were occupied. I took a basic room with a tub and it was dark, so dark it was not possible to read at night without using the light on the Kindle, and had not been updated in decor for years. However, it was quiet and the heat worked well. The intake person assured me that when the premium rooms were vacated she would move me (last I heard about it).
The spa services are expensive, really expensive. But 75% of them were really high quality and some are available few other places: Aqua Zen and Naga are rarely found and the Thai massage (Rebecca) was out of this world. The spa environment is lovely. The temperature control in the spa area needs attention. It was either 90+ or there was arctic air blowing. Manicure services were not as pleasant as those found at Lovely Nails staffed with non English speaking Vietnamese immigrants.
The food is good the first and maybe second times it is presented. I say good not great because it is really bland. There were many opportunities to use spices not heat or acid not salt to boost the flavor. It was really unimaginative and dull. That said, the fish was almost always well cooked. Sauces were re-purposed from day to day: example tomato soup today arrives cooked down as Romanesco sauce on swordfish (what were they thinking) tomorrow. Shrimp at lunch and dinner today show up in grits with corn and shrimp (don't even think about it) tomorrow. Leftover steak appears thickly sliced with no seasoning or spices as "carne asada". Absurd calorie counts (301 calories) are presented on the menus.
There were few offerings which were free and did not afford an opportunity to promote other products or paid sessions.
Yoga and stretch classes had about 75% of the necessary space and props.
Cell phone free policy was an unexpected balm to the soul. It is not until you are deprived of the interference for several days that you can appreciate what an intrusion these devices are.
Non tipping policy is great. However, appreciate that there is a hefty service fee tacked on to the bill. Room service menu has no mention of the $25.00 service charge (quite a departure from other premium hotels which clearly state the service charge or mandatory tip). Wine by the glass and drinks are offered at $15+ per for ingredients which are unconscionably marked up.
Would I return? Maybe. But not without a critical examination of the fees, resort credits and schedules (which are not available when you make your reservations for spa services).

Room Tip: speak to a human, do not rely on the web self service reservation service as they do not honor your...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hi There - Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I’m sorry your recent visit to Miraval fell short of your expectations. I wish I had known of your dissatisfaction while you were here with us so I might have helped make your stay go more smoothly. I am surprised to hear your feedback about our food as it is always a highlight of many guests' experiences. Additionally, we incorporate the freshest ingredients daily and our culinary team has received many accolades for their ability to make flavorful, healthy dishes.

I'm glad to hear that you appreciated the cell phone policy - we find that it helps create the serene, mindful environment for self-reflection. Before your next visit, I would be happy to discuss with you the structure of our fees, resort credits and spa schedule so you will be completely comfortable and enjoy a Miraval experience that will become one of the most stellar vacations of your life. Thank you for visiting us and we do hope to see you back at Miraval soon.

Curacao, Netherlands Antilles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I just returned from a 5-day stay at Miraval as I had the opportunity to be there for the Hay House event with Louise Hay and Cheryl Richardson. From the moment I arrived until my last minute at Miraval I found myself surrounded by peace, love and happiness. I absolutely loved everything about the resort. The rooms and the gardens are magnificent. The bed is wonderful. I wanted to take mine home! The food is very healthy and delicious and the activities and the spa experiences were just amazing. Most of all what makes Miraval so special is the people working there. The staff is very friendly, ready to help, accommodating and gracious and I would like to thank all of them for making me feel really at home. I will return next year and I have already decided that I will make Miraval a yearly ritual to pamper myself with good self-care.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hi there- Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words about your visit to Miraval for the Louise Hay and Cheryl Richardson's Hay House event. It sounds as though you were really able to enjoy all that Miraval has to offer. I'm so proud of our staff here, and it is wonderful to hear that they were all able to make you feel at home during your stay. I will pass along your thanks to them! We look forward to seeing you when you return!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderful couple of days at a Miraval, a great Spa near Tucson AZ. Initially I was a bit skeptical when Andrea mentioned we were booked there - after all, Spa Resorts are normally for the Girls! However within 4 hours of our arrival I was hooked! Excellent food (heathy-but full of flavor) , a smoothie/coffee bar, a great male sauna/swim/steam/jacuzzi area and lots of male-friendly activities (mountain biking/hiking/golf/Horse riding and outdoor adventure challenges to get the heart-rate pumping!)

The Staff were friendly and laid-back- helping to get into the "chilled-out" Zone

One interesting aspect were the more ZEN-focussed activities- e.g drumming/healthy eating - I (surprisingly) really enjoyed these sessions- great expert speakers and a nice "group" feel with the other guests

I almost forgot - My wife Loved the whole experience too!

We'll be back!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the mountains are a great choice!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there- Thanks for writing! I'm so glad that both you and your wife loved the Miraval experience. You're right, it's not just for the ladies- there is truly something for everyone! Miraval is all about opening minds and trying new things and it sounds as though you were able to do just that. We will hope to see you back again soon!

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

You pay a lot for this place and I do not see the value. The meals are so small its ridiculous. They put the calories on everything. For dinner the appetizer and the main meal totalled 280 calories. You can always ask for double servings or 2 meals but what the hell. My friend and I had gas all the time and we could not figure it out. The quality of the food was good but the variety was limited and very repetitous. Service was iffy, one evening it took over an hour and a half to eat dinner. The rooms were what I would consider a 4 star. Some staff were friendly others were not. The spa services were lacking in service and expensive. No showing you around the spa. The masseuse was late and finished early. Every free program I went to it seemed like it was an advertisement for other services and they provided very little information during the free class. So basically I felt like the only way I could get anything out of the services was to pay for them. So on top of the high per day cost there were $75 each up to $150 each (most an hour or two) and hundreds of dollars if you wanted spa treatments. Given the amount it costs per day I could stay at a five star hotel and have five star meals. The free activities did not compensate for the mark up. So expect to pay 5 star prices for a four star property.The gym classes I took were good.

An added note - spa services of $150 a day were suppose to be included in the package. I was specifically speaking to the prebook services by email about this credit and booking my services. They failed to tell me the service I booked was not included in the credit so I ended up not only paying $400 more but losing my spa credit. Upon speaking to guest services all I got was well if you read the brochure in detail you would have basically figured it out. The brochure is large, I dont know why it could not have been mentioned in the emails. I guess deception brings in higher revenues for them in the short term but I wont be back in the long run.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hi there,
I'm so sorry to hear that your Miraval experience did not meet your expectations. Miraval is all about choice and our dining experience can be as limiting or as robust as you choose. As a wellness spa resort, we do list our calories on our menu items which many of our guests find helpful as they make food choices throughout their stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the fitness classes you attended. As you can imagine, in our complimentary wellness lectures, our specialists can give general information that would be applicable to everyone but what we find most helpful is when our guests take the time to sit down in a private session with one or more of our specialists (i.e. a private session with our nutritionist who can design a personalized plan based on your tastes, dietary restrictions, and lifestyle). We strive to meet each guest on an individual level to create not only the most memorable vacation but also to help you bring wellness tools back into your life at home.
I would be more than happy to discuss your stay with you personally. Please contact my office to speak with me or another member of our Executive team. We are always looking for ways to improve the Miraval experience for our guests.
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Spent 4 days at Miraval with a close friend and we both loved it. We were both exhausted from our high stress jobs and found the environment, people, food and classes of Miraval to be just what we needed. We wished we had been there for a week or more! The food was excellent and varied, we appreciated that many of the instructors in the exercise classes were inspiring older women in amazing shape, we learned a lot from lectures and conversations with Anne, Victoria, Andrew and Sheryl, equine experience gave us insights into our urge to control things and need to focus and listen, Mattie and Alyssa helped us as yoga novices and reminded us to breathe, and we enjoyed treatments that included shiatsu (Rebecca was great) and watsu. We did not like our first room much (it was too dark) but were able to move to a nicer room with a peaceful patio. Suggestions: include a guide to the vegetation, birds and animals in each room; open the new yoga studio to the outside (thoughwe think there might be noise from the road); have a good quality telescope on the property to look at the stars, have good book assigned for each week and have a reading group discussion one evening, perhaps have beaded jewelry and tile making so people can make something as a memento.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hi there - Thank you for taking the time to write! I'm glad to hear that you took much needed time for yourself and that you were able to try a variety of activities- from the Equine Experience to Shiatsu! We are always looking to add new programming to our schedules so I sincerely thank you for your suggestions! I hope to see you at Miraval again in the near future.

Kind regards,
Michael

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!