“An Amazing 5 days” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
New York City, New York
“An Amazing 5 days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

when I arrived at Miraval I had just gotten over something very difficult, I needed to be rejuvenated. The staff came through tenfold! Each massage is amazing and they have so many to choose from. The whole package its just magical! The beds are heavenly! there is always something new and exciting to do! I loved the swing and a prayer! this place is so special!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I just returned from my first visit to Miraval Resort and the worst part of the visit was getting in the shuttle to depart for the airport! This place is truly magical and provided everything I needed for rejuvenation and reflection.

The staff was readily available in baggage claim at the Tucson Airport, however, be prepared to wait if there are other flights arriving around the time of your flight. I had to wait 30 minutes before we could depart in order for the staff to gather all of the other guests who were arriving/waiting for luggage. On the drive to the resort, guests are provided with bottled water, a Miraval tote bag, water thermos, waiver form to sign, and resort guide. The driving time is just under an hour.

Upon arrival into the gated resort, you almost feel the stresses of everyday life begin to peel away. The grounds are very soothing with beautiful works of art, cactus, and water flowing throughout. You are then escorted to sit with a guest relations representative to review your stay, followed by a comprehensive tour of the property. I recommend if there are any sign-up activities that you are interested in for the day following your arrival, sign up for them while you are on the tour. The sign-up cards are posted on the board very, very early in the morning and are for the current day and the next day. When I arrived in the afternoon, for example, I immediately signed up for the next day's morning hike without any problem. I never had a problem signing up for activities and was never on a wait list only because for the remainder of my stay, I would sign up first thing in the morning (before 7am) for the following day's activity. This strategy doesn't work well for people who want to sleep in, so I heard of several people who were unable to get into activities due to too many people signing up.

The rooms were quite nice, with the softest pillows on the bed. I slept like a baby every night!
The food was FANTASTIC! Keep in mind that food is provided to you in "portion controlled" amounts when ordered from the menu, but you can always order more than one item if you're still hungry. The dining room offers a community table that many times has one of the resident specialists seated to dine and answer guest questions on the topic of their specialty. This is also a great opportunity to meet people. Breakfast and lunch is open seating, but dinner requires a reservation. I tried to make my dinner reservation each morning when I arrived for breakfast so I didn't forget. Jennifer K., by the way, was the BEST of the wait staff! I got to a point where I would request to be seated on the side of the dining room that she was working because she really made the dining experience that much more enjoyable.

The spa...what can I say. It was a retreat within a retreat. The staff at the front desk were just great as well as the staff working back in the locker room. Everyone was genuinely friendly and incredibly helpful. I scheduled my days so that I ended each day with a different spa treatment and I'm glad I did. The Thai massage with Michael was the absolute best spa treatment I have ever had...ever! I had never had a Thai massage before and now it will be my go-to treatment. Loved it! I also had a facial with Elena, who I am convinced has magic fingers! The spa has a quiet room with a beautiful view of the mountains. I recommend arriving early for treatments and taking advantage of this peaceful space.

The fitness classes were varied and plentiful and sometimes overcrowded. Melissa was my favorite instructor because of her bubbly personality and ability to really motivate you by making the classes fun even when they were hard! Alex was great for the yoga and meditation classes.

This was a solo trip for me and in talking to other solo travelers, we all agreed that coming solo was the way to go, at least for the first visit. It allows you to really focus on you. The guest demographics was varied--solo travelers, couples, girls' groups and duets, old and young. That was part of the beauty of the experience. I can't recommend this resort enough and am counting the days (and dollars!) until I can visit again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My last review i wrote about their potential growing pains. Well they worked out the kinks. Miraval is a fabulous retreat and way to rejuvenate. The hikes are fabulous and a great way to start the day they have off site ones for a more strenuous hike. they other classes and activities are great as well. all the mediation and yoga is wonderful, the gym classes range from easy to difficult which is great for options. they just renovated the spa and it is spectacular. the new treatments are great, the staff is wonderful. the food is great as ever and their sous chef just became their executive chef so I imagine the quality will remain the same since he has been there a long time. it is a place where you can do a lot or not but the philosophy of being mindful of what you are doing, eating and putting out in the world is the best takeaway!!!

Room Tip: all the rooms are nice. just look on the map and decide what you want to be close too: food, spa, mi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hi There - Reading your review made me smile. I’m so glad that you had such a positive experience here on your most recent visit. It sounds like you took advantage of so many great Miraval activities—hiking, meditation, yoga, and spa treatments. I'm so proud that Justin Macy is now our Executive Chef! We are going to continue to see great things from him in the future! I look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Miraval is as special as you'd hope it would be... the sound of water from falls and brooks soothes the soul. The property is surrounded by mountain views and cactus landscaping and sculptures. It truly is a mind body experience. The spa on property is outstanding with opportunities for a wide variety of activities, active like hiking and quiet like meditation.

Room Tip: Each cluster has it's own beauty but closer to the main area restaurant(the 100's) was very...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hi there - Thank you for writing! I’m so glad to hear that Miraval was just as special as you hoped, and that both the property and activities were able to give you a full mind and body experience! I can’t wait to welcome you back again soon!
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a return trip for me after a decade break. When signing up for activities, we were unable to many times. They have just a few spots and more guests than they have had in the past. For experiences that do not require signup, rooms are often crowded. This is unfortunate. Key to finding space is getting to the sign up sheets right at 9 - 10 pm when they put up the new day. You will find it challenging to do anything that requires signing up on your first few days.

The spa was nicely upgraded, but the old rooms look like they could use a spruce.

The food is really great and you do not notice that you are eating reduced calories and it is available almost all day long.

The one thing that seemed sneaky to me was the resort fee. When quoted the room price, I assumed there would be tax, but there is a resort fee added to every night which is about 20% and this was not mentioned.

It would also be nice to have an option to do something at night (ie lecture) but everything stops at around 6 pm.

Room Tip: make certain the room has outside seating that is not shared because it is a nice way to start or en...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hi there - First, thank you for returning to us! As you noticed, we have added a huge array of classes and activities to our schedule over the past ten years. On any given day, it is impossible to predict which class will be the most “popular” and I’m sorry you couldn’t attend your favorites. I hope you found your second choice to be just as interesting, fun and memorable. When booking our future guests, it is our reservation agents' intent (as well it is Miraval’s booking policy) to be completely transparent with regard to the rates we quote you. Please forgive us if you misunderstood your entire package rate at the time of your booking or if something was mis-communicated. With regard to evening entertainment, we have discovered that the majority of our guests use that time to rest and reflect on their days’ activities and relish the quiet environment Miraval provides for self-reflection. Our spa is open until 10pm nightly so guests often use that time for evening spa services or to enjoy the spa facilities as well. I do hope your next visit is soon and that I will have the pleasure of visiting with you personally.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Miraval is not just a resort. It is a journey. This was my 3rd trip and each trip is unique.
Each day at Miraval is unique. The specialists are awesome. I would particularly recommend Dr. Jim Nicolai. His knowledge of integrative medicine is incredible. Manny & Lolita are the best for massages. Tony Redhouse's drumming class was a fun way to relax. Amy's Aqua Zen is awesome. She really knows how to make people feel comfortable in the pool. The food is delicious. Miraval is not only a place of relaxation but also a place of self discovery.

However there were some flaws this time around. To begin with trying to talk to somebody in reservations/ guest relations is very frustrating. Every time I called, I would usually have to wait for at least 10 minutes to talk to a real person. If I left a message it would take them at least 24 hours to respond. While the food was delicious, the food service was very slow this time. I hope things improve in these areas prior to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hi there - Thank you for taking the time to write about your 3rd visit with us! You are right—Miraval is definitely a journey, and our amazing team of specialists and staff help make each guest’s journey unique and powerful. I’m sorry to hear about your experience with Guest Services during your most recent stay. I appreciate your feedback as we certainly strive for the absolute best in guest service. We hope to see you again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

At this price one should expect a good wifi signal in the rooms. When signing up for activities we have struck out more than once. They have just a few spots and good luck if you want to do a sign up activity. This is unacceptable. For example we were assured of an activity on our arrival day and when we made an effort to get there on time, we were told it was full. Overall this is an amazing property but it should have more activity availability or just forget listing them. I think they end up upsetting more people than they please with this approach.
Food is great and no tipping policy is appropriate for a property like this.

• Stayed October 2012
Hi there - I'm sorry to hear that your wifi signal was not strong enough to meet your needs during your visit. I can tell you that we have recently upgraded our wifi infrastructure so I am confident that this would not be a problem should you choose to stay with us in the future. I was sorry to hear that you were unable to attend all the classes and activities that you had hoped. We try our best to accommodate all our guests and make sure to add classes to our regular schedule when we have particularly busy days. If you choose to stay visit Miraval again, please reach out prior to your stay so that we can insure you have a smooth and relaxing visit.
Michael

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!