“Surprising Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars

$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Providence
“Surprising Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel staff demonstrated outstanding customer service during our stay at this hotel. Upon learning that the airline lost my wife's bag and all of her attire for a wedding, Jonathan in Guest Services sent a bottle of wine to our room along with a note offering any required assistance. After checking out, a Security Officer and Parking Valet used a hotel battery charger to recharge my rental car battery. Both of these acts left a very positive impression of the hotel and employees. The entire staff showed friendliness and courtesy. Additionally the rooms were roomy, clean, and comfortable. The breakfast buffet was delicious. Overall a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear frankb582,
Thank you for your 5 star review! We appreciate your positive feedback about our friendly and helpful staff. Also, thank you for your excellent review of the Bluefin Grille - our culinary team is award-winning! I will be sure to share your awesome comments about Jonathan and the help you received from our Security and the valet attendant. We look forward to hosting you again in the future. Thank you for choosing the Providence Marriott Downtown - see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

After reading Trip Advisor reviews I was a little wary I may not like this hotel that much since we are pretty fussy travelers - and usually stay in the #1 or #2 hotel in a city. However, we were lucky to get our room since most of the hotels were sold out because of the events in Providence this past weekend (Water Fire?). From the outside the property is well kept but does looks older - however inside is very updated and very warm and welcoming. Their lobby is very nice with many places to sit and there is a bar - which seemed busy. Its a fairly big hotel and it was busy the night we stayed.

The hotel staff was very hospitable and friendly - and we were impressed with Emily at check in ~ especially her professionalism and enthusiasm. I am especially in tuned to customer service and impressions that staff make in my own profession and took note on how nice she was as well as other staff we encountered. Our room was very nice, comfortable and clean - and we slept well. I would definitely stay at this hotel again - one more thing - the valet attendant & hotel shuttle is great too and taxis were easily available and inexpensive (it only cost us $4.00 to go the Mall on that busy Saturday nite). Keep up the good work!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear FrenIrishW,
Thank you for he awesome kudos for our hotel team! I will be sure to share your comments with Emily. She is very enthusiastic and takes the quality of our guests' experiences very seriously. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I debated between this Marriott and the Courtyard also in Providence. I chose this one because of what I read about the pool area and the free parking. It was a little pricey, but I figured we were saving on the parking. The hotel is nice, not amazing, but clean and the staff were friendly and the rooms were updated and for a city hotel a good size. Fortunately we were able to spend time at the pool lounge area in the evening and then again in the morning and that is what made our stay a little more special. I was not thrilled with the hotels location as i felt a little removed from the "hub" and perhaps the Courtyard may be a better location if you want to walk easily to restaurants and action. We still did walk to the Brown Univ. area, but it was a bit of a hike, and at spots kind of desolate. Having the shuttle get you places is a perk also, just remember to make a reservation!! Staff at the hotel were very very accommodating and nice (just like all the reviewers say), and this always adds to creating an enjoyable stay. Overall i would say it was a nice hotel but i would maybe try the Courtyard next time we are visiting Providence.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lisa H,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay. I appreciate the great comments you made about our awesome staff. Also thank you for reminding our readers about making a shuttle reservation. It surely helps to insure that everyone has a seat each 1/2 the shuttle departs. Walking up to College Hill is truly the best way to explore the East Side of Providence. I'm glad you had the chance to do that when you visited Brown University. Hope you choose our hotel the next time your visit Providence.
Madison, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is close to the airport and convienent to everywhere you may need to go. The Marriott has a nice gym and indoor pool area. When flying into or out of Providence stay here there are a lot of hotels in the area which are not as nice and cost more!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear jt73sac,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay and the 5 star review! We hope to see you again very soon!
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visited Providence, Rhode Island last summer (2012) and enjoyed it very much. Visited Downtown, Waterplace Park and a few other nice little gems from the map from the hotel. Good connections, near the malls and harbour and everyone very friendly. Rooms alright and staff very friendly. Would return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear SophieL438,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay with us. Our goal is to create brilliant travel experiences for our guests. Our service and friendliness are just a few of the ways we achieve that. We're so pleased to know you will stay with us the next time you visit Providence. We look forward to having you visit us again. Travel Brilliantly!
Manalapan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Well organized staff with a great sense of service and hospitality...catering and party/conference room needs were well met!!! The catering and corporate sales staff were very attentive and well organized..we will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear GAdamo,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Providence Marriott Downtown after your event. I will share your review with the whole hotel team. We're so pleased you had such a wonderful event and our team looks forward to helping you plan your next one.
aperry
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I really would have gave this hotel 2 stars but the staff was so friendly they have made up for all the downfalls.
PROS:
The staff! Jonathan, Roland and Sarah at the front desk! They were so friendly and this hotel is very lucky to have such wonderful people at the front desk. You don't find that very often. Also, Annie at the restaurant was very sweet! When she saw us at the pool the next day she came over to see my daughter. Autumn was our waitress at the pool both days and was working her tail off! Very friendly.

The scene.. The pool scene was great during the day. (If you can find a chair) Saturday there was a 2 piece band playing. My daughter loved it!

Breakfast.. They have a very nice continental breakfast and since we are Marriott gold it was free both days. There was a lot to choose from!

Fridge in room! Great when traveling with a child.

CONS:
Where do I start?
They do have free parking which is great but both nights when we got back to the room around 8 there were no spots. We drove around and around the lot for a good 10 minutes til we were able to find someone leaving.

The room.. Very small and outdated. Needs a facelift! We had a room poolside and the track for the sliding glass door was filled with little dead bugs. I found this out because my one year old handed one to me! I called housekeeping 3 times through out the day to have them clean it up and finally the manger of housekeeping came and I had to physically show him the bugs. He didn't seem apologetic at all. Just said.. Ohhhh these bugs? Oh ok we will clean it up. The toilet was also a little sticky. I used my one hand and face wipes to clean it up.

The first night there was a dog barking like crazy in the room next to us, I have stayed in many pet friendly hotels and usually they don't put guests with pets next to guests without.

Because we were next to the pool which is open til 11 it does get pretty loud at night. That I was ok with, it was the people outside my door smoking pot I was not ok with, my room was filled with the smell.

The pool.... was very pretty but when we were swimming in it we found a plastic knife, 2 band-aids, pizza crust and lots of bugs. They should have someone clean it in the morning and through out the day.

I probably would not have returned back to this hotel, but Sarah was fabulous when we checked out and gave us a free night which was not expected. So because of that we will give it a try when we come back to Providence.

Room Tip: We got a poolside room, easy access to pool but also loud at night and you can't lock your room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear aperry79,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your detailed feedback about your stay. While you had quite a list of issues, I am pleased with the positive points you identified - especially our associates. Our objective is to make your travel experience brilliant. While the issues you listed understandably effected how you rated our hotel, the positive ones were excellent. I will be sure that Sara, Jonathan, Roland, Annie and Autumn all know that you praised their service. Our indoor and outdoor pools are very busy in the summer. We have pool attendants caring for that area while the pool is open. I do apologize that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the pool. It is addressed multiple times throughout each day. All our poolside rooms have sliding glass doors to a patio that lock. If you choose a poolside room when you visit us again, please let us know if you have difficulty with the lock and we will assist you.
We look forward to seeing you again soon. We hope this time your experience is brilliant!

Been to Providence Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!