“Wonderful Place to visit for a day” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 268 things to do in Tucson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Horseback riding, Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Tucson is Where the Spirit of the Old West Comes Alive! In addition to the old movie sets and memorabilia of its rich Western film history, Old Tucson is now the premier attraction in the Southwest to experience what life in the Old West was really like. Heritage Square contains 12 new movie quality sets and 3 new streets in the "town square." The design of the new building sets was led by Gene Rudolf a credited Art Director for many movies including Young Guns II, The Great Gatsby, and many more. Be sure to visit the Native American Village and take in the entertaining and educational Living History Programs. Stroll down the historic streets and learn about the perils of cross-country travel via stagecoach, the demands of life as a sheriff in a Wild West town, and other topics discussed throughout the town. Step back in time to the atmosphere of a western town circa 1853 to 1912. Old Tucson has adopted a new logo to represent its expanded focus on Old West history, heritage, and culture in addition to its storied film history and world-famous entertainment. This broadening of scope is represented by the iconic wagon wheel, symbolic of the great westward movement of settlers to the southwest in the 1800s by wagon train. The seven spokes of the wheel represent the strong cultural and historic groups that made significant contributions to Tucson's rich heritage: Native Americans, Spanish Colonials, Mexicans, Western Cowboys, Ranchers, Chinese, and African-Americans. The seven spokes join at the wheel's hub (the location of the Old Tucson name), representing the synergistic joining of cultures and heritages at Old Tucson for a living western experience found nowhere else. Moving us toward the future, the wagon wheel reminds us to honor and celebrate our history, heritage, and diverse cultures. Old Tucson - Where the Spirit of the Old West Comes Alive!
Richfield, Pa.
8 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Place to visit for a day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a must see for anyone who grew up loving the old western TV shows and movies of that era, (40's, 50's and 60's) What a pleasure to see some familiar buildings and scenery from those old shows! Then to just think of the people who worked those dusty streets and old buildings creating the TV shows and western movies that we loved-what great memories! There are various shows scattered through out the day, and included in the admission price. So if at all possible, plan to stay for much of the day to take it all in! But even a few hours here is worth the admission price, if you can't spend the whole day. This was much more realistic and historical than Tombstone...it definately gets high marks from me and my husband!

Milwaukie, Oregon
44 attraction reviews
“Old West Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Be sure to catch the stunt action show, done only once a day, but worth the price of admission on it's own. Great action and humor, and makes other shootouts pale. Can Can show was good, Was somewhat dead since we visited on a Thursday in late April.

London, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
“Fabulous day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

After the disappointment of Tombstone which I found a bit tacky, I was delighted to visit Old Tucson Studios. The history isnt quite as long as Tombstone's but it is authentically 20th century film making history and I loved it.

The walking tour was a great introduction and the guide (cant remember his name) explained everything clearly and answered all questions well and patiently. The shows I saw (in the Saloon, in the street - rope skills and medicine show, and the stunt show) were all extremely professional and entertaining. I later bumped into the dancers from the saloon show on the street and they were more than happy to pose for a photo with me and were very charming.

I spent many hours just wandering around the site and taking in the atmosphere. Its a very pretty location as well, overlooked by a scenic mountain (and the drive up from Tucson on a winding mountainous road was a thrill in itself).

I am 60 rather than 12 as in some other reviews and I was on my own pending my family joining ma later in my holiday. But this was one attraction I would not have missed - it was only sad they could not be with me as they would have loved it too. It really brought alive all those westerns I grew up with.

I would heartily recomment this as a day out for all ages. The streets are dusty so sensible footwear is a must. One more thing - I had an ice cream which was not only exceptional value but was delicious as well.

Visited March 2013
Tucson, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
“Fun day and learned a lot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had a great day at Old Tucson. The town is great! The walking tour is a must. Jeff does a wonderful job telling you the history of the town, sets and movies. The John Wayne video is also very good. The museum is small but fun and a must is get your old time cowboy picture taken.

Great place to take guests.

Virginia Beach, VA
10 attraction reviews
“Interesting and Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We came out to Old Tucson in the afternoon and didn't have as much time as we would have liked but it's a really cool place if you like the wild west or old western movies. The live performances are fun and town as like taking a stepping back in time. They have a few rides like a stagecoach, antique cars, a carousel, and the iron door mine. Our son really enjoyed the mine and my wife & I enjoyed seeing the movie history and the whole western experience. Very Fun!

Visited April 2013

Been to Old Tucson? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Old Tucson, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.