“The Last Place to Stay in Estes Park” 1 of 5 stars

Twin Owls Motor Lodge
700 St. Vrain Ave., Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
Chesapeake, Virginia
“The Last Place to Stay in Estes Park”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The review of May 5, 2013 by darnell472 really said it all, except I did think that any port in a storm was still better than none at all. However, I was wrong. The amenities list should say: 'Don't expect anything and you'll not be disappointed." When there's still a vacancy at 10pm on a holiday weekend, that should tell you something, anyway. The only real surprise is that the temperature never got above 57°F in the room during my stay, When I asked about the hot tub advertised on the hotel sign out front, the desk clerk said that it might be open tomorrow, but they had other things to do today. $87.50 was the most I EVER paid for a place I would not recommend to my least favorite relative! There is one good thing I have to say about the Twin Owls: they had boxes & boxes of free samples in the lobby. Oh, and a great view on your way out.

Room Tip: Choose a room at least 1,000' from the hotel office.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

After staying in this lodge last weekend I would never stay again and would never recommend anyone else stay there either. Estes Park should be ebarrassed for visitors that stay at this lodge.

We paid for two rooms, one was for my parents and it was embassing, I wish we had just lost our money and stayed somewhere else, these are the issues they came with:

The toilets would not stop running
The towels and linens were yellow and dirty
One room had a fridge the other did not
No ice during winter schedule (we were there May 4 and 5)
There was hair in and on the beds
Ceilings looked like they were going to crash down as you slept
No smoke detector in one room
No shampoo or conditioner in fact no ammenities whatsoever
Room was musty, nasty, and run down
Tub had cracks and stains as did the floor
Staff was unfriendly, unpersonable, and extreemly unconcerned with guest requests and complaints

The pictures and advertisements on all travel sites are not what you are actually getting when you stay there.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY

Room Tip: Stay somwhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had driven through Estes Park many times and saw this place on the side of the road. The name itself is very inviting. I knew this was going to be a far cry from a normal hotel, but hey, I'm adventurous, and decided to give it a whirl. My dad was actually in town so we each got rooms here. I am not surprised by anything... there were some teenagers in the room right underneath ours who had a keg party. They were not too loud, but when I woke up, beer cans were everywhere and a chair from the room had been thrown in the bushes. The front desk staff was very odd and English was definitely not their strength. There is NO DEAL to be had here. Our rooms were about $120/night. In my opinion, it was worth $30/night. The towels are like sandpaper, there was no toilet paper, and the bars of soap smelled disgusting. The TV is really small and far away from the bed. There was no remote, either. The only good thing about this place is that it's in a really convenient location, close to town. I don't think I'd ever stay here again.

Room Tip: I'd try and get a room on the upper level.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We were looking for a budget friendly room and them pics looked ok on the website. The lobby looks great from The outside especially at night, with the twinkly lights and snow all around. Don't be fooled though! We got two queens, came in and thought it was ok. pulled the covers back no fitted sheets, just a top sheet laid over the mattress with another sheet and old blanket. Not having a bottom fitted sheet is gross because every time you move your body is touching the old mattress and no telling what is on it! Paint peeling on walls, ceiling fan off track amd makes awful noise! No alarm clock, moldy shower curtain, rub doesn't drain well, toilet is very hard to flush, windows molded , chairs about to break down..the List can go on.

• Stayed December 2012
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We spent two very comfortable nights in this motel. Alright it is dilapidated and run down but the beds were comfortable, everything worked, it was clean and there was plenty of hot water. Bedding was changed and there were more than enough towels. We picked it because of its nearness to the main shopping street and we also had good views and elks walking in front of our window one morning. It is also cheap!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

During Scotfest 2012, my wife and two kids [toddler and infant] stayed at the Twin Owls Motor Lodge. I didn't book the room- my in-laws did, long before we decided to join in on the trip- and, based on so many of the other reviews here, I wouldn't have if it were me. In fact, when they let us know where we'd be staying, I came straight to Tripadvisor and looked it up... to my horror. =)

We'd stayed in a room which I didn't rate particularly highly in Glenwood Springs earlier this summer and were wary of old, run-down places with questionable cleanliness, and seeing the many, many 'terrible' ratings, we actually came prepared to camp out instead if the room were nasty. We didn't camp out.

I can only speak for the room I stayed in, and it's entirely possible different rooms reviewed by others are just as gross as they say, but our room wasn't bad. We were on the upper floor, closest to the highway, and it was roomy, comfortable, and relatively clean. There was some debris under the bed [dust bunny-type, mostly], the walls, floors, beds- pretty much everything- was well-worn and old, but we weren't disgusted by any means.

For the price and the proximity to the festival we were there for, it really wasn't bad. Condition-wise, what with the age of the fixtures and amenities, the rating probably would be closer to 'poor', but overall, again considering the cost and location, it was workable.

I would advise going in expecting the worst, just in case, but if you happen to get the room we stayed in, I think you'll be alright with having chosen Twin Owls.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Got to the hotel and we could barely understand management, her English was horrible. She told us that the National Park didn't have tours anymore for the season, even though we saw the tour bus go into the park. We were on the second floor on the end, the stairs looked questionable as to rot. The pool was closed and it had slime in it. When we got to the room, the room was covered everywhere with dead bugs. We went to the bathroom and pulled back the shower curtain, the tub was full of water with a soaked towel floating in it. The worst part was there was no heat, my kids got cold very quickly. We tried to turn the heat on, because it was 60 degrees in our room. Then my boyfriend walked across the carpet and his foot sunk into the rotted floor that they covered in carpet. All that combined, I called the front desk and told her to meet me in the office. When I tried to explain that her rooms were revolting and I didn't want my family to stay, she tried to offer another room, at which I refused and demanded a refund. When the refund came up she came up with excuses as to why the room was so nasty. I had to tell her if I didn't get my refund right then, that I was going to call the Estes Police. Needless to say I got my refund and we ended up staying at a beautiful hotel called Rocky Mountain Park Inn

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Twin Owls Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!