“A great B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Court Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Providence
Old Court Bed and Breakfast
144 Benefit St., Providence, RI 02903 (College Hill)   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Providence B&B and Inns
Le Marche, Italy
“A great B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

We arrived in the middle of a blizzard, and were given a warm welcome. Max, our host, supplied all of our needs, and his employees were always helpful and pleasant. The room, including the double bed, was very comfortable. We were in the Empire Room, on the ground floor, which is smaller and more simply furnished than some of the other rooms, but it included all we need for our one-week stay. The home-cooked breakfast was always delicious.

The B&B is located in a lovely historic neighborhood. It's walking distance to Brown University, the Rhode Island School of Design (with a good museum and fantastic museum shop), restaurants, and shops.

We were visiting my daughter who lives in Providence. My five-year-old granddaughter wrote her own review:

"Very comfortable ... nice wallpaper ... hard to open." (That was because my husband had turned the key the wrong way in the lock; it really wasn't hard to open at all.)

If my daughter stays in Providence, we will definitely return here when we visit her.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

The Old Court B&B is in a great old house in the historic district of Providence. It's a perfect location, in walking distance of Brown, RISD, and downtown. My husband and I stayed here for two weeks on business, and the owner and staff were quite welcoming and accommodating - they made it a very pleasant stay. The breakfast room is comfortable, and the breakfasts were good. Our room was large and well-appointed, the bathroom was good, and the bed was fine. I much prefer to stay in a real historic house in a real neighborhood rather than a pre-fab, plasticized hotel surrounded by parking lot.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

My partner is a huge Lovecraft fan, so there was no possible way we could have stayed anywhere else. We wouldn't have wanted to! We stayed in the nightingale room, whch had a fantastic view! The place was historic and gorgeous, and the literary significance made it more special. A fantastic location - we did the Lovecraft walking tour, which was great. Also handy to Brown. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was impressive!
The only issue was a very noisy air conditioner (which we reported and has hopefully since been fixed...?), that did disrupt our sleep a bit.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Carmel, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Location of the Old Court could not be better - close to the historic areas of Providence and within walking distance of many good restaurants. Our room was very comfortable, and the breakfast was great. The staff was extremely helpful. Over all a good choice and excellent value for money!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Pinehurst, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

The staff was friendly and helpful. My 17 year old stayed there by herself for two weeks to attend a course at RISD. I came up to visit at the end of her stay. It is in a very nice, safe neighborhood. The B&B is ideally located for RISD or Brown University. The breakfast (included) was excellent.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I thought this was a decent B&B. It is old-fashioned and has a vintage feel but it basically has everything you need. The breakfast was fine. The location is great - right near Brown and RISD if you are visiting for graduation - walking distance to both.
Won't blow your socks off but well priced option for Providence.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I stayed at the Old Court for one night while visiting Providence for a job interview. Luckily, my room was paid for by the potential employer, since this would have been out of my price range otherwise. However, for your money, you get a lot, and to some people, it might be worth the price.

My room was on the third floor (walk-up), but I didn't mind. I had a beautiful view of the State Capitol building and downtown skyline. My bathroom was a bit small, but nice enough. The was large with a rather old-fashioned brass bed, not plush by any means, but comfy enough for my needs. I used the wireless internet, which worked well. The building seemed to have rather thin walls (like old buildings do), and sometimes I heard other guests talking on the phone. The stairs were creaky-- definitely felt like an old house. It was winter, and the heat worked fine-- I wasn't cold at all.

I had breakfast downstairs, and it was delicious, and omelet, I think. There was also a large range of cereal, fruit, milk, juice, other things. The cereal, milk, and juice were available 24/7 in a fridge in the dining room for guests to help themselves, which provided me with a nice little late-night snack the first evening.

Location is what makes this place, whether you're doing something downtown, at Brown, or at RISD, you're pretty close to the center of things, without the need to necessarily cross through the chaos of Kennedy Square to get over to College Hill (as you would need to do from the Biltmore or the Westin). Benefit Street is too beautiful for words. Given the snow during my visit, I was grateful to be in close walking distance to everything I needed.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I needed to leave my luggage during the day, and they happily made space for it in a hidden corner of the office. Also, I needed to print some documents, and when I asked the person at the desk about finding a Kinko's, she immediately stopped her work and told me just to print on their computer-- no charge. I was very pleased.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Old Court Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!