“Lovely Miraval Tucson Az.” 5 of 5 stars

5th Night Free at Miraval
Ranked #11 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
michigan
“Lovely Miraval Tucson Az.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Nothing more beautiful to me than the Miraval Resort,. The familiar, always pleasant staff and the superb cuisine only get better. Even though they are completely redoing the spa treatment area, it is still lovely to have services performed where the casitas usually are. Brent Baum is more than highly recommended, seek him out. LaLa has THE gift for Reiki. Extremely nice girls in the mani/pedi salon. Marion and the girl from New Jersey, I wish I hadn't forgotten her name. So sweet and fun!!!!!! Everyone is. Thank you to the Manager!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the food, and your services in our Spa Village. I'm so proud of our team here and love hearing from guests like you who appreciate the people who make Miraval so special! I look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Perhaps the best thing about Miraval is that it can be whatever kind of experience you want to make it: fitness, pampering, wellness, therapy, relaxation, education, spiritual retreat, whatever you need. And all of it is so very well done. The accommodations are very comfortable, the food is healthy and delicious (yes, they even offer creme brulee!). You can enjoy wonderful wines, unlike other spas. The staff is exceptional: happy to be working at such a wonderful place and it shows. Grounds are beautiful and a sighting of the resident bobcat kittens was a bonus!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Thank you so much for writing! You hit the nail on the head when you say that Miraval "can be whatever kind of experience you want to make it." We always say that our guests can come to Miraval and just relax by the pool and do spa, spa and more spa or choose to pack their schedules with hiking, fitness, yoga, wellness lectures, private sessions, and more. You really can make it whatever you need. You point out an interesting distinction that sets Miraval apart from other destination spas in that we offer wine and a full bar. Miraval is all about choice and I'm glad that you appreciated our wine list. Thank you again for writing - we hope to welcome you back to Miraval again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Recently returned from my first trip to miraval. Can't say enough great things about the resort. The classes like skillfully aware, lunch with Anne Parker and yoga were all fabulous. The spa treatments incredible! The hot stone massage is not to be missed. However, my favorite part was participating in the challenges. Swing and a prayer and quantum leap was amazing. Challenge yourself and do what you think you can't and you will not regret it.
My only regret is not staying longer. I felt 3 nights was not enough. I would stay for a minimum of 5 nights if I had known what I do now. This is a great escape and way to recharge. The staff are great, the food was fabulous and I met some wonderful people there. I can't wait to go back again! Special thanks to Donna from spa vacations for organizing the trip and providing all the great recommendations.
Hurray for miraval! You will love it there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Wow! I can hear your enthusiasm through your words - we can't wait to have you back on your next trip! Glad that you enjoyed Swing and a Prayer and Quantum Leap. Our Outdoor Adventure team is truly one-of-a-kind, aren't they? It sounds like you were able to try many different types of activities and classes which is wonderful and I don't blame you for wanting to extend your trip - there's just so much to do here and we're always adding new programming so even our guests who have been to Miraval every year find something new and exciting to try each time. Thank you for sharing about your experience and I hope to see you on your return visit!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Traveled with a friend of mine for a girls weekend getaway over Memorial Day Weekend. This was my 3rd visit to Miraval and I will definitely be returning (hopefully next year for another girls' weekend). Overall, we had a great trip and enjoyed the activities, food, spa and atmosphere. Over the last few years there have been a few changes to Miraval, which some may not like or may think are improvements (to each his own). To my mind, some of the changes weren't my preference while others were improvements but overall nothing was enough to deter me from going and having a great, healthy, relaxing experience in the future.

First, the rooms, restaurant and spa were the same and were of excellent quality. I suppose the spa facility was starting to look a little dated and tired but I understand that they are doing renovations now, which is good. Still, the spa rooms, the locker room, steam room and sauna were all in good condition and very nice. The outdoor treatment rooms are wonderful and I highly recommend at least one outdoor treatment. Room was great and I loved my little outdoor patio - perfect for a cup of tea in the morning. The grounds and landscaping were immaculate. The restaurant was excellent with plenty of food. Some people complain about the portion size but I think it's perfect and you can order as much as you like anyway! You're there to be healthy, not to gorge yourself. True, alcohol prices are very high here. Too high, IMO but that just encourages me to abstain and get into the healthy vibe.

As for some changes...the exercise activities have added some more high intensity, advanced classes, like RIPPED, which is great! While I love relaxing to yoga and doing stretch classes on some days, I previously found most of the exercise classes to not be very challenging so I am glad they added more difficult ones. RIPPED and the bootcamp kicked my butt in a good way.

The biggest change was the clientele and the vibe. Over the past 2 years I have noticed more and more couples visiting whereas my first year it was more women traveling alone or with small groups of other female friends. This past spring we saw a new phenomenom - single men on the prowl. We encountered 3 different young, single men who were obviously looking for female companionship and were liking their odds of the high female to male ratio. They were certainly enjoying the communal table every night. Didn't really bother me and my girlfriend and I had some good laughs observing all of this but be aware that some desperate guys have picked up on this place. I'm sure it varies from week to week but overall though, definitely an increase in couples and single men. We also noticed a few large groups of women that were more there to party than to get in touch with their chi or anything. Several of them were getting their drink on and being very loud by the pool or at dinner. To each his own but I prefer the more serene atmosphere I experienced previously. Again, this may have been b/c I was visiting on a holiday weekend and will take that into consideration when booking my next visit.

Spa treatments were great and I had no complaints. I had an excellent Thai massage, a fantastic hot stone massage and a wonderful outdoor treatment body scrub (sweet slumber). Each therapist was professional, polite, listened to me and did a great job.

No issues with service anywhere except a minor glitch on the last day. We each requested a box lunch since we were leaving for the airport around 11am. When we checked out, no one said anything to us about it nor did the driver. We assumed they were in the van. After we left, we asked about it and the driver told us we were supposed to pick them up from a certain area (Palm Court) before we left. Wish someone had told us this before or mentioned it before we left! Not a huge deal but we were looking forward to our healthy wraps and instead ended up eating gross airport food.

Long story short - I think Miraval is beautiful, has a wonderful spa, great staff, excellent rooms, grounds and food and is worth every penny. Probably thanks to the Big O (Oprah), this place has become quite popular and is attracting a different clientele than it was previously. I just try to steer clear of some of those people when visiting. In fact, next time I may look into the more expensive yet private Catalina rooms. The new influx is probably good for their business and I hope they will parlay that into updating the spa and fitness equipment for the rest of us!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for writing and thank you for coming back to Miraval year after year! On your next visit, you will become part of our Authentic Circle loyalty program. Very exciting! I'm glad you enjoyed your room and private patio. I'm glad you enjoyed our new RIPPED fitness class. We added that advanced level class in direct response to feedback from our guests who were looking for more high intensity classes. Glad to hear that you enjoyed all your spa treatments and therapists. I love our team here! And yes, next time you return to Miraval, I have a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised with the spa facilities.

Interesting to hear your thoughts about the change in clientele. We are glad to share the Miraval experience with a broad range of guests. We welcome singles, couples, men, women's groups, corporate groups, etc. and believe that our mindfulness philosophy, team of specialists, and wellness programming can benefit everyone.

Thank you again for writing. We look forward to having you back at Miraval next year!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This place is beautiful and the perfect place for reflection. The spinning instructor told me she believes there’s something in the desert air out there that’s magical. That may be true; I’m not sure. In any case, my stay was wonderful. The classes were all great, and there was such a wide selection. The only downside to the classes was that you had to sign up early for those, as they could fill up fast (however, many people do cancel, so if you’re an “alternate” you may end up getting a spot anyway).

The food was delicious. The portions are ridiculously tiny, but everything tasted wonderful. Plan on smuggling in some food in your suitcase, because there’s nothing to eat otherwise if you get hungry. The smoothee/fruit bar closes in the early afternoons. As this was my first spa, I didn’t realize that “no eating” was part of the whole spa experience, but now I know.

The spa treatments were also great. I had a regular Swedish massage on all the days I was there from Eric, who was fantastic.

I traveled alone, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were others like me who traveled alone. We kept seeing each other at the restaurants and nodding hello. It was nice to know that others were there, too, for whatever reasons. I finally connected with one woman whose story is similar to mine in a drumming class on the last day. That’s what's neat about this place – you can connect as little or as much as you want.

As for the rooms, no complaints there, either. The bed was so comfortable and really tied in with the whole peaceful atmosphere there. On the whole, I recommend this place wholeheartedly if you need some quiet reflection time. It’s beautiful and peaceful.

Things I wish I had known before I went? As mentioned, signing up for activities earlier, and the food thing—I would have packed a couple of snacks in my bag, no joke. I also wish I had known about the no cell phone policy. The cell phone reception was also terrible there. Otherwise, it was a great time and I wish I were back there now staring at the mountains as I waited to be called in for my massage.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that I did not pay for this trip - it was paid for by a very, very kind and generous relative who wanted me to have a weekend away to myself. I am not sure what the total bill was, but I assume it was not cheap. Therefore, if you are considering Miraval and are paying for this yourself, I would definitely consider other places out there (I’ve heard great things about Canyon Ranch, for instance). However, like I said, I really enjoyed my time there and thought it really was a special place.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your stay. I'm sorry to hear that you sometimes found classes difficult to get into. I agree with your recommendation to show up to the program or class even if you are on the waiting list as spaces do become available.

Glad you enjoyed the food - our chefs do an amazing job of creating healthy dishes without sacrificing robust flavor profiles. It's true that the portions are smaller than what you find in a typical American restaurant; however, Miraval is about personal choice and there are no limits to how much you can order while dining in our restaurant. As an all-inclusive experience, meals, snacks, and non-alcoholic beverages are included in your stay and we make sure to have various options available throughout the day in addition to the Cactus Flower Restaurant including Palm Court (Smoothie/ Coffee Bar), Brave Bill Lounge (afternoon hors d'eouvres), the all new Del Oro Cantina (daily sushi and chef's specials), Oasis Pool Bar (healthy pub fare and drinks), and a Room Service Menu until 10pm.

I'm glad that you found Miraval the relaxing haven you needed and it's great to hear that you connected with fellow guests. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope to see you back at Miraval soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

This was our fifth time at Miraval and each time it gets even better. The staff are just great particularly in the activites centre where they all really care about what they do and are totally concerned to make it a great experience for you. The thing that draws me back to Miraval is that when I leave - which is always too soon- I dont just feel better physically but mentally I feel totally positive and focussed. I guess this is what the mindfullness at Miraval does and what makes it life changing. I notice someone commented about the spa being redone but I thought the village they have created while this happens was fine and if you had never been before you would probably think it was perfect.In fact it means the treatment rooms are much bigger than previously. We travel to Miraval all the way from the UK and I think the fact that we now want to go again indicates what a great place this is.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thank you for being such loyal guests and for traveling across the Atlantic to visit us! It's wonderful to hear that you embrace the mindfulness philosophy that governs everything we do here at Miraval. It's also great to hear that you had such a positive experience in our spa village - we took extra care when designing the new space and our world-class team of therapists and aestheticians are loving the new space. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

My daughter is moving to Italy so I thought it would be great to take her and her sister to Miraval for a night to relax and enjoy each others company. Boy, do we wish we would have stayed longer! It was so much fun and so much MORE than we expected! I loved the fact that all the meals, snacks and activities are included in one per person price! Our package even included a credit for spa services! It was amazing and we'll be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!