“Nice place with a few deficiencies” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free at Miraval
Ranked #12 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Nice place with a few deficiencies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

At this price one should expect a good wifi signal in the rooms. When signing up for activities we have struck out more than once. They have just a few spots and good luck if you want to do a sign up activity. This is unacceptable. For example we were assured of an activity on our arrival day and when we made an effort to get there on time, we were told it was full. Overall this is an amazing property but it should have more activity availability or just forget listing them. I think they end up upsetting more people than they please with this approach.
Food is great and no tipping policy is appropriate for a property like this.

• Stayed October 2012
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hi there - I'm sorry to hear that your wifi signal was not strong enough to meet your needs during your visit. I can tell you that we have recently upgraded our wifi infrastructure so I am confident that this would not be a problem should you choose to stay with us in the future. I was sorry to hear that you were unable to attend all the classes and activities that you had hoped. We try our best to accommodate all our guests and make sure to add classes to our regular schedule when we have particularly busy days. If you choose to stay visit Miraval again, please reach out prior to your stay so that we can insure you have a smooth and relaxing visit.
Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Describing Miraval is like explaining what it feels like when sand sifts through your fingers. There are many layers: Spa, food, nature, people, horses. Whatever you need, whatever you want – there’s something at Miraval for you. I needed physical and mental challenge in the desert – I got it. I needed solitude and quiet – I got that, too. I wanted to be able to have a glass of wine, eat great food, reflect and reconnect with myself – all and more are possible and ENCOURAGED at Miraval. The messages – and the effect – are subtle. Be prepared to surprise yourself. Everyone I met was lovely, thoughtful, and sincere. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful, without being obsequious. The setting and the grounds are exquisite. There is a full schedule of activities if that’s your thing. DO book activities that have a fee well ahead of your visit if it’s important to you. I traveled alone as did many of the guests; you don’t need anything fancy to wear – it’s very chill – bathrobe chill. Is it worth the cost? Yes, it is. Would I return? Most definitely. It took at least 24 hours to get out of my East Coast, critical, fast-paced, result-oriented brain. And once I did, deep exhale….

Room Tip: The rooms are arranged in clusters in a circular fashion. There is no bad room at Miraval. Some ar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hi there - Thank you for writing! I'm so glad to hear that Miraval was able to help you unwind, reflect, and reconnect with yourself. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of many of our activities and services during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to write. I hope you are able to return to Miraval very soon!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Upon planning my trip to Miraval I knew I wanted to be open to connecting more with my body, mind and soul as this is one of the mantras at Miraval. I expected it would be restorative, relaxing and pampering but wanted to explore further how to connect to the spiritual depth to take the teachings back to everyday life. What I got was everything and so much more with a few “Ah ha” moments that have me be more open to transforming and getting even more in touch with my authentic self and realization of the energy I choose to put out into the world.

All of my expectations for a transcendent getaway at Miraval had been truly surpassed. From the moment I arrived I was greeted with caring staff that all seemed to have a purpose and passion for working at Miraval in their actions but most importantly in the energy they transmit.

There is a subtle message of going deeper within every experience you do or participate in at Miraval that acts as soft backdrop to meet you where you are at in life.

Many of the treatments are unique and transcendent like the Aqua Zen which truly recreated the feeling of being in my mom’s arm as a baby or in the womb. This love, peace and openness to feeling with all of the senses from the warmth of the water, to the gentle movement of my body to the stillness and peace of mind were gratifying. Letting go of control and going back to our innate sense of trusting the universe and a higher power I call God. It was no coincidence I needed to reconnect with this embodying of trust based on recent events in my life relating to my relationship with my own mom. This is truly what my soul longed for, compassion and forgiveness in order to heal.

I am amazed at how the atmosphere is so conducive to inner reflection and non judgement ; I thoroughly enjoyed the spiritual release of "Swing and a Prayer", the learning of being in the moment with the horses in the equine experience, the imposing gentle giants were a definite highlight that I have taken back with me. I could see beyond my fear and release old beliefs about perception that an affect reality.

I made the mind and stillness connection in mediation class and realized the importance of this practice that I once found grueling and unnecessary and made the connection to further moving and involving my body so I could be my best physically. I saw how the state of the mind and the body can produce a genuine harmonious energy to all of life situations.

This is a review based on my personal epiphanies and experiences, but I truly recommend a stay at Miraval, not only for the opulent spa amenities and sumptuous food, but having the prospect of a vast range of restorative classes and activities. I have come away with the awareness and, most importantly, the tools on how to connect my body, mind and soul so I can live more fully present, pure and more in tune with my authentic vision and the divine plan for my life. Thoroughly enjoyed the transcendence and restorative states I was able to explore and I’m so glad I was open to receive it and am definitely looking forward to seeing the evolution within myself when I go back.

Hi Jackie,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review about your visit to Miraval! It sounds as though you were able to truly recognize and experience reflection, awareness, and growth. I’m so happy that you had such an incredible experience with Aqua Zen! We can’t wait to welcome you back to Miraval soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

No cell phone usage policy throughout the facility is great. You are able to use the cell phone or lab tops in the comfort of your own room, otherwise throughout the facility is a relaxing atmosphere. The spa services are amazing and I even came home a little lighter. I really lost weight!!! They offer slimming treatments that exfoliates, detox and relaxes you. The male spa area was an oasis and the rooms are a nice size. The bed was the best, so soft and welcoming you to SLEEP. They offer excursions but I only did one. Let’s get real. I was busy getting massages, facials, eating, swimming, gym and sleeping. Recommend this spa for a great get away. It is a good spot for honeymooners.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hi Joseph - Thank you for writing! We are so proud of our new Life in Balance Spa and I'm glad to hear how much you enjoyed your services. It sounds like you were able to take much needed time to relax and be pampered. We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I were fortunate enough to win a 2 night stay at Miraval from the Ellen show. We extended our stay by one night. We had an incredible time. Everything was perfect. The staff were all friendly, pleasant and very nice and helpful. We packed our entire day with physical challenge activities, classes, and spa activities. We met and bonded with many wonderful people. I can't stop thinking about how much personal growth I got from this trip. The room was large and clean. I never saw a housekeeping staff and the grounds were clean and quiet. I really enjoyed the cell phone free areas. The food was excellent. I only have good things to say about Miraval and can't wait to plan my next visit!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Hi there - Thank you for taking the time to write! It's wonderful to hear that you were able to take advantage of so many of Miraval's activities and services during your stay. It's also great to hear that you enjoyed meeting and getting to know the other Miraval guests - as well as getting to know yourself better. I hope you are able to return in the near future!
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I just returned from three nights at Miraval Spa and am still amazed at the service we received.
I went with my two sisters...we go to a different spa getaway each year. Starting with our check-in and right down to getting our car, it was like it was everybody's first day. We never received a tour when we arrived, and this may seem unimportant, but the grounds are confusing and everything is so spread out, it would have been helpful to have the tour (which we found out later EVERYONE is supposed to get). Getting seated for meals (especially dinner) was a nightmare.
You would make a reservation and then when you arrived, they looked like they had never heard of you. Very strange. On the positive side, the grounds were beautiful, the pools amazing and the overall "vibe" very restful. I just expected, given their reputation, a more organized and professional experience. We won't go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello there – I’m glad to know you found Miraval to be a beautiful place and the energy of the property to be so restful. I apologize for the confusion surrounding your arrival; all of our guests are offered a tour upon arrival – had we known a more thorough look around would have eliminated your frustration, we certainly would have accommodated that. I do hope you will return at some time. If we have that opportunity, I would be happy to personally oversee every aspect of your reservation to ensure the type of experience so many of our guests do enjoy.
Kind regards,
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

On the positive side, the resort and setting are beautiful. We had a Miraval suite which was very spacious and private. The mlain problem was the extremely uneven service and attitude of the employees. I have had more welcoming and pleasant service in much lower-end properties. There was a feeling of inconveniencing everyone and general amateurishness and awkwardness. From the hostess desk in the restaurant to the masseuse who came to greet you, you had no feeling of confidence that it was going to be an easy or pleasant experience. Very little information was imparted to us, from getting a tour of the spa to an understanding of the resort. We spent a lot of time figuring things out ourselves and decoding what the property signs were pointing at. We couldn't operate the gas fireplace, the windows, and when our TV went on full blast at 4:50 am, no one could explain it or guarantee it wouldn't keep happening (fortunately it didn't). I will say the Outdoor Adventure staff were wonderful, and that was the highlight of our 4 day stay.We are local Arizonans and are therefore even more disappointed that we won't be inclined to repeat an experience at a place conveniently located in our neck of the woods.

Room Tip: Nothing is a far walk, but look at the resort map and see if it is located to your areas of interest...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Leslie - Thank you for your kind words regarding the beauty of the Miraval property and the spacious suite you and Susan enjoyed while you were here. I’m saddened to learn that Miraval’s much renowned level of superior customer service so disappointed you. I am extremely proud of the talented team of professionals I lead here; had they known you were experiencing problems locating areas of interest to you, I’m certain they would have walked your personally to those places, while answering any questions you might have had. I’m sorry to know you won’t be returning to Miraval but I thank you for the opportunity of having you visit us regardless.
Kind regards,
Michael

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!