“Enjoyed our stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Estes Park
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“Enjoyed our stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband surprised me with a short get away on Christmas day. After a short drive from WY, we ended up at the Stanley Hotel. I was excited and the stay was great. The best part was Scary Mary. She loves what she does and it shows. She was a great historian and has a special gift. I am not a ghost skeptic but did not expect to experience anything unusual. About half way through the tour, my husband and I were lagging behind and finally caught up with the group, when Scary Mary announces, that the spirit she was feeling wanted to thank the nurse. She asks, looking around if there was a nurse in our group. My husband was a little spooked I think but it was awesome. I am indeed a nurse and there was no way that she or anyone else there would of known that. I loved the extra perk of the ghost experience and will stay again sometime. The rooms are small but well kept. The only thing that bothered me was the smoke detector in RM 1221was missing and you could see the wires. I filled out the card that is left in the room for such things but forgot to take it to the checkin desk on checkout. All in all, a great experience!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. Scary Mary is truly a pleasure to have here as a tour guide and I am glad you had great experience on her tour. Also, thanks for pointing out the smoke detector in that room so we can make sure to address it.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in room 230 at the Stanley Christmas night. When we arrived at the room it was a very uncomfortable 82 degrees. The front desk said they would send up an engineer while we had dinner at the Cascades. After dinner, they said they turned off the heat. The temperature never got below 73 degrees all night and that was with an open window. To make matters worse, my husband ended up in the bathroom all night as a result of something he ate at the Cascades restaurant. At checkout, we received a modest apology and the removal of the cost of the drink we had at the bar off of our bill. Given the miserable night we had due to their faulty heating system and poor hygiene in the restaurant, I really think they should have comped us the room. I couldn't wait to get out of there and will never return. Stay away from this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for the comments regarding your stay. Our kitchen is proud to boast the highest ratings of cleanliness on our state inspections and we are extremely careful in how our food is handled. Most food borne illnesses take a minimum of six hours to incubate.

I am happy to hear that the heat did get shut off and came down to a modest temperature of 73 degrees as the hotel is on one main heating system. The Stanley is a historic hotel and does run off base board heating so it is not direct control like most modern systems.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me jfreitas@stanleyhotel.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Right from the start..I was skeptical when we checked in. Very highly trafficked by Ghost Hunters at what seemed like a constant barrage of tour guides and flashes from cameras. Checking into a room in July/August that has no a/c was a bit of a concern following full days of multi-mile hiking in the mountains. All of this trepidation washed away within the first 24hrs! The staff in both the Hotel and Bar were excellent! With all of the travelers flowing through, within a day or two- the concierge, waitstaff and desk all greeted us by name. We literally felt at home after a day and thoroughly enjoyed both the Ghost and History tours during our stay. Guest rooms/suites and bathrooms are larger then most places we've stayed (HUGE in comparison to our recent European travels) with very nice finishes, very comfy mattresses and tons of "exploration space" available during your down time. We will definitely stay again during our next trip to Estes Park!

Stayed August 2013
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your stay with us. I am very happy to hear we were able to overcome any skepticism about staying here and that you were able to enjoy yourselves. We look forward to having you back this coming summer!

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I first need to disclose that I am jaded by my romantic love of historic hotels... Can't help it. So when I see worn carpet edges, sagging ceilings or dated bathroom fixtures - I only smile. Not to say that's what you'll find at the Stanley. The exterior is indeed a bit gray around the edges... But the interior is extremely well maintained! Just beautiful lobbies and food and beverage outlets. Shoot-- any hotel with a Stanley Steamer in the lobby ain't all bad! I was so smitten that I returned for a drink and a bite at the bar later that evening. But BEWARE! The "wall O whiskey" is tempting, and one could get in big trouble here from the cool brands and wide variety. Alas, I succumbed to the FO Stanley - a cross between a Manhattan and a Sazerac. Some excellent mixed nuts to munch on with were Malaysian in flavor and spice. And the 'house smoked' turkey wrap - really is! I detest mediocre sandwiches- and this was fantastic. Rather excellent bar fare! The bartenders were cordial, friendly and knew their stuff. The mix of locals and visitors provided great conversation a leading to a much longer time in the Lounge than planned. No matter; as some would leave the bar to enjoy the ghost tour (another great story), newcomers slid in and the chatter continued. I for one can't wait to be back!!

• Stayed December 2013
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you for the comments on your recent stay. Sounds like you had a great stay and really enjoyed the variety of food and drinks we offer at our Cascades Restaurant & Whiskey Bar.

We look forward to your return trip!

Everett, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We are from Seattle, WA. We stayed at the Stanley hotel Fri 12/13, leaving Mon 12/16. The staff were all super friendly and helpful. We took the Stanley hotel history day tour and Stanley hotel night ghost tour, both with Scary Mary. She's incredible! So fun and great with the spirits in the hotel. She's actually the reason we booked our trip as a friend did a tour with her and loved it. The security officer working evenings at the hotel was also super friendly in sharing his experiences, loved chatting with him! The hotel itself was very beautiful. The town of Estes Park was lovely, so Christmasy in December, it was great! We stayed in 428 the first night- experienced some strange unexplained noises and heard a voice in the room. We stayed in 407 the second night- we didn't experience anything in this room. We stayed in 418 our last night- we experienced someone moving the covers in a "peek a boo" type fashion on my bf's face, then felt impressions in the bed with us. Loved the rooms, all were super clean and comfortable- I was actually surprised as reading some of the reviews on here I was worried they'd be super small and uncomfortable. Great beds, awesome pillows, beautiful bathrooms, loved all 3 rooms! Note that over the weekend, we did get many people walking by our haunted rooms taking pictures of the door, this didn't really bother us as it stopped after midnight, but JFYI if you are an early to bed type of person- you can hear them talking in the hallway when they come by your door. The hallways can be loud. During the day, we actually drove back to Denver (just a 90min drive) to see the Denver Zoo one day, then the Denver Downtown Aquarium the next day. Was a great way to drive through some of the towns around Estes Park and do some fun activities in CO. We were really nervous about snow in December, but it was blue skies and sun our entire trip. Looked liked it snowed before we got there, but the roads were really well plowed. Though the haunted rooms are expensive, it was fun. We will definitely be back to visit the Stanley again...

Room Tip: Haunted rooms not near main staircases are quieter as they draw less tourists :P If possible, stay...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thanks for the comments about your recent stay! It appears you had the ultimate fourth floor haunted room stay, getting to try each one out. Glad to hear you had a fun time and had some experiences!

We hope you come back to stay in 217, 401, and 1302 in the future!

Monument, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Had a wonderful wintery night's stay. However beware of the paranormal activity . Seriously, I have never been personally engaged however I became a believer in an instant - when I personally witnessed my room lamp turn itself off before my very eyes when I was standing 15 feet away from it. And we're not talking about a burned-our filament either - I went to the lamp and turned the knob on the socket and turn the thing back on. Freaky ! Excellent whiskey bar, great food. Nicely appointed room. Would recommend to anyone brave enough. We've already re-booked for next spring,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thanks for the comments on your recent stay. Sounds like you had some fun stories to tell. Always interesting when things you can't explain occur.

We look forward to having you back in the future!

Omaha, Nebraska, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Stanley was the only thing my friend and I had planned for our trip. We worked hard to get there; fighting through delayed flights, begotten car rentals, snow covered mountain roads! It was every bit worth it. The location of the hotel is perfect, the area is quite and nestled in the mountains. The view from the hotel is breathtaking.
We took the historical tour (which does include some talk of ghosts), that tour took us all over the main building and into the concert hall. To learn of what F.O. Stanley accomplished was inspiring. The food was incredible-especially the cheeseburger and the chipotle eggs Benedict.
The style and luxury of the hotel was unlike any other. The only part that was a bit discomforting was how cold it was! But, the staff was very accommodating by providing us with a space heater for our room.

Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thanks for the comments on your recent stay with us. Sounds like you went through a lot to get to us and we appreciate you making the effort to stay at our hotel. Our chef does do an awesome job with all our food in Cascades and I am glad to hear you learned about the hotel on our Stanley Tour.

We hope to see you back in the future and thanks for staying with us!

Guest Services Manager

Been to Stanley Hotel? Share your experiences!