“Great location; Friendly staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Providence

You added Hotel Providence to your Saves list
Hotel Providence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 Mathewson Street, Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Great location; Friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I've stayed here twice so far, and would not hesitate to stay again! Great location that's walking distance to bars, restaurants, music venues (The Roots & Lupo's), and the local shops on Westminster.

I literally have nothing bad to say about either of my stays here; the rooms are spacious with extremely comfortable beds, the valets & front desk staff were very friendly, and the on-site restaurant & bar - though a little pricey - has a decent wine selection and serves-up a very tasty breakfast.

The only thing that might be an issue for some travelers is the noise from the nearby church bells. We could hear them on both our stays (two different rooms, albeit on the same side of the hotel), and while it didn't pose much of problem for us, I could see it being bothersome for families with young children who wake easily and/or for light sleepers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HotelProv, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel and restaurant. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay on both occasions. Although the vast majority of our guests enjoy the church bells, If they pose an issue, our front office agents will do whatever they can to eradicate the situation.

We love being within walking distance to some of New England's great theaters, music venues, restaurants, and shopping. Our restaurant, Aspire Seasonal Kitchen, is known as one of the area's premier Jazz venues (The Joe Potenza Quartet performs every Friday night). I encourage you to come hear them play the next time you're in town.

Thank you again for your business and Happy New Year!

Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Mansfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I have heard wonderful things about the Hotel Providence and had been looking forward to my theater and dinner plans only to be let down. I literally was just kicked out of the hotel bar due to a private party only just after I paid for my drinks and left a tip! A tip for nothing. The staff completely clueless but I say BS. Party or no party a paying guest of the hotel should have access to the hotel bar. Don't overbook yourself to forsake a paying customer. With all the hotels and restaurants in Providence lets just say I won't be coming back to the Hotel Prov anytime soon. It hurts me to have to leave a review like this but it had to be said.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your comments. I want to assure you that they are taken very seriously.
I apologize for the way you were treated in our restaurant. Guests of the hotel should always have access to our food and beverage outlets regardless of whether or not the restaurant is hosting a private event. Unfortunately this lack of communication on our part spoiled your evening, and I am truly sorry for that. We appreciate your business and hope you will return.

Regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Clean hotel that was a 30 second walk to the PPAC. Rooms were nice and the staff very friendly. Close location to J&W Univ. And was very easy to get to from the highway. Didn't do much exploring as we were just there for one might to see the phantom of the opera. I would come back again.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and found our location to be convenient for all your needs. We hope you get a chance to explore a bit more on your next visit. Our concierge and front office agents are full of excellent suggestions for a little Providence adventure!

Ellsworth, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel itself was great! Very clean, staff was friendly and helpful. Room was large, bathroom very very clean - hot water plentiful and fast. Towels - top of the line, rich and thick. Nicely decorated room.
The only downside for us was...we were on the even side of the 4th floor - out the window you can see the street - and across the street a parking lot and a building. Well, this building is a bar - we were there on a Saturday night and the bar was in full swing with live music. Every time someone opened the door to the bar - the music screamed like we were in the next room. People were outside smoking and the drunker they got - the louder and madder they got. Sleep was non-existant until about an hour after the bar closed. I think if we had been on the odd side of the floor it would have been ok.
The parking was only valet - though someone was always there to take care of the car and when you called for it - it came very quickly. But...the $28.00 per day price is a bit steep, especially when you have to add on a couple of dollars tip every time.

Room Tip: Pick the odd numbered side of the building to avoid the bar scene!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciated our room amenities and details such as plush towels and great water pressure (a must!).
I apologize for our noisy neighbors during your visit. Unfortunately, your stay coincided with their holiday fundraiser, and our requests to have the music turned down went unheeded. We spoke to the owners regarding the noise from their establishment and they assured us that they would do their best to manage any future parties.
Thank you so much for your business and we look forward to your return.

Regards,
Johnsburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I really liked this hotel. Felt like I was staying in a european hotel. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Staff freindly and helpful. No problem getting the staff to puy on the Bears game in the bar. Also a great location right in the arts district. We were able to walk everywhere. I also thought it was reasonably priced for the location. I would definitly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We like to think of ourselves as a New England charmer with European flair!
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and our central location. We feel that Hotel Providence is a real value for the level of customer service and amenities we offer. We can compete with the big brands and still offer a unique and individualized experience. We're proud of our property and enjoy sharing it with each guest. Please visit us again soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have just finished spending a wonderful four nights at Hotel Providence. Staff were always friendly, helpful and very professional. The room I stayed in was well appointed and tastefully decorated. I would stay here again if I ever have an opportunity to visit Providence again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HotelProv, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback! It is wonderful to hear from our loyal guests and appreciate your continued patronage. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have stayed at Hotel Providence since my daughter was a freshman at one of the local universities every time I visit her. I visit several times a year due to various activities. I strayed once to stay at a different hotel that was only a few blocks closer to the University. After that mistake, I've been back at Hotel Providence. The staff is consistent; on my repeat trips they greet me by saying, "welcome back." Dan and Roy are exceptionally friendly and helpful. The location is perfect for my needs. The valets and the doorman are efficient and friendly. The rooms are very nice and meet our needs. Extra linens? No problem. Make up the pull-out? No problem. Satisfactory workout facilities. Small enough to take the stairs to your room, not the elevator. A very nice small, personal boutique hotel, with a friendly staff. Through them, I've joined the Stash rewards program and have stayed at similar boutique hotels elsewhere. Definitely recommend Hotel Providence.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main part of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind remarks! We wouldn't be here without loyal guests like you and your family. We truly enjoy our "university families" and look forward to seeing your names on the list of arrivals. I will pass along your comments to our wonderful desk agents, Dan and Roy. I know they shine a little brighter when they see their names in print!
I'm thrilled that you signed up for our rewards program and have had a chance to visit other boutiques in the portfolio.
We look forward to your next visit.

From our family to yours- thank you!
Marketing Manager

Been to Hotel Providence? Share your experiences!