“A+ in every way! Hospitality through and through!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 13 hotels in Providence
Boston
“A+ in every way! Hospitality through and through!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband and I booked this hotel for May 13-15th for my birthday and a mini honeymoon. We were married in December 2008 and hadn't had a honeymoon yet. We booked on Priceline and got an amazing deal at $70.00 a night for Wednesday, Thursday, and my birthday which was Friday the 15th. I had researched tons of hotels and couldn't get a reasonable rate on a Friday night. I decided to wing it on Priceline for downtown Providence and got lucky with this jewel of a hotel. The cheapest I could find was $118 a night for weekday and $180 a night for Friday at other hotels.

First off while not in the center of downtown the hotel is on all bus lines, in walking distance to many attractions downtown offers, and offers shuttle service with in 1.5 miles of the hotel to anywhere in that radius, shuttle runs every 30 minutes, reserve space by contacting front desk or concierge. Shuttle runs until 11PM at night. Next another gem for this hotel is the free parking. Parking averages $20 or more at other competitive hotels in downtown Providence. They have ample parking are off both the I-95 and Route 146. They are only 3 exits and on same route as Twin Rivers Casino!

The night we entered the hotel check in was a breeze, we were given coupons for Twin Rivers which we intended to visit that ended up saving us tons of money. Took us 5 minutes by car on route 146 to visit Twin Rivers. We went out, gambled a tiny bit, won a tiny bit of money, came back to the hotel and ordered room service. The food while typically pricey for a hotel of this caliber was delicious, delivered quickly with a huge smile from a very nice gentleman. We found from the moment we entered the hotel until we checked out that we were always greeted with warmth, a warm smile, a warm hello, and an offer of "can I help you with anything?".

We went down to the bar for a drink, lovely restaurant & bar are located in the hotel. You will also find a pool and jacuzzi, and the pool which starts indoors goes outside as well surrounded by Cabana's from the new bar Aqua which we also visited the next day. Sun bathers seem to love the pool area indoor or out. When we came back to our room we found that someone had left a plate with a cover and an envelope next to it. At first my hubby and I thought someone had accidentally delivered room service again to our room. When we took the cover off the plate, to my amazement was this gorgeous display of 3 layered chocolate cake with chocolate mouse surrounded by large strawberries dipped in chocolate, whip cream, and "Happy Birthday" designed delicately on the plate! I was truly shocked at this. I opened the envelope to be shocked further to find a hand written card by the gal who had checked us in, wishing me a happy birthday and well wishes for our honeymoon. I know its a good customer service gesture. But I in all my years have never had a hotel do something so nice.

The next day we used the coupon the hotel gave us for Twin Rivers Casino for the comedy show. We had a blast!

About the rooms, We found the rooms nicely decorated, crystal clean, with wonderful beds. One of the best parts of this hotel is that its not spankin brand new so the walls are not paper thin! Yet everything has been updated and is lovely.

Inside the hotel is a lovely lobby, 1 restaurant, the Aqua lounge which we visited on their opening night, a small store with starbucks inside. Aqua offers pool side refreshments, a cigar smoking area for conneseurs, delicious gourmet food etc.

The 2nd day I had lunch in the hotel restaurant, food was delicious and to my amazement the bartender Gus (Waves at Gustafa) gave me my entire lunch for free for my birthday. Gus the bartender and Rachel the waitress are a delightful pair who pampered me to no end. It seemed other guests felt the same way too.

Same treatment the day of my birthday they gave me my drinks free. At every turn I was treated like royalty. My experience at this hotel was better than I have had at 5 star hotels such as the Ritz Carlton. While staying in what felt like luxury I wasn't paying a luxury rate and I was treated like I was at home.

Few suggestion I can make for travels: Stop at a local store and bring snacks with you. They are quite costly in the hotel. Visit Thayer street for off the beat places to eat, only minutes on the bus from downtown situation in beautiful Brown University district. Use the shuttle and leave your car at the hotel. Truly a breeze to get around.

Recommendations I can make for the hotel: Need a small table with chair in rooms for couples, for eating room service etc. I found only 1 office chair, and no other chairs for eating. Provide a 2nd computer in the business center so people don't have to fight or struggle over using the internet. Newer TV's would have been nice though what is in the room isn't terrible.

Only glitch we had the whole trip was static on the tv set which appears to have been caused by upgrades to the hotel. Technician came out immediately to try to fix it and offered to move us when he couldn't. We opted to stay where we were.

This hotel knows the meaning of how to treat people. When staying in Providence I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Westport, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

My job requires me to stay in Providence once a night weekly. I must say the staff has always been attentive and quick to handle even the smallest issue. Compliments to the management team Todd and Katie, on the ability to be professional without being stuffy, which is carried thru to the rest of the front staff.
The pool attendant , a part timer in her "70" I found out later, made sure I and other swimmers had fresh towels when we got out of the pool. She was also quick to to go and get a menu from the dinning room, all because I inquired if there was anything unusual on the it.
Room service is prompt and attentive. I highly recommend the open steak sandwich, my weekly choice.
Sure glad that I discovered this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

The pool is a great one, where you can swim from the indoors to the outdoors. It's small but really nice. The rooms are also a little small but nice. Everyone we encountered on-staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The web site seemed to say there was free wifi in the rooms, but I could only pick it up in the lobby. There's a computer room for guests to use too, but it was often occupied. Oh, I appreciated that the rooms seemed fairly soundproof--my kids can be loud, but you couldn't hear them through the walls, thank goodness. And though we stayed right near the Aqua lounge, we couldn't hear all the adults talking out there. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

On a recent trip to Providence, we stayed in this hotel near downtown Providence. We picked it mostly because of location to Interstate 95, which made it east to access from the airport, but also because we had to travel towards Boston, Newport and Connecticut, which means we could easily get where we needed to go. The only problem is that accessing I-95 North from just about anywhere in downtown Providence can be a major hassle. Doing so from the hotel is even worse.

As to the hotel itself, it's nice. The toiletries are of the fancy sort, an aromatherapy blend that look as if they are from Bath & Body Works. The room was nice, with a king-sized bed overlooking the courtyard area and the pool. Getting to the room from the lobby was a bit of a maze, but there was an exit to the upper parking lot that made this easier. We weren't told that by the desk staff, but we found our way there on our own.

Our first night there we found a martini social in the lobby, though we were told that there would be a seafood appetizer prepared by the person who checked us in. We would have preferred the appetizer (I think), but the martinis were nice. We never went back to the lobby after that first night because of the inconvenient hallway to access it, but I understand that they actually held events each night.

Internet access was obtained through a hardwired connection which is okay, but wireless would have been nicer. It would have been even better if it was free, rather than requiring a $10 per night fee. Another nice surprise was that the rate dropped on Friday and Saturday nights by about one quarter. No idea why, as the hotel seemed to be much busier on the weekend - you would think it would have been priced the other way around.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
HotelManagerMJ, Owner Representative at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2009
Thank you for your feedback regarding the Providence Marriott Downtown. We appreciate your positive comments and have shared them with our associates and the management. It is important for us to know what we are doing well so that we can continue to deliver memorable guest experiences. Please note that your concerns regarding access to our lobby have been brought to the attention of our Executive Committee for review to determine how we can improve in these areas and create better experiences for our guests. We hope you choose the Providence Marriott Downtown for your next stay in Providence.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

My husband and I spent the weekend in Providence and the hotel was fabulous. When we first arrived we thought that the hotel was a distance from all the "action" downtown and thought we may be disappointed, however, it was better than we expected. After we spent the day sightseeing through Downtown, Federal Hill, Waterplace Park etc...we found ourselves anxious to get back to our hotel for the evening to enjoy all it had to offer. The rooms were beautiful and spotless. The hotel pool is so cool - you can swim from inside hotel to the outside and be surrounded by a beautiful courtyard. The Aqua Lounge is awesome and exciting. The staff were friendly and check in and out was a breeze. If you are looking to celebrate a birthday or anniversary or just sightseeing in Providence, this hotel would be the place to go.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great feedback about the Providence Marriott Downtown and AQUA. It is so important for us to know how we are doing and we appreciate your comments. We will share your response with our associates. We hope you will visit us again soon. Please look for upcoming events on Facebook at AQUA Providence or visit our web site.
East Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

I travel to Providence frequently for business, and my son will be attending college there next year. We've stayed at several full service hotels in the city (Hilton, Westin, Courtyard) and this was our first time at the Marriott.

The Marriot will be our 'home' hotel from now on!

The lobby, pool, public areas are beautiful and well maintained. Our guest room was spotless, everything worked as it should (including the wireless) and the bed was great. Their pool area, which is newly redone, rivals those at some resorts we've stayed at. My room service dinner was just as good as our group dinner a few nights earlier in the restaurant.

But what makes this hotel shine is the staff. Everyone from the door greeter to the front desk, bartenders to room service, is willing to help, approachable, and knowledgeable about the area. Nothing phony or fake, you can tell they truly enjoy working with the public, and want to make sure you come back to Providence and stay with them again...which we will.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Brewster, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I've stayed at this hotel twice in the last few months, and have been pleasantly surprised both times. The rooms are nice, and of the 4 times I ordered room service during my two stays, all four experiences were very pleasing and the orders accurate/hot/on-time. I'm pretty particular, so that was a relief. I ate in the restaurant twice, and both times the staff easily accommodated my special requests. Thank you! I haven't been to Aqua yet, but it looks like it's going to be cool - can't wait to come back this summer! I booked the AAA package rate, which was awesome. Thanks!

Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
HotelManagerMJ, Owner Representative at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, April 29, 2009
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at the Providence Marriott Downtown. It is important to us to know that we are providing our guests with enjoyable experiences. We are also glad to know that you were happy with our AAA package. This continues to be a very popular package with our guests.
We look forward to sharing your comments with our associates. We also look forward to the season opening of AQUA on May 1st. Summer time is a great time to visit Providence - see you soon!

Been to Providence Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!