“Very relaxing...memorable...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Canyon Ranch in Tucson

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucson
Canyon Ranch in Tucson
Ranked #2 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Los Angeles, California
“Very relaxing...memorable...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

As a solo traveler, my room was much smaller than I anticipated. I wasn't aware that solo travelers did not get a regular room, but a smaller one with a queen size bed. Aside from that, the property is very serene and the staff is endlessly helpful.

I was picked up from the airport by their driver, escorted to my room, booked my services and headed into a yoga class.

The food here is exquisite. I was perfectly comfortable traveling here alone - I actually had a better experience coming here alone than the last time when I came with 2 friends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I stayed here with family for a few nights as part of a longer trip to Arizona. We didn't come for the wellness part of it, but just to relax in a beautiful setting with lots of opportunities for active adventures. First of all, the property is gorgeous. The rooms are spacious and clean, pools nicely landscaped and the gym/spa perfectly laid out. We took a bunch of the fitness classes and loved them. Neither my sister nor I are big class people, but found with one small exception, that the instructors were really good and the classes decently challenging. We took a water aerobics class mostly as a joke, but when it turned out we were the only ones there it ended up being a personal (and very hard!) workout. We only had the opportunity to do one hike, but wished we could've done more. Again, the leaders were great and really good about accommodating slower and faster hikers in one group. We came prepared with our own packs only to find that they had backpacks ready to go for everyone with delicious snacks and full water bottles. All of which brings me to the food: yes, it's healthy, but it's seriously delicious. Portion sizes are perfect, but you can always order more if you're still hungry. Snacks and fresh fruit are available during the day along with tea/coffee/juice and an all-natural sports drink. It may be a spa geared towards weight loss, but you won't go hungry even if you're super active. Overall loved our stay and would come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

great services food room was perrfect!! bed do very comfortable scenery and lanscaping incredibele. Wouls not go back in Jun e weatherr is too hot!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010 via mobile

The only bad thing I have to say about Canyon Ranch is that, more than two months later, I still don't have receipts to turn into my insurance company for medical tests and consultations I had while there. Otherwise, Canyon Ranch is pretty much like going to heaven early and the cost reflects it at roughly $1,000 a night, sublime healthy gourmet 3 meals included. This, friendly can-do staff operates at peak efficiency and competence to give you a new lease on life for a weekend or a week or however long you might want to stay. Expect the best of everything -- the best health and physical therapists, the best trainers, the best doctors, the best -- if you're interested -- clairvoyants and shamanic healers. Even the chiropractors have PhDs (one dispatched a chronic back problem with ease). The rooms are great, as is the desert landscape. They have a fabulous weight loss program. After a week, I wanted to live there. I love this place! Now if I could just get them to send me my medical receipts!

• Stayed June 2010
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

I was at Canyon Ranch for the 3rd time, May 27-31. After coming from a busy Miraval (see my review on Miraval as well), I was a little worried that being there over a holiday weekend would prove to be a crowded and frustrating endeavour. I was wrong!

Since my last visit about 5 years ago, the rooms have been remodeled and they are much nicer now. My room was comfortable and I was equally happy with what I had experienced at Miraval as far as rooms.

The setting and the landscaping aren't quite as beautiful as Miraval, I missed having the smoothie/latte/juice bar and the I loved the outdoor dining and think the food was a little better at Miraval (though not much), but wait...

I came to Canyon Ranch for the whole experience. I am a suburban mom, but I also like to think of myself as an athlete and I wanted to work out hard, enjoy the sun on my Seattle-rainsoaked skin, and then enjoy great spa treatments.

At Canyon Ranch, there are 2-4 fitness classes an hour and only once did I see a class have more people than could take the class (TRX) and in this case they repeated the class again the next hour. Instead of the one instructor you have at Miraval, you had 2-3 instructors to lead and assist. There are so many options for those who normally lead sedentary lives to those who are marathoners and triatheletes. The personal attention is unbeatable! Cameron, Garrett and Sacha were my favorite instructors.

I went on one level 4 hike and one Sabino Canyon Bike ride. Both were fun and I only signed up the day before and had no trouble getting in.

Dining was easy and you could make reservations for dinner for your entire stay without difficulty. The food is very good and the menu repeats every 7 days.

The spa here is amazing and you could spend hours here enjoying the jacuzzis, cold dip, inhalation steam room, sauna, quiet room with cucumbers over your eyes, etc without spending money on treatments. you are given a locker to use throughout your stay and it doesn't require carrying around a key. My spa treatments were wonderful! I loved Shane best for deep tissue massage, Amanda for my facial and I always love the Ashiatsu (barefoot massage). I also tried the connective tissue rebalancing which was very different, but I think it was very helpful. It was a lot easier to add spa treatments here compared to Miraval.

While I don't take advantage of the medical or psychosocial practioners, Canyon Ranch would be a great place to get help with starting a weight loss program or deal with various issues.

Only once, at the L pool did I have any challenge to get a chaise lounge one day. Usually getting a spot at the pool was easy.

You cannot beat the customer service and ratio of staff to guests here. It is a little more expensive than Miraval, but worth it especially if you have fitness as one of the major things you want in a destination spa experience.

I dream of coming back, hopefully in a year instead of 5! Also, I booked through Donna at www.spa-vacation-experts.com and she was able to get me better rates at Miraval and Canyon Ranch than I was getting directly. She was very helpful in choosing which spas would best fit me based on my desires. I would use her again. Also, you can save a lot of money if you can go as a group to either place.

Lastly, my cell phone worked here, which made it easier to contact home which was very nice (it didn't have reception at Miraval).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

This was my first trip to Canyon Ranch after hearing for years how great this place is. Of course I had to wait until I moved outside of the US to go! I am a pretty realistic ex-New Yorker so I tried not to have high expectations or be influenced to much by hearsay.

After a 14 hour trip to LA and another 1.5 hours to Tuscon, I was greeted by a friendly Canyon Ranch staff member, and from there is was pampering all the way. As a solo traveler, I was never made to feel alone or awkward by the staff there. In fact, many went above and beyond to settle me in- I got a personal tour of the place and my program advisor called on my arrival to make sure I was ok. I cannot say how warm, friendly yet professional the staff are. I tried Zumba, Wallyball, the underwater treadmill. I danced, hiked, took a birding tour around the ranch, beaded and painted. I listened to great lectures on the local arts and others on spirituality. You can try alot of new things here by the sheer number of different classes to take.

The one-on-one sessions are also spectacular. I never waited long for my massages or for appointments at the life enhancement center. You get the sense that the staff here are happy and dedicated to their jobs. I have never been to a place were I was treated so courtesously. Even the fellow guests were nice.

The food is as fresh and delicious as can be. However, I can see why some people think the portions are small. But if you're still hungry, you can always order more.

Overall, I love the place! I travel quite a bit and I can say there is no better place to go to (other than home) after a 15.5 hour trip across oceans and time zones! Definitely returning. Some may find it a tad expensive, and certainly I thought it was pricey but after having experienced the Ranch, its worth every penny and more!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

This cottages are small, dark, old and musty, it reminded me of an old cabin that was just opened for summer. The food is terrible! You have very small portions of low quality food. It seems that Canyon Ranch is living off its name from a prior period when it led this industry. I guess that the pending financial collapse of the Miami facility and real estate are probably to blame. They should focus on their core competency (Spa's) and not real estate. I guess that pure greed ruins even the best ideas.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Canyon Ranch in Tucson? Share your experiences!