“A pleasant surprise, perfect location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Providence Hotel

You added Renaissance Providence Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Providence Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Avenue of the Arts, Providence, RI 02903 (Downtown Providence)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Saratoga Springs, New York
“A pleasant surprise, perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

On our way back from Newport RI we wanted to stop for an evening in Providence to take a friend out to dinner and to explore the downtown area. Being loyal Marriott users we first explored Marriott choices and this hotel came up. The location was where we wanted it to be so we figured we would give it a shot. Although our visit was short (less than 24 hours), we were very happy with the accomodations and quite frankly pleasantly surprised. This hotel had so much more character than the typical Marriott. The lobby was beautiful, check in was quick and pleasant and the room was very nice. We had the most awesome view of the State Capitol building. The bed was comfortable. In the morning we went to the dining room for breakfast, not only was it delicious but far more moderately priced than most Marriotts. The service was very good. As a matter of fact we were impressed with the good service we received from everyone we came in contact with. Even though we are frequent travelers, for some reason I didn't realize that the Renaissance brand was a step above the typical Marriott. Based on our experience here we will try to stay in them whenever we have that as a choice.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the Capitol building
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Live Life to Discover! This is what the Reanissance Brand is about and you are a true discoverer ! Thank-you for discovering our hotel and the Renaissance Brand, we look forward to being of service to you in the future as you continue to explore our brand finding out what makes us so special.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Location was nice. Got a room facing the capital building which was awesome to take a look at everyday of the stay. Very nice facilities but the rooms were a little cramped and it would have been better if the windows were bigger. Would definitely stay here again, due to location and room.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank-you for discovering our hotel and our fabulous location. I am happy to hear you received one of our capitol view rooms and enjoyed the magnificent views of our state capitol. Because our building is an historic restoration, we do have 46 unique room configuartions offering you a different discovery each time you stay with us. Hopefully we will see you again soon and help you discover more of what makes our hotel and our city so wonderful.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at the renaissance in early august for a wedding, the rooms were set up so everyone attending the wedding would have a room. The manager Crystal was helping check us all in because of the many people checking in at the same time. She noticed that i am a upper level marriot rewards member and gave me a room upgrade because of this, i was envied by everyone in the wedding party because of the wonderful room i had with the gorgeous view of the state house and amenities that were sent up to me and my new wife. Everything was fine until the valet decided to drive my standard transmission car without any knowledge of knowing how to drive a simple 5-speed BMW. I requested my car and knew that something was wrong when 30 minutes went by and there was still no sign of the vehicle. I asked several valets what the situation was and received a different answer from every person, traffic, many "call downs" at the same time, location of the vehicle and another excuse that i can not think of at the time but was just as ridiculous as the previous. I then asked to speak with a manager when a young man named Keith claimed he was in charge of the valet operations came up to me wearing sunglasses and barking out rude orders to his hard working staff that really degraded these individuals. He seemed like he was more worried about his appearance than his customers that are allowing him to keep his job. He then told me to "hang on" while he checked the status of the vehicle. I then saw him use the phone and told a young woman something and started laughing. I knew there was something wrong at this point. About 10 minutes later, making the total wait time 40 minutes he came driving my vehicle up the hill. As soon as the vehicle came into sight i already smelled my transmission. I asked him what had happened and he told me that there seemed to be a problem with the engine and they are not responsible for engine malfunctions. This was not a malfunction on my 8 month old car this was an issue due to negligence of this individual not screening his employees. I could not believe that they would allow somebody to drive a vehicle that does not know what they are doing. I am currently in the process of working this situation out with their corporate office and they are very helpful, unlike their representative at this exquisite Marriott property.

Room Tip: Do NOT Valet, park in the mall yourself!! (it is where they stick the cars)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank-you for your positive comments about our hotel and our staff and it is fabulous that you found our hotel "exquisite". I apologize that you hade an issue with our valet operators and I will ensure that I speak to them on your behalf to offer any assistance I may. Thank-you once again for your wonderful comments about our hotel.
Centreville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The staff was very friendly and helpful from the valet service to desk staff. The room was very nicely appointed with a very large bathroom and and nice view. The only issue we ran into was after booking for three people we arrived to find there were no double queen rooms. They quickly rolled in a nice single bed but it was a bit disappointing at check in especially after we had confirmed our arrival several hours before getting there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank-you for your wonderful comments about our service and our staff. I do apologize that we were not able to meet your request for double beds. I am sorry that we dissapointed you but thank-you for recognizing that we did react and accomodated you with an additional bed in your room to meet your needs. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to be of service in the near future.
Alpharetta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I always like Marriott Renaissance hotels as they are usually reliable and known for being a business hotel with good accommodations and the most important, comfortable beds. This one was no exception, except perhaps a step up ,because it is in a historic renovated building and the lobby has an art deco vibe. It is close to walking down to the river walk, less than a mile, and is quiet and a good place to sleep.

Room Tip: The concierge level on the 7th floor is very nice and food preparation for breakfast and snacks good...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank-you for discovering our hotel and our comfortable beds! It is fabulous that you enjoyed our historically restored building, it is very calssical with a number on contemporary touches. We are centrally located and a short walk to the river walk, a great place to be for Waterfire. Hopefully we will see you again soon.
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked this Hotel through Expedia. I requested a two queen bed room since there are four of us ( two kid). When we called the Hotel the night before leaving to confirm our room they only had a king bed room available, after a bit of a battle with the Expedia rep they were able to guarantee a two queen bed room but on the main floor of the Hotel. The rooms were very clean and it didn't feel like a hotel at all. The lobby is a bit small and there aren't that many amenities, the on-site restaurant is very expensive as is th $28 Valet parking fee. You can park across the street at the Providence mall for $20 per 24 hours, thats where the Valets park the vehicles anyways. knowing what I know now its a great place to stay in Providence but if you have young children I recommend staying at a different Hotel with more amenities and a better priced restaurant.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the State Capital which is an amazing view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank-you for your feedback and it is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do not have the amenitiy of a pool that children would enjoy but we do make up for that in a number of other areas. We look forward to have you stay with us in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

One of the best hotels, cant get better than this, courteous staff, nice location. Close to mall and some eating places. Very clean. The only thing is u have to pay the valet but i still consider it a goo deal.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank-you for discovering our hotel and your fabulous comments that you cannot get better than our staff and our location. We are very proud of our staff and the cleanliness of our hotel. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Been to Renaissance Providence Hotel? Share your experiences!