“Lovely for short visits” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Providence

You added Hotel Providence to your Saves list
Hotel Providence
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   139 Mathewson Street, Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Hartland, Vermont
“Lovely for short visits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was the second time my daughter and I have stayed here. Staff was very helpful and friendly.
Room was large and clean although the carpet was well worn. Location was fantastic, especially for a college visit to Brown.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of the church and away from the bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Great location, front desk and valet staff helpful and pleasant, spacious room. We had a great dinner down the street at Local 121, and excellent breakfast the next morning at Kitchen, a short walk from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed for two nights at the Hotel Providence. The staff was friendly, and the location is great. The room was clean, overall, as was the rest of the hotel. The food in the restaurant was decent, service average, and musical entertainment too loud--a guy beatboxing and singing and playing guitar and using the guitar like a drum, trying to be like Martin Sexton but it didn't sound good.
The Hotel Providence offers what I think you would expect at its rate, and conveniences like free printing at the lobby computer are definitely nice touches. However my room has several problems that would lead me to re-consider staying there the next time I am in Providence (a great little city by the way): 1. The grout in the shower tiles was rusty and orange. On the all white tile scheme, this really stands out. 2. The in-room safe did not work. 3. There was a space betwen the carpet and the bathroom flooring that was ACTUALLY SHARP. My socks were caught on it several times. This made walking barefoot not an option. 4. When I entered the room, there was a significant draft coming in from the window--it was not locked and the bottom pane was completely off track, leaving a couple inches of space between the two panes. It took some time for me to get the window closed, and locked, and even then it was still loose and leaking air. Also, the window faced a brick wall. No view. (Room 207) 5. Finally, the inroom phones need to be replaced. To answer the wakeup call and get it to stop ringing, you can't just pick up the phone, you have to pickup the phone and hit the specific line that is ringing, which barely lights up and is difficult to figure out at 530am. This is the kind of phone a receptionist needs, not a guest. 6. Finally, the concierge service was hit or miss. One was helpful and kind. Another, when I called down to ask if there was a shuttle running from the hotel to the airport, he said "UHhhhhhh, well, I don't think they'll be available tomorrow. They usually don't run that much, if at all, on Sundays." Needless to say, this is a less than definitive answer. He suggested I take a cab, which is 3x the cost. I asked a few follow up questions to try to get more information and give him a chance to redeem himself, but rather than saying that he would find out for me and call me right back, he suggested that I call the shuttle company MYSELF. I did so, and found out that the shuttles do run on Sunday, every hour on the hour, starting at 7am. This is something the concierge should have known off the top of his head, and when he didn't he should have found it out. If I had followed his ill-informed advice, I would have spent money unnecessarily on a cab. For that to be my final experience with the hotel colors the rest of my experience in a sort of negative light.

Room Tip: Room 207, the window faces a brick wall. Not sure what side of the building this is.
Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had a last minute change on plans and ended flying to Providence, we took one of the three last rooms at the Providence Hotel. The front desk staff was really kind and helpful, the hotel very well located, the room was good, spacious, clean, the bathroom great.... but.... we could hear a motor roar very loud. We were offered another room, a floor down, but on the same wing and it was as loud as the first one. I don't know if they have this problem on all the rooms of that wing. It was too bad because in all the other aspects were great. Anyway if I ever go back to Providence, I might give it another chance, but specifically asking for a room in the other wing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is the 4th time I have stayed at Hotel Providence and I just can't fault it. Great rooms, great service, great location. And if you are looking for the best coffee and food close by, just around the corner is Tazza, brilliant!

Room Tip: I prefer the front rooms
Yarmouth, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for one nite on business and found it comfy, conveniently located, and with more personality than the chain hotels. Beds were great, anthropomorphic was spotless. Only concern was that the outlets were hard to reach for ironing and phone charging.

Room Tip: I was on the 7th floor so had a nice view.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was our favourite hotel on our trip to the States. The concierge was extremely welcoming and helpful and this set the tone for our stay. We had a very comfortable room on the front of the hotel; initially I had been apprehensive about traffic noise but this proved unfounded. On arrival in the room we had a problem with the bathroom window which was rectified immediately. The concierge recommended an excellent restaurant for dinner within walking distance of the hotel and efficiently arranged our onward transportation. They were also helpful in providing a later check out. We had a delicious breakfast which was included in the very competitive room rate. All in all, highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Providence? Share your experiences!