“Pampered!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canyon Ranch in Tucson

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucson
Canyon Ranch in Tucson
Ranked #2 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Portland OR
“Pampered!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

This was my third stay at CR, and the team there still exceeds my expectations. The staff is friendly and helpful; the rooms are spacious and peaceful; and it's simply an easy vacation to plan and enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask, when you make your reservations for proximity to the services you'll be utilizing; but ther...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Mdoneff, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our talented staff -- it is great to know that we are exceeding your expectations time after time!

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011 via mobile

I came with my mom as a graduation present, and we had a great time.

Pros: Rooms are huge and nice
All-inclusive rate
Fun complimentary activities like hiking and biking
High ropes course (must try)
Healthy food that tastes good
Nice employees (for the most part)
Beautiful location (Tucson is amazing)
Gorgeous weather

Cons: Can get busy and disorganized
Some of the fitness instructors can be pushy
They forgot to get our luggage out of the room on the last day :-(
The hair salon canceled our appts at the last minute

• Stayed August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit to Canyon Ranch. I apologize for the salon cancellation and any inconvenience it may have caused you. The staff will review the procedure so we might prevent this occurring in the future.

Our all-inclusive approach at Canyon Ranch allows our guests to experience new ways to enhance their health and wellness while still enjoying their favorite fitness, relaxation or spa choices. Canyon Ranch is so lucky to have some of Arizona’s most beautiful “natural wonders” in our backyard and we are thrilled that our guests can enjoy them while hiking and biking.
Congratulations on your graduation!

Fontvieille, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I have been here for 11 days of a 3 week stay. I'm not going to rave like everyone else about how exceptional it is - you've seen all that on many reviews. I am going to respond to some of the negative comments. Firstly please note that all the negative reviews date back a while - obviously someone has been reacting to all comments and shaking up the system.

Food and Restaurant: portions aren't small, they are what we SHOULD be eating (compared to gross oversized US portions). Plus, you can order as much as you want and seconds/thirds/whatever. Noone is restricting your intake in anyway. There is a huge choice and they are totally flexible about changing things. The café also has great food and its nice to be able to sit outside. The restaurant is a little on the dark side for my taste as lets face it - this isn't a romantic spot, and I am baffled at why there are quite so many staff. 3 at the entrance, a selection to take you to your table, and then a whole load of different ones to take your order. But they are all pleasant and friendly and if Canyon Ranch wants to be ineffective by having too many staff, then thats their prerogative.

The daily hikes are not in suburban tucson, they are in beautiful parks and canyons with the wonderful added touch of cool towels at the end. The morning walks are in the neighbourhood, which must be the quietest in America. I think I've seen one car cross our path on a morning walk since I got here. Apart from that, just the odd resident walking a dog.

Rooms - well I can only comment on mine, but it was large and sparkling at all times - the maids do a fabulous service. The beds are super comfortable which you need with the aching limbs after a day full of exercise. True that they are dark, but given the temperatures outside, I am sure there is a logic there. It is nice to come back to a chilled room after the Arizona heat although I do agree that the AC wall units are unexpected and a little noisy but once I found the optimum regulation to not blast cold air on me in bed, then it worked just fine.

Spa services - I have been to well over a dozen spas worldwide from basic in Thailand to luxury in Italy/Switzerland/Germany/Austria. I can honestly say the massages here are some of the best I've ever had and the massage tables are just divine - soft and silky - no towel marks on your forehead here. Noone pushed me to have treatments, if I said nothing, the massage was in silence, if I chatted, they chatted back. All very pleasant. No its not cheap, but if you look around at the number of staff, quality of facilities and level of treatment, you get what you pay for. I did feel that the program managers could have paid more attention to advising you because the range of services is huge and confusing, especially for someone on a long stay, but that was rectified. Also, I didn't complain, so how were they to know - I am sure had I just asked to see someone, I would have been seen to straight away.

Exercise classes - I am not an exercise fan, in fact I am pretty grumpy about it. So for the staff here to make me enjoy a class - its somewhat of a challenge. But they did - the classes are full of everyone from young to old, the gym junkies to the stiff old women dragged along by their kids as a 'treat'. But everyone was made to feel comfortable, all classes had a teacher and a helper to give advice, alternatives etc.... The teachers range from the young and hot to the older wiser ones. A true mélange of styles and characters. Even after 11 days I have yet to find a class predictable.

Overall - yes the décor is a little dated but then so are most of the clients ;-), and its a spa in Tucson not a boutique hotel in Miami so lets get our expectations real. The staff are exceptional and the ones I spoke to have been here for years (10-25 !) so they must treat them right which is always a good sign. It is expensive but I believe justifiably so given the attention to detail, the choice and array of activities and the excellent state of the are facilities. The place is spotless, there is never a lack of towels anywhere - to the point of being ridiculous - (i saw one woman take 7 towels to use on her exercise bike and trust me she wasn't sweating). There is suncreen by the pool, everything you could wish for in the changing rooms, umbrellas all over the place in case of a quick arizona downpour. One of the reception staff even nipped to walgreens to get me some ointment for my blisters that one of the personal trainers recommended. Now THAT is customer service.

If only it wasn't so far away!

Room Tip: Book through Donna at spa vacation experts - she gets you a good deal and an upgrade if possible
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband's parents started going to Canyon Ranch 30 years ago, and my husband and I started going 18 years ago. Now that our children are old enough (teenagers), they came with us this year.

The Ranch has morphed over the years, and even as it changes, it succeeds in setting the bar for all other spas. For the Ranch, relaxation includes movement, exploration, insight, connection...this is an active and committed place.

The food is wonderful, the rooms private, the staff professional and warm, the exercise opportunities unlimited, and the spa services comprehensive. We even get our annual physicals here.

You want to hike? The Ranch has great hikes. Bike? Sure. Walk? How far? Dance? Then take the class with the live band, or the drummers. Like tennis? Then play. There's even a wallyball class and several games a day. New ways of looking at exercise get tried here. And the instructors range from petite and lean to full yet fit.

Everyone fits in here. Men and women of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels. There are spiritual and art opportunities as well as physical ones.

Thank you Mel and Enid for persisting in your dream. It's sparked dreams in many of your guests.

Room Tip: We like the rooms near the spa.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Mdoneff, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thank you for you kind words and we are very pleased that health and wellness has been a family goal for 30 years! Health and wellness is a dream we all share for our loved ones and Canyon Ranch offers a vacation with choices that do entertain and challenge all ages, levels and interests. On behalf of Mel, Enid and our amazing staff we look forward to seeing the entire family again very soon.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This was my second stay at Canyon Ranch, but the first with my husband. I recommend a whole week to really make a difference, but even a few days can jump start a healthy redirection of your life. What I like about Canyon Ranch is they focus on a lifestyle improvement and healthy living for the long term, and not just the short time you're there. The exercise physiologists are just about the best thing there, because they can really evaluate many aspects of your posture, gait, function, and give you a simple plan that can significantly improve pain and aches that have started for me. The food, classes, Spa, and lectures are exceptional. I even liked being there in the summer. I was worried it would be too hot, but it wasn't too bad, since it was dry. I didn't hike this time because I wasn't motivated to go at 545am! We had a few rain showers in the afternoon, but all in all a fabulous trip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Mdoneff, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for returning with your husband and experiencing Canyon Ranch in Tucson during the summer months. We are glad you were able to stay for seven nights and truly immerse yourself in all of our wonderful offerings. We will pass on your kind words to our exercise physiology team. They are top notch and pride themselves on meeting the needs of any guest’s exercise goals.

We hope to see you and your husband very soon.
Hartwell, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

The philosophy of Canyon Ranch is heal the mind, body and spirit. After spending 7 days in this lovely setting, I am totoally renewed. Rates are cheaper in the summer because of the heat, but as most activities are inside, the heat doesn't really bother this Georgia girl. The staff is most attentive and the food is very good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your positive comments. Yes, Canyon Ranch takes a fully integrative approach to wellness, realizing that mind, body and spirit all play an equal role in achieving optimal wellness.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I took the LEC week and it was amazing. The people I met, the staff, the food, ...there wasn't a negative comment I could make. It was also Chef's week and I got to enjoy various cooking demo's and food. The food is served in portion control amt (after all it is a health & wellness place) but you are free to order as many portions as you want. Everyone from the cleaning & grounds crew to management was extremely warm & friendly. You don't have to lift a finger to do any work (just workouts) once you arrive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
The Life Enhancement Program has been called “the heart of Canyon Ranch” as the program incorporates all the expertise of our highly-qualified practitioners to assist a guest looking to transform his or her life with specific goals in mind. Congratulations on making the choice of health and wellness for your future. Thank you for the enthusiastic comments about Canyon Ranch Cooks -- we will pass your compliments to our culinary staff.

Kyle Treat

Been to Canyon Ranch in Tucson? Share your experiences!