“Great Marriot hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Glendora, California
“Great Marriot hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is one of the nicer Marriott hotels I've stayed in, and I definitely was not expecting such a big hotel in relatively smaller city. I was unexpectedly greeted upon arrival with an invite to the manager's hors d'oeuvres reception and also was able to redeem some of my Marriott rewards points with a free appetizer. After a long trip getting there, I immediately call in for my free appetizer in the form of room service and got the baby clams -- it was surprisingly delicious and a large portion of it at that. I had a couple of hours to kill so I took up the offer on the free shuttle, and went to the quaint area by Brown University per the front desk's suggestion. I went to the manager reception later that evening as well as breakfast the next day, and both were amazing in their options and quality of food/drink offered. The hotel also has a large gym and salon (that offers everything from hair to nails and was quite busy). The only thing that makes me give it a 4 is that I got contradicting information about whether or not the shuttle went to the Medical Center I needed to get to the next morning, so they got me a cab. But when I got there, another interview candidate told me they were also staying at the same Marriott and just took the free shuttle (?). And also, the manager at the reception/breakfast was for some reason greeting everyone but me when walking in, which was a big peculiar. Other than those two incidents, it really was an impressive place to stay and get a good night's rest for a business trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear aarias814,
Thank you for your kind and quite detailed review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our culinary offerings - from breakfast to your room service order to the manager's reception. We are also happy to know that you enjoyed our complimentary shuttle service. i do apologize if there was some confusion about the availability for our shuttle. It may have been that there simply was not a seat available at the time you requested. In any event, we will review our route information with our front desk agents to insure we are communicating the same information.
We hope you have a joyous holiday season and that we see you again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Berlin, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Was greeted warmly when arrived. Staff was very pleasant and made follow up calls to be sure we received services we had called for. But room was tiny for two people, pillows were either very bulky and large or flat as if had nothing in then. Hotel was clean in the room as well as around the building (in & out). Room service arrived ahead of anticipated time. Pool warm and clean but whirlpool tub was scorching hot, too hot to sit in. Will probably stay in other Marriott properties in the area that have been more comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear cavedog117,
Thank you for bringing to our attention that our service was excellent and that your room service order was right on time. We also thank you for bringing some items to our attention. Our guests' feedback is critical in delivering exceptional guest experience. And we cannot do that without your help.
Our Engineering team tests our hot tub and pools' temperatures throughout the day to insure that it is to standard and comfortable for our guests. We do apologize that you found it to be too hot. That must have been a disappointment. I would love it if you could contact me so that I could find out what sort of pillow you prefer so we can add it to your profile. Then we can be sure to have just the right ones in your room next time you visit. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again. My email is: jdahler@marriottprovidence.com
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for an accounting conference. Overall, it was a very nice hotel. The room was clean, comfortable, and big enough for two people. The hotel has a shuttle service if you want to go somewhere in the city and they will even come and get you when you are ready to go back to the hotel. I found this service incredibly nice since I came to the Providence without my car.

My only problem was the hotel's restaurant. I had lunch in the restaurant, which is located in the lobby. I had the lunch special, which is soup, salad and grilled cheese. Soup was cold, grilled cheese was cold and greasy. Overall, it was just bad. If you go to a gas station and buy a canned chicken soup, some cheese and bread, you can prepare a better lunch than this.

Regardless, I would stay at this hotel again, and recommend it to a friend (not the restaurant though).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Seda61,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us. We were so pleased to hear that you enjoyed using our complimentary shuttle service. Our drivers work hard to not only get our guests where they need to go in a timely fashion but also share a bit of information about the area when they do.
I spoke with our restaurant team about your experience. Please contact me directly at jdahler@marriottprovidence.com I would like to discuss this matter with you when you have the time.
Warwick, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I recently stayed here with my parents. The service is great. Everybody we met did a wonderful job to make us feel welcome. This hotel just needs a renovation. It's an older and you can see corners cut to make it look newer. There was 1 roll of toilet paper in the room (c'mon now you always have two). The carpets felt old but maintained. From my reviews you can see most are positive, and for the most part this property would be. This hotel is however touted as 5 star, therefore I'm reviewing against what I would consider 5 star. The Mariott Courtyard located near the Mall is fabulous. This is also located a little bit from actual downtown. It's behind the state house. It's a good 5-10 minute walk into the actual downtown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear RhodyPhotographer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your with our TA readers. We strive to provide extraordinary service and from your response, it looks like we made the grade with you and your parents. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to see you soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I recently attended an event there.. the staff is very friendly and accommodating, the ballroom is quite large.. it can easily hold 30 round tables (obviously, less with a dance floor).
The bar at the Bluefin Grille offers nice people-watching.. The outdoor bar Aqua is a really nice in the summer.
Two of the advantages with this property is free parking and the shuttle to downtown/Federal Hill areas.
Disadvantage is that although walkable.. it is a bit off the beaten path in relation to downtown. There isn't anything right outside your door.

Room Tip: Because it is near the highway, request a room that faces the front of the property
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear MakeupArtist40,
Thank you for your awesome comments about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback. Our Bluefin Grille is a hidden treasure in Providence and we're glad you enjoyed your time there. Thank you for noting that we are within walking distance to many restaurants and shopping. These places might not be right outside our door but within a 5-15 minute walk. Hope to see you again soon.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a quick 2-night business trip to Providence and spent a good deal of time actually in the hotel experiencing its amenities. I was in town for a meeting that was being hosted at the hotel.

The service staff here are quite nice and eager to please. You get the sense they are making the most of a bad situation at this property, offering chocolates at check-in and so on. That's appreciated and it is the only highlight of my stay here.

The public areas of the hotel have been recently renovated and that's pretty clear. The rooms and corridors, on the other hand, are downright shabby. This feels like more of a 1980s-era mid-range hotel than a modern Marriott. To top it off some of the rooms face the freeway resulting in more in-room noise than one would like. Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel to avoid that issue.

I am generally pretty easy to please with hotels and put up with a lot - it's not home, and rarely will be that comfortable! - and have maintained a short list of things that are downright annoying:
- Connecting rooms - why, oh why, can they not put better insulation in rooms with connecting doors? I should not be hearing my neighbor's conversations or listening to him/her pack at 4am, arranging plastic bags in his/her suitcase before loudly zipping it up. I always ask to get re-assigned when I see that dreaded connecting door but sadly, the hotel was sold out so I was stuck with it. Fortunately he/she was a quiet sleeper or I would no doubt have heard the snoring.
- General room insulation - there just isn't any excuse for paper-thin walls in a hotel of this caliber. That you might expect in an older Holiday Inn or Comfort Inn but not at a Marriott property. It truly leaves you in a bad mood to hear all of that shuffling and noise all night.
- Bad window insulation - see my note about rooms facing the freeway. The windows here are older and do not sufficiently drown out street noise or freeway traffic. If you are a light sleeper this could be a particularly frustrating night for you.
- HVAC - unlike most modern hotels, this one has the old wall unit in each room. Very loud and I decided to bundle up for a cold evening rather than turn it on.

That said, I did experience free parking and free wi-fi while I was here (not sure if that was related to the meeting rate for my room or is standard for all guests). This property is not really in downtown Providence; it's north and next to a gas station. Thus, for the reasons above and its poor proximity to restaurants and such I would definitely not stay here again. It feels exceptionally dated and lackluster, more of a motel than a hotel and not especially comfortable for the business traveler.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the freeway (on front of the hotel)
Dear SFO-World-Traveller,
Thank you for your detailed comments about your stay with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our free parking and WIFI - available to all our guests. We strive for top-notch service and you seem to have noted that in your review. We are located within walking distance to many area restaurants and shopping. However, one may use our complimentary shuttle if they prefer not to walk. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Providence.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Overall the staff has been very friendly. We came out the train station and walked to the wrong marriott and without hesitation she called the van and he picked us up within 5 minutes no charge. The hotel has some updates, but not all. Some corners have been cut and it shows. It looks like an older hotel with some renovations and it has the potential to be something better. Rooms are good size and over all clean. I did not care for the bed and the tv was having problems with keeping a signal. The pool area is nice and goes outdoors as well. The walls are paper thin. I could hear everything the room next to use. At six in the morning I thought the person was in our bathroom getting ready thats how close it felt. Based off price and value I can not compare as I have not shopped around for prices or reviews.

Dear lgp112,
Thank you for your feedback about the hotel. We are constantly improving our property and we're pleased that you saw our improvements. Our service is exceptional and I noted that you rated it as such - so thank you! Hope to see you soon.

Been to Providence Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!