“Beautifully restored Mission” 4 of 5 stars

Visit Mission San Xavier del Bac like an insider
Top Rated
$150*
and up
Day trip to Tombstone Arizona and San Xavier...
Ranked #6 of 268 things to do in Tucson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in the 1700s, this recently restored white adobe church, representing a wonderful example of Spanish colonial architecture, is beautiful inside and out, with colorful frescoes, sculptures and carvings.
Tucson, AZ
4 attraction reviews
“Beautifully restored Mission”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I took out of town guests to the Mission. It had been many years since I visited the site. I was stunned at the beauty of the old church after the restoration work. ALso, a very helpful nun gave me some information about the church and I even stood in line to get a close look at St. Francis statue. Unfortunately I only saw the museum and video of the restoration of the church after I visited the church. When I tried to go back inside there was a Mass in progress. I was disappointed I was not able to see the church again looking for the details I learned in the video. So, I would higly recommend that a visit start with the museum and video about the restoration as it would enhance the visit to the church itself. The grounds are also interesting with all the different cactus.The gift shop had nice items at a fairly reasonable price.

Visited November 2013

3 attraction reviews
“White Dove of the Desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

As a native of Tucson approaching 60 years, I have visited San Xavier many times over the years. The mission has never ceased to inspire me both as a holy place and a beautiful structure.
The care which was taken to restore those parts of the mission that had deteriorated with time is astounding. You can feel the history in the walls and in the sanctuary.
There are few things more beautiful than San Xavier at sunset, especially after a summer monsoon rain.
A trip to San Xavier should be a must to any first time visit to Tucson.

Visited December 2012
19 attraction reviews
“Possibily the Top Site in town!?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Ansel Adams made this church famous in his BW photography! What more needs to be said?

We always take out-of-town friends for a short visit...and maybe have them try some Indian fried bread. Otherwise, we visit once a month to light a candle of thanks and/or remembrance.

Visited November 2013
11 attraction reviews
“I never tire of this mission”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

My parents moved to Tucson in 1942 because my brother had lung problems. Soon after they arrived, my mother took both of my brothers to San Xavier, and were given a tour by a priest who gave my brother his best hopes for a recovery as well a history of the mission. I never tire of visiting San Xavier. Its architecture is remarkable. It is a beautiful place.

Visited December 2012
Tucson Az
4 attraction reviews
“A Different Mission Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This mission is unlike the usual southwestern/California mission experience. The unique blend of Native American and Spanish Colonial architecture, art and artifacts located on native lands is spectacular. It is a working church, continually being restored using old methods. Well worth the short trip south of Tucson, even if you are not religious.

Visited April 2013