“Lovely remake of an old fashioned hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Providence Biltmore Hotel

You added The Providence Biltmore Hotel to your Saves list
The Providence Biltmore Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Dorrance Street, Kennedy Plaza, Providence, RI 02903 (Downtown Providence)   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Boston, Massachusetts
“Lovely remake of an old fashioned hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Hotel has been lovingly updated to resemble its glory days of long ago. The details in the room are amazing reproductions from padded bed headboards to other art-deco type of ornaments. Romantic, very clean, nice front desk help

Room Tip: My room looked over a parking lot but the windows could open to let in the fresh Spring air - a plus...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Londonderry, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I don't mind old hotels.... if they have adapted to the times. Biltmore has done nicely in room renovation aspect, but still lack due to minor oversights.

The biggest problem I had was with the ID cards to enter the room. First off, the card reader lever-set on the door was loose, and the door was warped and had too many layers of paint to close on its own. I had to push on the door to exit, and pull on the door to enter(yes Push to exit, because the door didn't close flush...so I had to push to free the latch of friction...). The door would stay open if I didn't forcefully push it closed at night. I'm not picky, so it didn't bother me. What bothered me most was the fact that we stayed for 2 nights and went through 9 ID cards.... they kept getting de-activated, and I'd be standing in front of my door 12 floors up only to have to go all the way back down, because both of my ID cards weren't working! Very frustrating and inexcusable this day in age, never had that problem before, but it happened 9 times at the Biltmore. Front desk staff didn't help either, suggesting I was de-magnetizing the card... "did you place it close to a cell phone or other credit card?" Are you kidding me... I have to separate my ID card with all my other essential items? They lost a point right at that moment for such comments! Like I said, you're an old hotel, but if you're not with the times on BASIC needs, such as room access/security, then you lose favor in my eyes. I've stayed in plenty of old hotels, some a lot older than the Biltmore, and they've all had ID room cards, and I've never had a problem, so no excuse as far as I'm concerned!

Pros:
Junior Suite was very spacious
70 something Cable channels, including six HBO Channels
Two TV's in Junior Suite
Newly Renovated
Comfy Bed

Cons:
- ID card issues
- Bathroom was tiny, toilet was too close to wall.
- Door knobs inside suite, had to be 40+ year old door hardware, if not original, but I hoped they weren't the ones from the roaring 20's.
- "The Shining type" OLD hallways, creepy as heck.
- Parking, 1 hour is $8, but daily is $20... so don't go in and out at the garage!
- Thin Windows, can hear everything outside, random people yelling at night.
- I just don't like Providence, the whole entire city rubbed me the wrong way, I'm glad to be home!!!

Room Tip: Junior Suite is very big, which relieved frustration from other issues.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This is an old hotel that was likely classy in its day. I hear there are some nice rooms, but I didn't get one. The "superior king" is a dusty, tiny hole. With nice, new, fresh hotels right nearby, don't get sucked into this dump.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Jeffrey L, Manager at The Providence Biltmore Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am truly sorry that your experience was negative. We have completed a full renovation of all of our guestrooms now in the early Summer and I am sure that if you were to give us another chance you would find the results are incredible.

I would love the opportunity to bring you back for a follow up visit to ensure you the Biltmore of old is no more. We are revitalized and once again the Grande Dame of Providence.

Please, reach out to me direct 401-455-3160. That number will ring directly to my desk. The next time you are visiting Providence, give me a chance to personally see to it that your opinion of the Biltmore is a five star opinion.

Jeff Lima
401-455-3160
Reservations Manager
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This is such a beautiful old building that is in amazing condition. The lobby has the most beautiful staircase and many historic artifacts to view. Don't miss the high water markers from the 1938 and 1954 hurricanes. The staff was extremely helpful and polite. We were here for a function in the ballroom which is gorgeous! The food was some of the best we have ever eaten! A delight for the taste buds! Our room was very nice and the bed was unbelievable comfortable! I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: They are all outside rooms, so there is no bad room!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Staying in a 1br suite for 2 nights. Lovely hotel conveniently located near restaurants and amtrak. Starbucks in the building too.

Best part is complimentary hotel car (based upon avail and within 3 miles but can pay for further distance if you need to.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Stratford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in room 1233 on 6/23. We heard the stories but never expected to have anything happen to us. We went to sleep appx 9:30 pm bcz we had an early rise for Johnson and Wales. I was asleep and out of nowhere, there was something walking above my head on the pillow, like a dog slowly stepping. It came around me and then over me. I slowly creped to my boyfriends corner of the bed and jumped off. I heard it's nails on the bathroom tile. During the experience I could not move and tried to yell my boyfriends name and nothing came out. Once it was gone, I turned to him and yelled his name. He was out cold, I woke him and asked if he felt anything, he got aggravated that I woke him. I finally fell back asleep appx 5am. We woke at 6:15. I told him what happened to me. He is a skeptic so I didn't think he would believe me. He stared at me when I told him, he said...whatever that was, just stopped creeping up and down the bed in between us. He said it lasted almost a 1/2 hour and he couldn't move. He is no longer a skeptic. We both can't stop thinking about this. I loved the hotel and was looking forward to visiting my daughter and staying there but now I'm afraid of what might happen if we do.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
huntington, wv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

my wife and I and 17 yr old son stayed here on a college tour. very large, extremely comfortable room. staff was very helpful with dinner ideas etc. Was pleasantly surprised at all Providence offers, and this was a great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Providence Biltmore Hotel? Share your experiences!