“Could be better, could be worse” 3 of 5 stars

Twin Owls Motor Lodge
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   700 St. Vrain Ave., Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
Boulder, CO
“Could be better, could be worse”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

This is definitely a low-end budget option: rooms are sparsely furnished and the whole place is rundown, plastic cups floating in the pool, room smelled like either smoke or bad air freshener. However if you want a reasonably priced room for only one night in the summer, the options in Estes Park are very limited. For $99 it wasn't the worst place we've ever stayed: hot tub was nice and the location is excellent.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I would strongly advise people to pay the extra money for someplace else & stay FAR AWAY from the Twin Owls Motor Lodge in Estes Park. I spen the day at Rocky Mountain National Park on the Saturday just before Memorial Day, & came back to my motel room to find that the cleaning service had helped themselves to using MY DVD player that I had brought, & watched one of my DVD's. The DVD was a new one, never played, but now it has scratches! The windows had also all been left open, & I was on the first floor, so all my personal belongings were left unsecure for the whole day that I was gone. Finally, when I spoke to the motel owner, I received absolutely no reaction, no offer of a refund, or maybe worse, an apology might have been better. Therefore, a motel that can be so careless with security & one that helps themselves to using anything of their guests personal belongings without permission is definitely NOT a place to stay at.

• Stayed May 2011
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Save yourself a nightmare. First the room stunk! Asked for no smoking. What the heck smelled? Bed was hard. Carpet was dirty. The towels looked like someone shined their shoes with them, old worn out, stained. BLANKETS. WHAT A JOKE. THEY looked like moving blankets, or one you WOULDN't put down for your dog. No kidding. Thank God, I had a blanket in my car. Room was cold. No pressure on water. Hot water took about 8 minutes to reach the room I was in. No circulating pump for hot water. What a nightmare. I was exhausted and glad to get the hell out of that place. One good thing. Lady at desk seemed kind. Big Deal. They have made their money and now simply don't care.
Peeling paint, outside steps crumbling and rotten. Outside landscaping neglected. Don' let the panoramic picture of this motel FOOL YOU!! DIANA V.

Room Tip: Perfect! Saddle and Surrey on VRAIN AVE.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Lakewood, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

They are good quality rooms when you wake up with ants in your bed. Also was charge an extra charge for internet and handling fee of an extra twenty dollars. Not curtious about refunding you when you don't use the room. I was charged 176.00 to stay for one night. Horrible business.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
McKinney, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

For the price in the Rocky Mountian National Park area this was a great find for us. With the apperance of a cute mountian lodge and quite a nice place for my kids and dog to play out back, we had a great time at the TO. There are no bells or whistles, but we were very comfortable and rested for our trip to the park the next day. We were told our dog would be an extra $10, which we didn't even get charged, and at AT LEAST $30 less that everwhere else, it was great!

P.S. They don't offer WiFI outside of the lobby, but we were able to get an unsecured connetion in our room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lakewood, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

The place was very run-down. The walls were stained and the wall paper was pealing. The bathrooms and towels were dirty and stained. We stayed in the room with the private hot-tub which was the biggest waste of money. It is a jet tub in a closet and it was dirty and had hair in it. We didn't even use it because we were so discusted by it. This is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

This place is really old and run down. Like most of the lodging in Estes Park, it's old, but others are remodeled or updated. Not here. Summer is tourist season and lodging is scarce. They charge $100+ for a room. Most lodging was sold out. I got a $95 on Expedia. What a waste.

It's still hot during the day and they have no AC, just a portable swamp cooler. The swamp cooler make a huge racket, and didn't work. When I complained the manager claimed it worked "yesterday." Offered me a double with AC in back, but we decided to rough it knowing it cools down to high 50's at night. But no circulation. I fixed the swamp cooler but it was so loud and created so much humidity I left it off.

The place needs a lot of remodeling. The toilet leaked, the hot tub was dirty, no vending machines, rooms had outdated furnishings, carpeting, sheets, and furnishings were stained and soiled, "white" towels needed bleaching - they were yellow and stained, mattress was hard as a rock (and I like very firm mattresses. There was a blanket covering the mattress under the sheet. I guess this was their idea of a mattress pad? The pool seemed OK, but we didn't try it. The picture on their website of the hot tub is from another place - no way from this place.

This place would be OK if you only wanted to spend $60-$70. But they can demand higher prices because of the demand for lodging here. Budget Host Motel, had the same price and looked much more modern.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Twin Owls Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!