“it was one of the best” 5 of 5 stars

Water Street, Lubec, ME
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 13 restaurants in Lubec
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: New, wonderful atmosphere, extensive menu, watch seals as you dine
Portland, Maine
“it was one of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

i thought that the food was very good and the waitstaff was very nice.. it was a very cozy and nice place to eat..

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Winterport, Maine
“Disappointing after initial visits”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

We were delighted and encouraged to find two new choices for dinner this summer in downtown Lubec. We've owned property there for a number of years and eagerly tried out Frank's one warm evening.
Everything was terrific, and we told anyone who would listen for the next several weeks how great it was and encouraged them to try it out.
We returned to try other dishes on another occasion and were still singing their praises. The service was warm, friendly and efficient. Food was creative and very tasty.
The third time we attempted to eat there with friends they were closed, and we were sorely disappointed. Sulkily so, in fact.
So it was with great good cheer and excitement that we arrived last Sunday evening to find them not only open but with just five other diners in place. There was much traffic downtown; so that we had been anxious that we should have made a reservation. Turns out it was not Frank's which was causing the congestion.
We had called in advance to see how long they were open that evening. "Eight", they said. Since we arrived about 6:50, the service and experience we had was not due to our lateness.
It took an unusually long time for a waitress to appear and offer us a table.
On observing the wine we had brought along she disappeared to fetch some glasses. She never inquired as to whether or not we wanted water or any other beverages.
She brought menus and disappeared again. I'd say her attitude the entire evening was one of sullen detachment. We were tired and hungry and very much looking forward to a great evening. Everything took an e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y long time to occur. The salads were uninspired heaps of lettuce with a plastic cup of dressing on the side much like one would find on a paper plate at a fish shack takeout. The entrees were without any thought of presentation. My NY strip "au blu" arrived without the "au blu" or anything else except a clump of broccoli right out of the steamer, sans butter or any other seasoning, along with another plastic cup, this one containing a dollop, perhaps two tablespoons, of bland cole slaw. She asked my husband if he wanted crackers with his soup but didn't inquire if anyone else did. No bread of any sort ever appeared until late in the meal when I asked if we might have some. We were nearly finished all our food when it finally arrived along with the butter I'd asked for for the broccoli (which was, by that time, cold) and a glass of water. Only because I asked for it did I receive water. No one else got any.
I mentioned to the waitress that the entree she'd brought was not what I'd ordered. She rolled her eyes and walked away. When my husband told the cashier I'd not gotten what I'd ordered she said "Well, she should have said something earlier." Granted, this was so, but I had mentioned it to the waitress, just not forcefully enough, I guess. When one is quite hungry and the entree is a dish you've not ordered previously, it sometimes takes a few bites to realize it isn't what you ordered. Granted, also, when the check arrived, we were charged for the entree she had brought rather than the one I'd ordered.
This was not a fun evening. This is not a fish shack. It's a medium priced, for Maine, restaurant with entrees in the $9-20 range. If we had had this experience on our first visit, you can bet we would not have returned. An "off" evening? Perhaps, but the lack of concern on the part of the staff was disappointing and disturbing. There was absolutely no effort on their part to make things right or to see that we had a positive experience and went away feeling good about the evening. We had so wanted this place to succeed and were looking forward to many, many pleasant times there. It should be noted too, that when the five diners who were there when we arrived had gone, only two others came in after we did, and they were finished and gone before we were.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Campobello Island, Canada
“cozy & delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

my favorite place to eat in town! cozy and friendly atmosphere...and the food is soo good...and you always get plenty for your money

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City, Kansas
“Good food, server had "attitude".”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

We ordered some "fried Oreos" on a whim and the server brought out a basket of Fried Pickles. I very nicely told her that I had ordered the fried Oreos and she proceeded to argue with me (I had 2 oher witnesses at my table). She took the basket back to the kitchen and very loudly informed the cook that she had a "complainer" out there that had changed the order. Not true. The rest of the meal she never checked on us and kept giving us angry looks.
The haddock chowder was excellent alongside a small salad, but the server never brought the bread that was supposed to be part of the meal. My spouse had the shrimp basket and it was average. I'm being kind by giving them 3 stars on this review, but if they are going to be successful, the wait staff needs serious attitude adjustment.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Not a good experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Had dinner for four out on the back deck. Food was OK, not particularly great, but not terrible. View is nice of the seals and eagles in the passage. There were a number of pretty serious service problems, but the unforgivable thing was what happened when they seriously messed up one of the orders. We weren't unreasonable, we just asked for it to be corrected. The response was anger, defensiveness, and being treated with a very bad attitude from the owner (who took over our service) the rest of the meal.

We are not difficult restaurant people -- this is not the review by someone who cannot be pleased and has unreasonable expectations. This is a case of restaurant incapable of acknowledging a mistake and fixing it with grace. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere