“great bar, and the french fries are delicious” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lili Marlene's
422 Atwells Ave, Providence, RI 02909-1029 (Federal Hill)
401-751-4996
Improve this listing
Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Neighborhood: Federal Hill
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“great bar, and the french fries are delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

great bar, and the french fries are delicious

75% Recommend
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“low key atmosphere. the...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2007

low key atmosphere. the best pool table in providence, and it's free!

Providence, RI
“Great atmosphere, cheap food, good service, eclectic music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2007

First, this bar is dark. It's about as close you can get to pitch black without tripping over your own feet. It manages to do this without being seedy; Lili Marlene's has more than a little class without being pretentious. If you're looking for a low-key environment without the usual RI riff-raff (but not because the prices are high -- they're reasonable), you'll see just that as you walk in.

The bartender and waitstaff are amazingly friendly, contrary to another review posted here. These are people that you know actually mean it when they ask how you're doing, and you don't mind telling the truth.

The food is dirt cheap and not half bad, though the selection is the predictable burgers and sandwiches. Expect to eat twice as well as fast food for the same price.

The drinks are well-made and the beer on tap is quite good. This is one of the few places in Providence that serves a Sloe-Gin Fizz.

If you have an open mind as far as music is concerned, you'll get a kick out of their selection, which can vary from country to proto-punk to obscure electronic pieces. It doesn't always work, but it's pretty enjoyable, and I guarantee you that you won't hear anything you'll find at the sports bar down the street.

Overall, this is one of my favorite bars in Providence. There's only one pool table and on the weekends it's always in use, but you can usually get a comfy tall-backed booth if you come in at the right time, and even the bar and side-table seating is pleasant and gently sophisticated. Don't come if you want $8 drinks and to be seen by the social elite (you won't be able to see anything except the person next to you). Don't come if you want to party, get wasted and be obnoxious. Come because you've got nowhere else to go.

Providence
“Not your typical Atwell's Ave.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

Lilli's is a great place to grab a late meal. The food is inexpensive and tasty. I usually stop in after work or on awkward hours throughout the weekend so I've never seen this place completely packed and intolerable (i happen to hate crowded places). The clientèle seems to be a mix of local bar fly's and artsie-fartsies (not a bad thing). The drinks prices are average and the staff have always been attentive and pleasant, but like i said earlier, I've never been there when its crowded.

ri
“Poor service ruins experience of good food at excellent prices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

Great burger for a cheap price. I sat at the bar and ordered my meal and a beer. The beer on tap was great. But the woman bartender was not friendly at all. In the past year I have been to many new places (boston, brooklyn, manhattan) and sat and had dinner at the bar instead of at a table. I've found that it's a more fun experience.
At Lily Marlene's the bartender could have cared less that I and my partner were there. Actually we were treated to just enough attention to order our drink and meal and that was it. Even though the place was nearly empty she was so disinterested in waiting on us. A couple of her friends walked in and we had to ask twice for our check.
Never will I go again as I can find a number of places were the food and beer or good and the wait staff doesn't treat me like I'm a wasting their time.
Maybe I wasn't hip and cool enough to warrant decent communication? It shouldn't matter as being an attentive bartender would have make us stay longer and brought us back again.
I bet she doesn't care. Too bad for the owners of Lilys.