“ideal location, but a bit pricey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Court Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Providence
Old Court Bed and Breakfast
144 Benefit St., Providence, RI 02903 (College Hill)   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Providence B&B and Inns
Norfolk, Virginia
“ideal location, but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I stayed at the Old Court for one night while visiting Providence for a job interview. Luckily, my room was paid for by the potential employer, since this would have been out of my price range otherwise. However, for your money, you get a lot, and to some people, it might be worth the price.

My room was on the third floor (walk-up), but I didn't mind. I had a beautiful view of the State Capitol building and downtown skyline. My bathroom was a bit small, but nice enough. The was large with a rather old-fashioned brass bed, not plush by any means, but comfy enough for my needs. I used the wireless internet, which worked well. The building seemed to have rather thin walls (like old buildings do), and sometimes I heard other guests talking on the phone. The stairs were creaky-- definitely felt like an old house. It was winter, and the heat worked fine-- I wasn't cold at all.

I had breakfast downstairs, and it was delicious, and omelet, I think. There was also a large range of cereal, fruit, milk, juice, other things. The cereal, milk, and juice were available 24/7 in a fridge in the dining room for guests to help themselves, which provided me with a nice little late-night snack the first evening.

Location is what makes this place, whether you're doing something downtown, at Brown, or at RISD, you're pretty close to the center of things, without the need to necessarily cross through the chaos of Kennedy Square to get over to College Hill (as you would need to do from the Biltmore or the Westin). Benefit Street is too beautiful for words. Given the snow during my visit, I was grateful to be in close walking distance to everything I needed.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I needed to leave my luggage during the day, and they happily made space for it in a hidden corner of the office. Also, I needed to print some documents, and when I asked the person at the desk about finding a Kinko's, she immediately stopped her work and told me just to print on their computer-- no charge. I was very pleased.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

As others have said - it is an older but clean place to visit.
Breakfasts were excellent and filling with no complaints here being a big breakfast eater.

We had to go for some quiet strolls even though the weather was frigid - if we find our way back to this area again - we will consider staying here.

• Liked — Attention to our needs
  • Disliked — Everything was fine
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

My husband and I spent two nights at the Old Court. Since there were no other guests the first night (midweek in early December), Chris offered us a free upgrade to a larger room. It is an old place but very comfortable. Breakfast was good - omelets, eggs Benedict were offered. The parking lot was small but no problem for us.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

I had the misfortune of booking a reservation at this B&B but then cancelling it due to the fact I was moving house that weekend.
I contacted the B&B the month before but unfortunately did it by phone and not E-mail.
I received a call the night I moved which was also the night we had previously reserved Despite the fact I explained to the desk person my situation, I was told they had no record of my cancellation and they charged me $220 for a no show.
I find it sad that this place was so unwilling to compromise or to give me some leeway .
Apparently in some places the almighty $ is more important than good will and customer relations. Quite pathetic .

Stayed August 2007
los angeles, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2006

What a great place - unbeatable location on Benefit Street for beautiful walks. Our room was large & well appointed, clean & comfortable. We had low water pressure one morning but it was great the next. Breakfast was FANTASTIC! Staff were very friendly & helpful, giving good local recommendations. Yes, the parking is compact but what do you expect when you're right in the thick of an old city? We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ridgefield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

If you enjoy old B&B's you will like this. It is nothing fancy but the staff was friendly and the room we had was very large. Bathroom was very old but clean. Breakfast was included, it was decent. We were visting are daughter at RISD and they were nice enough to let her and a friend join us for breakfast at no charge ( nice touch). It is located on the nicest street in providence right near Brown & RISD.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2002

Well "old" is sure the word you would describe this place (its about ten years over due for renovations) that my wife and I stayed at this past weekend in downtown Providence. The beds were horrible and rooms dingy and in need of a paint job to say the least. The brass bed we stayed in was horrible and the breakfast was FAIR. The innkeeper was less than friendly and the parking was really bad if you have a nice car do not park it here do not go here. The only good thing was well its on a lovely street, Benefit St. But that is it. it is the only saving grace. I definitely would not stay again.

the brass bed we stayed in was

Been to Old Court Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!