“Nice rooms, not downtown” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 13 hotels in Providence
New Jersey
“Nice rooms, not downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Stayed one night in July. Turned out to be Waterfire night, where Providence lights bonfires on the rivers in downtown (http://www.waterfire.org/). We weren't planning on it, but ended up enjoying the street vendors and lively atmosphere. Reserve ahead if you want to take a gondola ride. But back to the Marriott. Like many others have said it is not in downtown - we had to drive to get to the clubs and restaurants. Bedding was ok, room was clean, mini-fridge, in-room coffee, no in-room safe, AC worked, but it was extremely loud. The pool scene was pretty tame while we were there.
If you want to be in downtown, go for the Westin or Courtyard.
Enjoy Providence!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Providence Marriott Downtown. We value your comments and share the information with our staff in order to provide the best customer service. We have just about completed an upgrade to our HVAC units throughout the hotel to address the noise issue you experienced. We're also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room accommodations and had a chance to go to WaterFire. When you visit Providence again, please think of us. We do offer complimentary shuttle service to the surrounding areas of downtown. Hope to see you soon!

538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed here with a conference and I absolutely would not stay here again if I came back on a vacation. It wasn't a bad hotel, it just wasn't very convenient and was not worth the cost.

First, the positives: the staff were very friendly, the room was reasonably comfortable. They have a really neat pool area, although the inside pool is much smaller than it looks online. They allowed me a late checkout.

The negatives: THE LOCATION! It is not downtown or really anywhere near downtown. It was an ok neighborhood, but there are no restaurants, coffee shops, or stores nearby. I felt like I was pretty much trapped in the hotel. They run a free shuttle to the mall, etc.., but it was booked when I wanted to use it. It would probably be ok if you have a car.

Aiport Shuttle: There is no free airport shuttle. The shuttle that you can pay for is through an outside service, only comes once an hour, and it is first come first serve. It was pretty difficult to get out at the end of a conference.

Internet: Internet is only free and wireless in the lobby. There was some type of wired internet available in the room for about $10 a day, but I wasn't sure it was high speed and not dial up.

Bed in the room: I had a king sized bed which was reasonably comfortable, but it was the kind with a metal frame that doesn't go all the way to the floor, so I had to check to make sure no one was hiding under the bed. (I might watch too many tv crime shows, but better safe than sorry, I think.)

Air conditioning: Others have mentioned that the air conditioning is loud--they are right.

Cleanliness of the room: It was pretty clean, although there was a hair in the shower when I arrived that was there after the room was cleaned the next day too.

Restaurant: I ate at the restaurant several times, (as there were no nearby restaurants,) and the clam chowder was wonderful. But I came to lunch on a Monday at 11:00 and they said they were still only serving breakfast, (seems a little late on a weekday,) but I went ahead with breakfast. I asked for a glass of water, and there was a crumb of food floating on top. I asked for another, and there still looked like there was a little speck of something swirling around in it, so I decided to just drink the coffee, as at least the water was boiled.

Overall, I would say that this hotel is not comfortable, not a good value, and not convenient. It is more of a midlevel hotel quality at a high level hotel price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
, Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate when our guests share their experiences with us and tripadvisor readers. Your praise regarding our staff and how they made you feel so welcome and accomodated your requests is great feedback to hear! We are also happy to know that you enjoyed our pool. Hopefully, you had time during your conference to spend a moment to relax at AQUA - our outdoor lounge.

The Providence Marriott Downtown is located between the Historic East Side and the "Down City" areas. Most of the time this is a convenient location with an approximate ten minute walk in nearly every direction taking our guests to the coolest spots in Providence. When walking is not an option, we also offer shuttle service. Our complimentary shuttle can fill up quickly and we attempt to communicate this to all our guests. We apologize if this was not explained to you and will continue to train our staff to state that reservations for the shuttle are strongly recommended.
In response to your additional feedback, we read every tripadvisor review and guest feedback response as a team. We will address each item to which you have referred. Thank you again and we hope you visit Providence again very soon.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

In regards to my title, despite its name, the Providence Marriott is not downtown. It's more like a ten minute walk from downntown. It can be more appropriately named Marriott Providence off the I-95.

I checked in for a conference that pretty much booked the hotel, so my room wasn't available to me. Luckily, there was free internet in the lobby, so I just pulled out my laptop and did a little bit of work. I was told to check back in at three (at 1:00 p.m.) so my friend and I went out to lunch. While at lunch, I got a call from the hotel that my room was ready.

The room itself was spacious. It had one of those bathrooms that are two segments: the basin/closet in one segment and the shower/toilet in the other. It was stocked with the usual Marriott amenities, the bath and boydworks ginger and orange aromatherapy line.

The king size bed was comfortable and there was a large flatscreen television in the room. There is only free wi-fi in the lobby, so I had to pay for the LAN connection in my room to access (9.99/night).

As mentioned earlier, you can get tot he historical center of Providence (state house, river walk) via a ten minute walk crossing an access road to the I-95 onramp. About a half a mile in the other direction is a little strip mall with a Whole Foods, Boston Market and McDonalds.

There's also free parking and a pool, though in regards to the latter, I'd stay away on a Sunday. The pool scene looked pretty raucous due to a weekly event the hotel has by the pool.

I'd recommend the hotel only if you didn't want to spend the $$$ to stay right in the historic center.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Thank you on behalf of the staff at the Providence Marriott Downtown for your excellent feedback regarding out hotel. It is very important to us that our guests share their experiences with us and tripadvisor readers. We are glad you enjoyed your room and it's amenities as well as the pool area. Our Sunday events around the pool area have taken on a more relaxing and mellow atmosphere for the remainder of the summer. So, we hope you will come back soon and experience our resort-style atmosphere for a leisure stay before the summer ends. Thank you again for your response.
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

This hotel is ok and that's about the best I can say about it. The first thing that greets you (apart from its scruffy location well away from the central area) is that it smells weird. Musty.

The roo I had for 5 nights was quite large. However the air conditioning is so noisy that I had to turn it off most of the time. Certainly couldn't sleep with it on. Could hardly hear the telly!

Room service is VERY slow (1 hour 10 mins for a glass of wine...), food order incorrect on a couple of occasions, lots of cling fim, laundry late.... I just didn't feel cared for, and when you're away from your family on business for a week you kind of need that.

On the plus side the hotel runs a shuttle bus to the centre. It has quite a big swimming pool and a gym, although there are only a few pieces of equipment and several of those weren't working.

On the plus side the hair dryer worked, there were plenty of plugs and a half decent coffee maker. There's a fridge (empty, sadly...) and a Starbucks in the lobby.

Would I come back here? Well if I had to. There have to be better hotels in Providence.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Thank you so very much for your feedback regading your stay at our hotel. We are addressing each item you have written about and take all our guests comments very seriously.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our shuttle service and our pool area. Our fitness center is in the process of having the floor replaced and all the equipment checked. We are updating our equipment on a regular basis as well.

We hope you do choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting Providence. Thank you again for your feedback!
New Engand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

High marks for the pool and a sweet little fitness center...fair marks for the overall experience. We wouldn't stay again...not so much b/c of the property, but rather that there are simply so many choices in Providence and the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

I was initially disappointed by the location of this hotel, which seemed out of the main activities of downtown (Providence Place, etc.). But I found it was even better---adjacent to the fascinating Federal Hill/College Hill area and a few blocks from the incredible Rhode Island Museum of Art. Much more interesting than the typical mall stores and restaurants in the downtown core, this area is the "real" Providence. Typical chain hotel rooms, but an extra nice coffee/tea set-up and a great TV-media system that easily allows you to plug in your own PC or MP3 player. Nice restaurant and fair prices. Only negative was some sort of pool activity called "Aqua" that drew a rougher crowd than I like, and loud rock music with a DJ that went all through the hotel and even in my room. Also, the AC unit was old-fashioned and noisy. Positive was that the windows opened for fresh air.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Stoughton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

We went to celebrate our 15th year anniversarylast weekend and I didnt research the hotel. I had Marriott points and really should have looked into it more carefully. As we were driving up to it from the highway we both kind of groaned, but then pulled around to the entrance and said maybe not so bad. We were greeted by very nice staff at the check in. The lobby seems a bit dated and we went to our room on the 6th floor. It had a strange odor in the room and throughout the floor. When we entered our room we noticed that the rugs had been replaced and new bed linens. It may have new tile and fresh paint. The ceiling was peeling, the furniture was beat up, lamp shades had gouges in them and just a feeling of shabbiness. I was pretty dissapointed even though I used points and didnt have to pay. I am starting to feel that the Marriott's quality is not what it used to be. I have stayed at many others and they just don't have the wow factor and pretty much need to be updated. I am not hotel snob, but do expect a certain level out of major chain hotels. Oh well.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Providence Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!