“Renew and recharge” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 127 hotels in Tucson
New York City, New York
“Renew and recharge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I've been to Miraval at least five times over the past 10 years, and it never lets me down as the go to place for relaxation and renewal. I've been with friends, and also traveled there solo several times.

For a spa vacation, I look for: a beautiful and inspiring setting, best-in-class and unique spa treatments, accommodations that make me feel pampered and well-cared for, and healthy delicious food where I don't leave the dining room feeling hungry. I am not looking for a boot camp or a hyper competitive environment with a bunch of alpha women trying to outdo each other (I get that everyday in NYC). And at the end of a day of activities, I want to have a glass of wine or a cocktail.

Miraval ticks all of those boxes. My top tips: definitely invest some time before you go looking at the activity schedule so you can get a sense of the things you'd like to do and when they are offered. Book your spa appointments before you go. Don't just do the usual facials and massages; book something unusual. Last time I did a mind blowing sound massage (I don't think they are offering it anymore) that was recommended by the reservationist. Ask the staff about their favorite treatments and experiences -- they have good tips. Definitely do one of the hikes on the property around Miraval. And the equine experience is truly one of a kind.

Most important, have fun!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hi there - Thank you for taking the time to write! I'm so proud that Miraval is able to be your "go-to" place for relaxation and renewal. We offer such a wide variety of activities and services so that each guest is able to make conscious choices during each stay. It sounds as though you have been able to try some truly unique experiences. We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Miraval is situated on a beautiful piece of property at the base of the mountains. The setting is really lovely with great views, palm trees, etc. It is pretty isolated and so you really feel like you can more easily disconnect from the world. It is also a comprehensive experience. For example, the food is extremely healthy, there are many exercise classes to choose from, and there are classes for your mind as well. So you come away feeling healthier overall. Kind of like a luxe camp for grown ups.

This is my third time to Miraval. The spa is now even more beautiful. I love the renovation. But for some reason, my treatments were not as great as they have been in the past. Especially considering how very expensive they are. My scrub was just ok. And my thai massage was a bit uncomfortable. I actually came away with a small bruise on my foot. My therapist also randomly pushed on my stomach (which I did not see coming at all). I had recently had surgery and so had some pain the rest of the trip. I told him about it and he for some reason pushed on it again. So instead of feeling relaxed, I came away a bit worried, and I still have some discomfort after my trip.

My room (600's) was beautiful. At first I thought I wouldn't like it, since it was so far away from the main facilities. It was freezing cold during our stay, so I dreaded the bitter cold walk to breakfast, etc. Also, the path was unpaved. But the room inside was gorgeous. Very spacious and contemporary. Huge bathtub & outdoor shower. The beds are the best EVER.

I was disappointed that they have started charging over $100 for classes that used to be free. I did not want to spend my daily credit on that. The spa treatments seem to have gotten more expensive as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hi there - Thank you for writing about your stay and thank you for your continued loyalty to Miraval. I'm so glad to hear that you loved our new spa and enjoyed the variety of classes and activities that we offer each day. I apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced during your trip. We encourage all our guests to share any injuries or special needs at the time of booking and again upon first meeting the spa therapist or aesthetician. We hope that each guest comes away from Miraval feeling better than before. I'm glad to hear that you loved your Catalina room. They are absolutely gorgeous and are the perfect blend of modern luxury and desert-inspired design. You're right that we have made some minor adjustments to how our guests can "spend" their resort credits. As you know, most of our all-inclusive packages include a $150 resort credit per night of stay. This is an allowance that can be used on 80% of all spa services, private sessions with Miraval specialists, and group activities/workshops. And we are thrilled to offer more than 90 different complimentary activities each week so there's always something to do at Miraval whether you're interested in hiking, wellness, challenge activities, fitness, yoga or just lounging by the pool. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back at Miraval again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great place if you want to totally relax, reflect, and take advantage of wonderful spa treatments, fun exercise programs, and interesting workshops. Good place for girls getaway!

Also offers rope courses, cycling, and offsite golf.

I liked the food offerings, however, my husband found the menus limiting for his taste.

• Stayed November 2012
Hi there- Thanks for writing! You are absolutely right, Miraval is the perfect place to relax, reflect, and take advantage of amazing programs and services! I hope to see you back again soon!

Kind regards,
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We enjoyed three days of "Miraval experience" during January. There were numerous options to self-nurture including lectures, spa services, exercise, food, nature, and serenely comfortable accommodations. The meals were healthy AND delicious. The only negative I can ascribe to this resort is that I feel we were dealt with a little differently because we were on a discounted package. A very minor request was twice ignored.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hi there - I'm glad that you enjoyed our spa, accommodations, and food. I'm sorry to hear that you felt you were treated differently than other guests - we strive to treat each and every guest with the same mindful guest service that is at the core of our philosophy.
We hope to welcome you back to Miraval again soon.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have now been to Miraval eight times in two and a half years. It is hard to describe the feelings each stay evoke. There is the Equine Experience with Wyatt Webb. Sessions with Pamela Landcaster and her Shunyia Sound Ceremony and/or her Tibetan Chakra Balancing are true body awakenings. There is Tim Frank and his Spirit Flight or Samadi Healing ceremony. Lolita whose gentleness during a Chi Neil Tsang massage or Craniosacral therapy has produced deep meditative experiences. There is Anne Parker and her Mirror of Soul sessions. There are the Nurture Facials with Victoria or the 100 minutes Signature Relax massage (heaven just before going to sleep). There are the various outdoor adventures and challenges. Photography or art classes. There are just too many activities to mention. Even one visit to Miraval is a life altering experience.

Room Tip: If you're going for the first time, I'd recommend the 100s, 200s or 300s Casitas areas. The...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi there – I want to first thank you for your continued loyalty to Miraval. I am so glad that you are able to get so much out of your time here and it sounds as though you have been able to take advantage of some of our most unique experiences! Thank you for taking the time to write and I will look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval again soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Book this place.

I was so looking forward to my stay at this resort and given the accolades it has supposedly received, I had high expectations.  Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed with the overall experience - especially given the exorbitant cost - more than $700 per night including the "fees".  Overall, it just felt like something was missing.  You're expecting everything to be off the charts in terms of amenities, service, food - and it's so not there.  Everything is about average.

To name a few things - towels and paper goods are rough and cheap, 50 minute /$150 facial went less than 45 minutes, guest service could not answer basic questions about the classes offered  and knew literally nothing about any of my group's events, food portions at the restaurant were comically small, was told to " go to the locker room" before my first treatment without a tour, guidance  or any further explanation, the restaurant actually closes in the middle of the day, the locker room was totally unattended - with hair in the showers, old towels, etc with no one around at all, was told spin class attendance was limited so get there early - got there early only to find out that "cards" for the class were given out and I didn't have one.  Honestly, I was shocked at just how mediocre everything was.

Suggestions- provide in room afternoon amenities like juice and fruit, have personal attendants assigned to each guest, improve the quality of overall service and attention to detail, have uniforms for all staff, increase resort credit amounts, have some kind of food service in the spa, don't screw people out of time on the WAY overpriced spa treatments.

Some pros- yoga classes with Alex were very good, food was tasty, the gift shop is cute,the property was clean, the servers in the restaurant are pleasant and attentive.

• Stayed December 2012
Hi there,
I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy your time at Miraval. I would like to personally discuss your suggestions for improvement. Please contact my office directly if you would like to speak with me or another member of our Executive team. I do hope that we can talk.
Best regards,
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed 4 days on a girl's getaway weekend at Miraval. The facilities are very clean and beautiful. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. The no tipping policy is awesome. The food is healthy and delicious with all nutritional info on cards on the buffet. Lots of good options for food allergies. Beds are comfortable, the fitness classes are fun. We didn't do the challenges like jumping off a 35 ft pole because it was cold and windy, but maybe next time. I wouldn't pay for the "lectures" as they were not informative or helpful at all, but every spa service was well worth the price and the therapists were all fantastic. Try the Thai massage!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi there!- Thank you for writing such a kind review. I’m so glad that you were able to have a great Girls’ Getaway experience at Miraval and that you were able to enjoy the amazing Life in Balance Spa! I look forward to welcoming you back again next time!

Michael

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!