“FABULOUS HOTEL” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Boston, Ma, Usa
“FABULOUS HOTEL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I try to stay at this particular hotel once a month. I find it to be relaxing, clean and very accommodating. The rooms are very luxurious, always clean and very consistent. The lobby is beautiful, parking is free and they have a very nice bar and restaurant. I would recommend it to anyone. I can always count on the Marriott organization to be great, no matter what city or country and I am staying in.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

the hotel's staff was excellent - friendly, helpful!

close to the Providence Place mall, Federal Hill. Hotel has a shuttle that takes you there - avoid parking hassels

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Overall it was a decent trip thanks to free parking, a decent restaurant, and the pool, which was large, heated and was half inside and half outside. Even the pool though was in need a good cleaning. It was brownish on the bottom and the whirlpool had a thick layer of grime around it.

My husband was there on business and my daughter (3) and I stayed with him. Connecting his laptop was an ordeal--no WiFi, and there was no Ethernet cable to connect. It took several phone calls to figure it out and finally a cord was delivered to the room.

The room itself was called a "Jr. Suite," but there was no separate living room. I waited an hour in the lobby with my toddler for the free "upgrade" because they said the extra room in the living room would probably be helpful to us with the little one. I was horrified when I entered the room that there was no separation. I called and was told even the suites did not have a separate room (I never would have waited for just a smidge more space.)

The room smelled bad, had dirty carpet, and a very small bath (the door barely cleared the toilet.) Next stay I will look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We had a wonderful one night stay during August.
When I checked in a lovely girl at the front desk upgraded us to the VIP suite when I mentioned that it was our anniversary. We had really lovely stay, of course the rooms was gorgeous, the bed was gigantic, straight out of my dreams and we were so comfortable. I feel terrible because I forgot the name of the girl who checked us in but I would like to thank her and comment how friendly and helpful she and ALL the staff were. The pools is magnificient and very cool, it is both indoors and outdoors.
We will be back!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

My husband and I had a free hotel stay and enough Marriott points to bring two other couples with us to celebrate our anniversary. We called ahead to see if we could check in early and they said sure so we got there around 1PM, one of the couples room was ready so we changed into our swim suits and headed to the pool area. The check in associate told us she would call when the other rooms were ready. We had a few drinks and snacks and headed back to the front desk at 4PM. Room is still not ready. One of the other couples in our group called us from the elevator, it was stuck in between floors. They eventually got out and we got so frustrated with waiting that we asked for another room. It was a shame since they told us we would have connecting rooms.

We went out for the evening and came back around 9PM, headed to the lounge area and waited at a table. There were 6 of us, we waiting for 20 minutes and nobody came over to take our order. We just left.

The hotel did compensate us for the late checkin by giving us free breakfast. The breakfast was wonderful, top notch with an omelet bar and the standard Marriott faire.

Our room appeared clean but after I got out of the shower I noticed a lot of dark hair clumped into the corner, it wasnt ours. The airconditioner was so loud that it was hard to sleep.

Overall this was not up to Marriott standards but I guess its popular because it is right in the center of the city.

I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I recently stayed here and enjoyed the hotel quite a bit. Just a few things were atypical of a hotel of this caliber: no safe in the room meant lugging laptop around whenever we left the room. We could have left it with the staff at the front desk, but that should not necessary in such a professional hotel. The beds were not as comfortable as other Marriotts, or as the Westin or Hyatt. The room was wonderfully quiet though, with a nice view. The days we were there, the hotel was very busy, so a few housekeeping items were forgotten: soap in the shower (there was a bar of soap at the sink however), only 1 of two toilet paper dispensers were initially filled. The next day, there were no hand towels left by the staff during the day, but when I called housekeeping they cheerfully provided them 30 minutes later. The service in the restaurant in the evening was incredibly slow - 40 minutes just to get soup and a shrimp cocktail - and then the soup wasn't even hot. The next day, however, the service in the restaurant was exceptionally fast and we had the BEST hot chocolate. Mmmmmm! Lastly, the internet service in the rooms is on a clock that runs from 12 noon to 12 noon regardless of when you start service, and wireless was very slow in the room so that I had to use the LAN connnection. Most hotels that I have stayed in have a 24 hour access period starting from when you first initiate service. (It would be even better if the internet access was provided for free!) The phone at the bedside table wasn't working when we were there, but the one on the desk was.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Too far from home
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

This hotel had free parking and great shuttle service. Best service from any hotel over 6 days. Only 1 local beer on tap - and it was out.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Providence Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!