“Loved the jack-o-lanterns, but the wait...not so much” 3 of 5 stars

401-785-3510
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 63 Attractions in Providence
Type: Natural History Museums, Observatories/ Planetariums, Gardens, Parks, Zoos & Aquariums
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: Drawing visitors from across New England, this zoo is home to more than 1,000 animals from around the globe including polar bears, tree kangaroos, moon bears and giraffes, all on display in natural settings.
Valparaiso, Indiana
23 attraction reviews
“Loved the jack-o-lanterns, but the wait...not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was in town by myself and I thought this would be something fun to do. I wasn't prepared to stand in line for 90 minutes to see my first carved pumpkin. I'm not sure how parents with little children did it. I would recommend getting there early, I arrived at 645 and it was packed. I would also recommend the premier parking. It was totally worth the $10. When I left cars were lined on both sides of the main road prior to the entrance. The pumpkins were amazing and I took lots of pictures. You must be patient with people and be prepared to go with the flow as you start in two lines, but it gets alittle disorganized moments when the pumpkins appear. If you are a AAA member, make sure to have your card as there was a discount. I didn't have mine and paid for price, $12. I do wish I would have eaten one of their red velvet cupcakes. They looked amazing! Bundle up, get a snack, relax and take in the atmosphere.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
“Jack O' Lantern Spectacular”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This review is specifically for the Jack-O'-Lantern Spectacular. I went on a weekend night, arriving at opening time. Apparently my friends and I were not the only ones visiting. Weekends are VERY crowded. There was some traffic just getting into the park, and no signage once inside. After purchasing tickets we were told that it would be an hour and 15 minutes until we reached the trail. The next hour was similar to waiting for a roller coaster, basically standing in place and moving very slowly.

There are vendors offering food & souvenirs. Perhaps the best was the pumpkin ale in a cinnamon dipped cup.

Now for the Jack-O'-Lanterns: I have to say the displays were very impressive. The carvers did an excellent job. Some pumpkins are traditionally carved, others resemble paintings. The start of the trail was very croweded, so I might advise skipping ahead a bit to the less crowded parts.

Would I go again? Yes, but not on a weekend. I would highly recommend visiting on a weeknight earlier in October when you can see the Jack O' Lanterns at dusk.

PS: AAA card holders do get a discount

Connecticut
6 attraction reviews
“Nice to see the pumpkins but not worth the long wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We visited The Roger Williams Zoo Pumpkin Spectacular on Saturday October 19th 2013. We had purchased the buffet dinner for 25.00 that allows for front of the line entrance to the pumpkins. The buffet was good with hotdogs, hamburgers, turkey, mashed potatoes, mashed butternut squash, pulled pork, stuffing and squash soup. There was also soda, water, coffee, hot cider, hot chocolate and water. All the food was of good quality and while seating is a bit crowded we did not have any problem finding a seat at a picnic table. All items were refilled before they were empty.

We arrived about 5:00 and had no problem parking in the general lot. We had pre-purchased tickets and had no delay in entering the buffet. Once we had eaten we were then escorted into the spectacular again with no wait.

We left the event about 7:00 and the line to enter was huge. Cars were actually backed up onto the highway about 3 miles. While this is a nice event it is good to arrive early or the best suggestion is to purchase the buffet for 25.00 and have the front on the line access.

Rochester, New York
32 attraction reviews
“Not impressed by this zoo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Okay, so we visited in October, so we expected the zoo to be scaled back a bit. However, we did not expect to pay full price, yet find 90% of the shops and concessions closed, a lot of construction going on, and many exhibitions off limits. We felt like asking for 1/2 price after leaving here, and definitely felt let down considering the rave reviews this place gets. Our 11-month old son did love the up close experiences with the giraffes, but that was the highlight of a pretty drab visit.

Springfield, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
“The "Museum" and zoo need help”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I know people rave about this place so I will simply make it brief. The zoo is strictly for kids. Over 400 acres in this place and even though the reports are of clean exhibits, for the larger or free roaming animals (3 elephants, giraffes and red wolf and bears) their cages are woefully inadequate for the size they need to be comfortably houses. DO NOT GO ON A WEEKEND ..It is too crowded...There were no lectures about animals extinct or in danger in the wild. Just the usual signs in front of cages...The only trainer or personnel we saw was a man trying to get an elephant to perform....I hope in the future, all the confinement areas will be enlarged.

The museum is more like a few rooms with exibitions, Posters on the wall of comets and planets....A man tring to talk above the screaming kids about fossils.....You can get thru it in 15 minutes for adults.....For kids under 8 its fine....
There was a great and scary lack of security..kids climbing over railings and thru fences to get alook at animals and noone around except staff emptying garbage cans...
We left not seeing the gardens or the rest of the park....too crowded..we also could not get a full map of the park at the museum..we were shown a piece of paper but no hand out to know if we could walk or had to ride to the gardens or other attractions....