“Was not NEAR what we expected!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Providence
New Hampshire
“Was not NEAR what we expected!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We chose this hotel because it had some of the highest ratings...what are people's standards, these days? When we arrived at 4:30pm, one and a half hours AFTER the check-in time, we were told one of our two rooms was not ready. I asked what time check in was and I was told, "3pm but there's a Hockey Tournament group staying here as well." I'm sorry, but what does that have to do with your housekeeping department not having my room ready? We were given a $20 discount on the room, which we paid $189 a night for to begin with. When we pulled up to the hotel after driving through the ghetto for what seemed to be 30 minutes, I was shocked to see the location of the hotel. We were about a 10 minute drive from downtown Providence, not within walking distance of anything at all besides maybe a KFC. When we got into our rooms (adjoining), the bathroom is outdated, looks like housekeeping does not pay attention to detail when cleaning, and is the size of a small closet, literally. The sink drain had something crusted into it, the paint near the bottom of the door frame was old and peeling, and the shower had mold and mildew grown into the tile grout. It was disgusting. The bed was large but felt like sleeping on a piece of plywood. The comforter cover feels like it is made of some kind of water resistant plastic, and the pillows are huge and impossible for anyone to lay their head down on. I have been in many hotels before and I would even rate the Quality Inn in Great Lakes, Chicago, as being cleaner than this room. I have stayed at Courtyard by Marriott in Orlando, Florida and that hotel outdid this one by many, many miles. The adjoining room was the same story, so this tells me we didn't just have an isolated bad experience. We didn't use the pools or any other amenities, we only stayed for one night but when I visit a hotel, cleanliness and comfort are priority over the amenities.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Jen_PVD, Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Dear houdelin,
I do apologize for your experience. It's not a good way to start off your stay and intensifies everything else along the way. If you would like to contact me directly, I would like to speak with you about your experience. You can email me at jdahler@marriottprovidence.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
New Bedford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Free parking! hard to find in Providence. Staff very friendly to kids, one of ours mentioned she likes the receptionists New Years hat...and they gave her one!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Jen_PVD, Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear Babyruth16,
Happy New Year! Thank you for your excellent feedback about your stay. We are the only hotel in Providence that offers free parking - so yes, it is hard to find unless you stay with us! Thank you for your kind words about our staff. We strive to create exceptional guest experiences for the folks that stay with us and your comments just prove that we are reaching that goal. Hope to see you soon! PS: Glad you liked the hat!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

As a Platinum member we got a concierge room. Since it was Brown's family weekend, the hotel opened up the concierge for breakfast. While it was crowded, we were able to sleep well. My only complaint was that we inquired about the shuttle going to downtown Providence and never received a call back. I understand the circumstances of a busy weekend, but that is poor customer service especially from a full service Marriott.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Jen_PVD, Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear Dnumgis02,
I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us over Brown University Family Weekend. That is a busy weekend in Providence and it's good to know that you had a restful experience at our hotel. I'm not sure what the disconnect was with our communication about our complimentary shuttle but I do apologize if you felt that we were not responsive. Next time you are visiting Brown/Providence, please be sure to let us know when you need the shuttle (reservations required) and we will be happy to get you to where you need to go. We hope to see you soon and you'll be excited to hear about our new City Advantage program (discounts and guest benefits throughout the city) when you check in. Hope to see you soon!
Narragansett, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Stayed here in Sept. for a conference, and was not overly impressed. I tend to seek out Marriott because they do not usually disappoint me, but this one was just blah! Staff were not overly friendly, decor is drab. Room is clean and bed nice, but overall smaller than what I am used to from Marriott. Seems like this place is an afterthought! It is not downtown either! You have to risk your life crossing major roads filled with crazy Rhode Island drivers to get to downtown where there are great shops and restaurants. You need a cab to safely get there from here. Felt like I overpaid to be underwhelmed....

Room Tip: Ask for one at the opposite end of the hall as the elevator
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Jen_PVD, Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Dear Mary H
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at our hotel. I apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations. I like to think of Providence as rather pedestrian friendly. Next time, you certainly should utilize our complimentary shuttle service to avoid any pedestrian situations like you experienced. We are happy to take you where you need to go - anywhere within a 1.5 mile radius of the hotel. Hope you have a very Happy New Year and hope you will give us another try soon.
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We drove some friends from Cape Cod to the Green airport in RI and we decided to stay over night and watch the Patriots down town Providence. We chose the Marriott for a couple of reasons, it was downtown and it was part of our Marriott Rewards. And one more reason, there was free parking. And one more thing, they drove us to our destination to watch the Pats Game and most important, they picked us up. Noooooo Driving. Awsome!

From the time we walked thru the front doors till we checked out, well, the service was outstanding. Our fist encounter was with Roland on the front desk a recent graduate from Johnston and Wales. We knew after just meeting him for the first time how much he enjoyed working for Marriott and he so was a people person. But he was just the first in a long line of Marriott family we met. Rachael, Estelle and the manager of the courtesy van, (sorry his name slips my memory), all of them showed from their smiles and help that they so enjoyed working at the Down Town Marriott. We both were so impressed with their help and suggestions that we have now booked our New Years Celebration at the Marriott.

The Marriott should be extremely happy being represented by these employees.

We could not recommend more highly the Marriott in Downtown on Orms Street.

Tom and Kathy

Room Tip: Choose a room away from train tracks...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear CapeCod080,
Happy New Year! Thank you for your fabulous comments. I have made sure all associates that you mentioned have been told about this review. WE also feel that the art of good, no...excellent service has not been lost. We strive to achieve this every day. We are extremely happy to be represented by the associates you mentioned. They are awesome role models to our team!
Hope to see you again very soon and hope you enjoyed your New Year's Eve.
Charleston,SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I booked this hotel for my 50th reunion using Marriott Rewards, so I have obviously stayed at a lot of Marriotts. With the exception of the J.W.Marriott in LA (which is a different class of Marriott), I have never had a more pleasant stay at any hotel. Staff went out of their way to accommodating in what must have been one of their busiest weekends of the year.If they keep up this good work, they will surpass the JW's and Ritz-Carltons soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool-side view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Jen_PVD, Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Dear TheFoodLegend,
We are thrilled that you had such an outstanding experience at our hotel. It's great to hear you had such a good time with us and at your 50th reunion. I will be sure to share your feedback with our hotel team. Comparing us to a JW Marriott is such a great compliment! Thank you! Hope you enjoy the holiday season and can come visit us again soon. Happy Holidays!
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We stayed here for one night while visiting relatives. It's well located downtown, but right near the I-95. Our room was facing in that direction, and there was some traffic noise. Light sleepers might want to request a room facing in the other direction. The room was very clean, and well equipped, but the heat seemed to be independent of the thermostat. We had to turn off the system because the room was warmer than we prefer. The shower was hot and strong, but the bathroom was somewhat cramped. I think the web site still says that there is a charge for internet service, but in fact it is now free. There's a nice indoor/outdoor pool (which we didn't use) and a workout room (which my wife used).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear FredRNewYork,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We're so pleased you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. We also thank you for your feedback about your stay. Indeed, we do offer complimentary wireless.
We hope you enjoyed your visit with your relatives and will be visiting us and Providence again very soon. Happy Holidays!

Been to Providence Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!