“Follow up service made my day” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Providence Hotel

You added Renaissance Providence Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Providence Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Avenue of the Arts, Providence, RI 02903 (Downtown Providence)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Certificate of Excellence 2014
usa
“Follow up service made my day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Did not get off to a great start.....we were originally in a room on the sixth floor right under the gym, and the noise from the early morning exercisers bothered me, but not anyone else in my family.....visited the front desk again and eventually they put us in a great room on the first floor....much better than the original room in every way. Also had dinner in the somewhat un-named restaraunt which turned out to be very solid. What put this place over the top? I put several of my favorite shirts / jacket in the bedroom dresser, and of course forgot them. When I called the hotel a couple days later, they had already gathered them, and were very accomodating and helpful to ship them back to me.....very thankful for that.....

Room Tip: don't stay on the 6th floor under the gym......
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank-you for your kind comments and feedback. It is wonderful to hear that our team was proactive in gathering your items and ensured that you received them safe and sound.Hopefully we will have the opportunity to be of service in the near future when you return to Providence.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel, inside and out, as it is set on a hill in a super location-quiet too! The price was reasonable, especially for such a classy hotel. There is a $28.00 valet parking fee, per day though. Our room was very clean and so lovely with wonderful linens and a beautiful bathroom! We had a great view of the state house which is an impressive building. The staff here were very helpful, kind and respectful! We had tickets to an 8:00 p.m. performance at the Providence Performing Arts Center and walked to this performance from the hotel--about a 20 minute walk-refreshing and fun to see all the restaurants open, people all around having a nice time. Also, we attended Mass at a Catholic church which was in walking distance of the hotel. We will definitely stay here again as it is a super hotel in a super location!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for your fabulous comments and it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and our city. It will be our pleasure to be of service in the near future and we appreciate your loyalty.We look forward to your next visit with us.
Sanibel Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My daughter was married here and they were great. Food was terrific rooms were superior and service was top notch. Great spot fine staff and super location. We went to the Renissance several times before booking and they were great every time. You will not get a better place in Providence than they have to offer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank-you for discovering our hotel and we truly appreciate your business. It is wonderful that we made your daughter's special day fantastic. I am happy to hear that the wedding and accomodations were spectacular. Thank-you for your comments and hopefully we can be of service in the near future.
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We were staying here during our trip to New England last October. We had the benefit of a friend who worked for Marriot who was able to get us a discount which swayed us into booking the hotel.

It was a great hotel with lovely rooms. The hotel is perched on the hill beside the state house and only a 5 minute walk from the train station and mall. We were able to enjoy the waterfire and jack o latern whilst we were in providence which were both great. Brown university is also worth a visit and has some great history. Providence is a nice relaxing place and this hotel is a great base to explore it from.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for your observations of our hotel being a great hotel with lovely rooms. We are conveniently located to everything that makes Providence such a wonderful place to visit. We hope to see you again soon.
Fairfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Fabulous!
Immaculate. Relatively new so it's all still fresh.
Great lounge open til 1:00 am on wkends.
Very quiet.
Great views.
Friendly, courteous, obliging service.
Valet parking.
WiFi, flat screen tv,iPhone ports, sundries, in room coffee/tea, Aveda bath products.
Nicely appointed. Lush linens. Marble bathrooms.
Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Stay in a room w a Capital view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for discovering our hotel and for your Fabulous Comments! we appreciate that you had the time to enjoy everything that makes our hotel such a unique experience in Providence. We look forward to being of service in the near future.
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Located on Francis St across from the State House. An architecturally elegant building, well appointed inside. It's an old Masonic Lodge (c. 1927). Rooms are comfy. Parking is valet only.($28.00/nite). Walking distance from mall and restaurants. Short drive to Federal Hll where you can find several blocks of the best Italian Food anywhere, from deli to 5 star restaurants.
A shuttle would be a nice addition as parking is at a premium in this town. A very easy on-off of I 95.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with a view of the State House.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank-you for discovering our hotel and it is wonderful that you found our central location helped you to discover the best of Providence. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to be of service in the near future.
Laguna Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I see that many of the better reviews for this hotel come from people who booked it on Priceline, and perhaps at less than half the price it would be more acceptable. One heads-up: you can immediately add $40 to the price of your room--because parking a car and using the Internet are part of real life, aren't they? And the taxes (for me, at least) were another $25. I recently stayed at the Renaissance for 4 days while visiting my daughter at Brown U. The first two nights were spent in a room with one queen bed, though online I had reserved a room with two or a king (hoping she might stay with me a few nights.) For the very small & incorrect room I was charged the same price. After that I was given the room with two beds, but was mistakenly "checked out" by the desk a day early, so had no maid service the last day & returned to a room still sporting a pile of wet towels & unmade beds. (A call to housekeeping brought us fresh towels, but no chance of taking the others away.)
In the interest of space & time, I'm going to share only one of our unpleasant experiences with staff. The last morning, we called down for our car about 10 minutes before we left the room. I went to the desk to check out and my daughter stood outside, watching a whole group of valets chatting & doing nothing, since we were the only ones waiting. When I joined her in the FREEZING weather, we waited a further 15 minutes while occasionally hearing from valets: "You don't have your car yet?" Then the valet manager came out, pointed to the car that we had been standing next to the entire time, & said that one was ours. (Honestly?) Me: It's not. Him: You said #47. Me: That clearly says #48, wrong make, wrong model, wrong color. (All of which I had been asked for when I requested the car.) Him: Well that's the car your keys fit. Me: Well, it doesnt belong to me, so I'm not gonna drive off in it. This was followed by a full two-minute AGRESSIVE argument on his part--during which he actually removed the card that said "48" from the car in question, & I promised to agree to any of his issues if I could just have my own car. To his credit, they did bring another car--also wrong. Then he pulled the keys clearly marked 47 from his cabinet, and lo & behold 10 minutes later I got my car. Then my daughter (unfortunately with a fever of 102, but that's not the hotel's fault) and I loaded our own luggage and belongings while another valet made a HUGE point of moving as slowly as humanly possible. Did I make my flight? Only by pleading my way to the front of the baggage line. 35 minutes makes a big difference.
I understand that mistakes are made-- but "customer service" was clearly not something that this hotel felt was included in the price. (Our other incident was equally bad, to be honest.) As with Internet, it's not something they feel a guest should expect.
I'll be traveling from Laguna Beach to Providence many times in the next years, and obviously won't be staying here again. My bill for the 4 days, exclusive of room service & movies, came to $1147.82. (This did include a 3:00 checkout, instead of 12:00, for $98.50 because i wanted my sick daughter to sleep late.) And I have never, anywhere, been treated so badly.
Why the two stars? The food in the restaurant was very good. Room service was prompt. And the rooms are well-decorated, though you shouldn't expect in-room beverage/ snacks in the 'fridge. We had a view of the Capitol that was lovely. And I wish I knew the name of the bellman that last day--he was wonderful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank-you for your feedback.I do apologize that you seem to have had an experience that is obviously an anomaly at our hotel. We are consistently rated in the top 2 hotels on Trip Advisor and it is because we consistently exceed the expectations of our guests.I truly apologize for your negative encounter with our valet parking company, although they are a vendor of ours, our expectation is that they perform at a high level of service and I accept full responsibility for the scenario that you described. We have a wonderful long standing relationship with many parents who come to visit their children regularly at many of the local universities. It is because we do offer a great experience that they choose to stay with us each time they visit Providence. I hope that you will give us the opportunity in the future to regain your confidence. As you can see by our comments on Trip Advisor we do have a great reputation for service execution with our guests.

Been to Renaissance Providence Hotel? Share your experiences!