“Solid choice for business travel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Providence Biltmore Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Providence Biltmore Hotel to your Saves list
The Providence Biltmore Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Dorrance Street, Kennedy Plaza, Providence, RI 02903 (Downtown Providence)   |
Offers & Announcements
Double iPrefer Points
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Solid choice for business travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Providence Biltmore in September 2014 for a business trip. I was trying to choose between this hotel and the Omni because both had good reviews. The Starbucks in the lobby ultimately won me over and after staying in the Omni for one night (the Providence Biltmore didn't have any rooms available for my return trip) I know that I made the right choice.

The valet staff at the Biltmore are exceptional and they are always well staffed so you never have to wait for service. Someone is there to assist you as soon as you pull up or exit the hotel, which makes for a seamless customer experience.

I also appreciated the convenience of the adjoining Starbucks for a quick morning coffee/breakfast or afternoon snack. There's also a Dunkin Donuts just around the corner.

The fitness center does the job and has a few good treadmills, ellipticals, and a weight machine.

The hotel is very old so rooms are a little small and bathrooms don't have a lot of space for toiletries, etc. I thought it added character to the property and didn't mind the smaller room since I was traveling alone for business.

Overall, the Providence Biltmore is a convenient, solid choice for business travel. After comparing it to one night's stay at the Omni hotel I appreciated my Biltmore experience even more.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed in room 841, a park-facing junior king suite. We were greeted by friendly valets and checked in by the kind, professional Samantha and Carrie at the front desk. After a long drive, and a miscommunication about parking (Groupon's fault, not the Biltmore) we were assured that with documentation of the receipt through Groupon that the parking situation would be handled. Although it took a day and a few inquiries, the Biltmore staff did indeed go above and beyond by making this issue a NON issue. We deeply appreciate this, though we feel it's important to remind potential guests that if you have any kind of deal stating that parking is covered, print this documentation out and be sure to bring it along! On to bigger and better praises. Perhaps it was due to the slow time of week, perhaps the windows and rooms are well insulated, but we had a beautifully quiet and peaceful stay and slept very well, despite facing the city construction in monument park, and the smaller park out front. The room was immaculate and it was maintained daily. I love that the beds are made using classic triple sheeting method. The sheets and pillows are extremely comfortable and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. Some recent reviewers mentioned how cold they were, though we found it to be quite comfortable & even took advantage of the A/C which kept our room quite comfy. A small issue with the television was addressed immediately (replaced with a new one!) and they even sent up a printed out guide to programs for the evening. We splurged on room service for breakfast and it was ok, with impeccable service. Though recently renovated, the property still has many if not most of the original features. This is truly a Grande Dame hotel with classically excellent service. It is centrally located, beautifully appointed, and spacious. We explored the second floor/ mezzanine to better view some of the gorgeous architectural details and were excited to have found a large framed collections of hotel memorabilia.
I'd like to add that I was a little concerned after reading another review reporting this hotel as haunted... I can assure you after my personal experience that if the Biltmore is haunted, it's not the 8th floor. Regarding the previous reviewer who stayed in room 829 and got spooked- that room is directly facing the elevator. When we were waiting for the elevator, a strange sound that abruptly stopped happened as well- but it was a cable or something that came directly from that elevator or door. All in all the room was comfortable, the building and lobby gorgeous, and our stay was comfortable and relaxing. If the junior king suite was this impressive, I can only imagine the next few levels up... maybe next time!

Room Tip: 841 is a spacious junior suite far from the elevators and toward the end of a hall. Our sleep qualit...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We have visited Providence many times over the last few years (child goes to college in Providence) and have stayed always stayed at the Omni and Hampton Inn (which were fine), but we decided to try the Biltmore and will never stay anyplace else, for now on! The rate was amazing (state which university your child goes to and that you are the parent) and the room unbelievable! We had a room on the 14th floor (great views) and two king size beds. The room was more like a suite with two TV's, free internet, a living room area, huge closet and VERY clean.
The only downside was that the room was very cold (they only have air conditioning in the summer and only heat in the winter.. we were there in Sept, so they still only had air.. they stated since they were an older hotel, that that was the way it was). However, they solved our problem by bringing us a space heater and it certainly warmed up the room. Also, the bedding on the hotel was thin. They could have had comforters or thicker bedding to keep us warm.
Also, the parking was very high in price, at $28 per day. But, you can come and go as you please and the service was always very friendly.
The front desk staff (especially, the female, Jamson, was so nice, professional, helpful and friendly).
The Hotel was in a great location, we could walk to anywhere we wanted to go.. Brown University, the mall, downtown, etc.
Overall an amazing stay and we will be back.

Room Tip: High floor, ask for university rate.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Clean room, nice staff, older Hotel but kept nice and clean. Breakfast & Luncheons went well, very good and plentiful. Not much time for sightseeing, but numerous taverns & restaurants very close by, to grab evening bites.

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Biltmore is a beautiful historic hotel in a great location, steps from the RI Convention Center and many great restaurants - including The Capital Grille - directly across the park from the front door - on the left side of Union Station (down the steps). However, it is not a great value due to multiple 'issues'.
First - our reservation was a mess. They had us arriving a day later - then found that our reservation was split into two separate reservations - the first in someone else's name (the secretary who placed our reservation). Fortunately we had the confirmation number and the email confirming..... Later we found out others in our group had identical issues on arrival. Then - we received a (separate) bill for the first night - - and it had been charged to our personal credit card (required on arrival) - despite the fact the reservation(s) for everyone traveling in our group - were to be paid by the same company card used to make the reservations...so - another round of phone calls back and forth - bills credited back and rebilled....Perhaps the hotel is just not adept at handling arrangements for multiple people in a group.
Second - it was cool (in the 60s) during our visit - and thus our room was frigid. There was no heat. It had not yet been turned on for the winter... It was colder in our room than outside! We had to crawl into bed in the middle of the day - just to stay comfortable. At one point - we saw a group of other guests in the lobby - where they were being given space heaters!
Third - we overheard a conversation involving another guests - asking to be moved as their shower didn't work. They were informed the hotel was sold out - 'and besides, you were upgraded on arrival to a two bedroom suite!' The guest responded: "thank you, but we didn't need two bedrooms - we just need a shower that works."
Fourth - there is a lovely park across the street - with a venue for concerts - thus - there was music from mid afternoon into late evening. If you were outside - in the park - the music and the crowds were fun! The problem was - the music (via huge speakers) was directed toward the hotel - so, as we were in our room, huddled under blankets to keep warm, in the middle of the afternoon between our events or in the evening after returning tired from events - - - we couldn't enjoy the TV except at a crazy volume - as the 'boom boom boom' of base speakers and music was literally pounding off the walls...
Be aware - the rooms are small - as would be expected of an historic hotel or hotels in Europe. The bathroom is very small - but sufficient. There was nearly no place to set toiletries - I kept my makeup and hair supplies, and my husband kept his toiletries, in the bedroom and ran back and forth to the mirror and lighting in the bathroom with each item as needed...
Even the room safe was a challenge - it sits on a high shelf in the closet - you could reach up and put things in -or reach to pull them out, but even for my husband, it was well above head height - so you cannot SEE what you are reaching for - or to confirm you've retrieved all - - without jumping up and down...
All in all - as much as I love old historic properties over new - I cannot say this hotel is a good value.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The whole reason we booked this hotel was for it's location. It was near just about everything that mattered to us. The room was clean and spacey. The bed was quite comfortable and quiet at night. Overall, a great hotel. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed one night at Providence's Biltmore Hotel prior to going to Newport for the Wine and Food Show. I was so impressed with the accommodations and the staff. This is a historic property that has been upgraded with flat screen TVs and iPod docks, etc. The 14th floor room was comfortable and offered a view of Kennedy Plaza that was picturesque. The lobby's grand staircase really set the tone for a wonderful stay. Every staff member I interacted with went out of their way to make sure I was happy. This was my first time in Providence and the concierge offered many great ideas for my dining and entertainment pleasure. My wife was unable to attend, so being alone I was very much aware of the staff's attitude and willingness to go out of their way to assist me in planning. The hotel is centrally located and I was pleasantly surprised by the way the city has integrated old looking new architecture with the original buildings. This is true of the Biltmore as well. I never felt like I was in an old hotel. The elevators for a busy Saturday night/Sunday morning were always prompt. The dining room was pleasantly appointed. I had the feeling of being in a Noir novel set in the 21st century!
Throughout my stay I was impressed by the level of professional courtesy offered from the staff and will definitely be back to Providence and to the Biltmore. Thank you for a wonderful stay in a gorgeous property.

Room Tip: When I stayed there was a performance in the park and the ice rink directly across the street. Go fo...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Jeffrey L, Manager at The Providence Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you kindly for the excellent review! We love to hear detailed accounts from our guests and it is especially nice to hear such positive feedback towards our team. We strive to provide a five star experience to each of our guests so I am very happy to know that you were able to see how much our team cares! Your comments are truly appreciated.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to share your experiences! It sounds like your first trip to Providence was not one to forget! I hope that we can welcome both you and your wife back to the Biltmore very soon.

Have a great weekend!

Jeff Lima
Reservations Manager

Been to The Providence Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!