“Two very comfortable nights” 4 of 5 stars

Twin Owls Motor Lodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   700 St. Vrain Ave., Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Two very comfortable nights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We spent two very comfortable nights in this motel. Alright it is dilapidated and run down but the beds were comfortable, everything worked, it was clean and there was plenty of hot water. Bedding was changed and there were more than enough towels. We picked it because of its nearness to the main shopping street and we also had good views and elks walking in front of our window one morning. It is also cheap!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

During Scotfest 2012, my wife and two kids [toddler and infant] stayed at the Twin Owls Motor Lodge. I didn't book the room- my in-laws did, long before we decided to join in on the trip- and, based on so many of the other reviews here, I wouldn't have if it were me. In fact, when they let us know where we'd be staying, I came straight to Tripadvisor and looked it up... to my horror. =)

We'd stayed in a room which I didn't rate particularly highly in Glenwood Springs earlier this summer and were wary of old, run-down places with questionable cleanliness, and seeing the many, many 'terrible' ratings, we actually came prepared to camp out instead if the room were nasty. We didn't camp out.

I can only speak for the room I stayed in, and it's entirely possible different rooms reviewed by others are just as gross as they say, but our room wasn't bad. We were on the upper floor, closest to the highway, and it was roomy, comfortable, and relatively clean. There was some debris under the bed [dust bunny-type, mostly], the walls, floors, beds- pretty much everything- was well-worn and old, but we weren't disgusted by any means.

For the price and the proximity to the festival we were there for, it really wasn't bad. Condition-wise, what with the age of the fixtures and amenities, the rating probably would be closer to 'poor', but overall, again considering the cost and location, it was workable.

I would advise going in expecting the worst, just in case, but if you happen to get the room we stayed in, I think you'll be alright with having chosen Twin Owls.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Got to the hotel and we could barely understand management, her English was horrible. She told us that the National Park didn't have tours anymore for the season, even though we saw the tour bus go into the park. We were on the second floor on the end, the stairs looked questionable as to rot. The pool was closed and it had slime in it. When we got to the room, the room was covered everywhere with dead bugs. We went to the bathroom and pulled back the shower curtain, the tub was full of water with a soaked towel floating in it. The worst part was there was no heat, my kids got cold very quickly. We tried to turn the heat on, because it was 60 degrees in our room. Then my boyfriend walked across the carpet and his foot sunk into the rotted floor that they covered in carpet. All that combined, I called the front desk and told her to meet me in the office. When I tried to explain that her rooms were revolting and I didn't want my family to stay, she tried to offer another room, at which I refused and demanded a refund. When the refund came up she came up with excuses as to why the room was so nasty. I had to tell her if I didn't get my refund right then, that I was going to call the Estes Police. Needless to say I got my refund and we ended up staying at a beautiful hotel called Rocky Mountain Park Inn

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Never, NEVER, have I stayed at a motel as horrible as this! If you like towels that are stained (yellow) . . . if you like no coffee pot, hair dryer, shampoo, or any other amenities you would expect from the cheapest motel you can imagine, well, this is your place! The first room we were put in reeked of smoke so badly we neither my wife, or I could breathe in it. The lamp shade was filthy and the room was unbearable. Would have left to find another motel, but there was a Scottish Festival going on and there were no other rooms in Estes Park to be had. I told the owner we could not stay in the room we were given and she put us in another room that at least we could breathe in, but the stained towels, etc. were to follow us! The television was at least color . . . Green on the entire top portion of the screen and totally red on the bottom! The beds were reminiscent of marble slabs. Nice touch on the bathroom door . . . someone had kicked a hole in it and in lieu of replacing the door, why not simply put a 12" x 12" piece of plywood over the hole and call it a day? The shampoo was a one of those "give away" samples in a foil envelope. Want a bath bar size soap for the shower? . . . forget it, you get a tiny facial soap so just make do!

I travel extensively and can understand "economy" motels, but this was simply a case of the owner taking your money and giving nothing in return. Dirty and Horrific!!! As the old "Lost in Space" television show used to warn . . . . "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!!!!!" Stay away, travelers, stay away!!!!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our first indication should have been the missing number on the door. Upon entering, we were treated to intense smoke and animal urine stench. The bedding had burn holes and stains of unknown origin. The carpeting and upholstery on the chairs were very stained. The wall had a yellow splatter stain...( oh God ), and the ceiling fan had black dirt all over the blades. I found a Corona bottle cap on the floor. We stayed the night out of desperation ( it was a holiday weekend ), but I told the owner we wouldn't be staying for our second night. She said she could only refund us 75%....ok fine with us. The kicker was the next morning, I found a bed bug crawling on the pillow. Oh yea....all this fun for $112 a night and they didn't even have a coffee pot in the room. Did I mention the swimming pool ? It was covered in green slime and there was a lawn chair at the bottom. It obviously hadn't been maintained for weeks, yet the sign out front advertised a heated pool. The best thing that could happen to this property would be a bolt of lightning and a slow to respond fire department. Thankfully we found another motel for our second night and the weekend was salvaged.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a good room in the place
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

DISGUSTING! They need to be shut down. Rude, and hard to comprehend with staff. No hot tub. The river is cleaner than the pool. Room super hot no air conditioning and ceiling fan that was ready to fall. Bed had only a cover sheet and blanket. Mattress and pillows old and flat. Non smoking room and burn stains all over the carpet. Walls very dirty and two holes put in them. Bathroom grossest thing in the whole world. Bottom of tub black, hair on the wall, ceiling and floor. Mold on shower curtain. Cauking badley needed. Sink and mirror dirty. Towells old and thin. Everything smelled awful hint to them keeping all the windows open. No alarm clock either. Vacuume wouldn't hurt all the dust either. Do not stay here! I will nvr let my husband book things again!

• Stayed September 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This place is a DUMP! Dilapidated hotel, towels were very old, black hairs on pillow cases and in bed, rooms were dirty. I wish I had read reviews before I booked this hotel. Worst hotel I have ever been in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Twin Owls Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!