“Not for the meek....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 29 hotels in Estes Park
Monument, Colorado
“Not for the meek....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Had a wonderful wintery night's stay. However beware of the paranormal activity . Seriously, I have never been personally engaged however I became a believer in an instant - when I personally witnessed my room lamp turn itself off before my very eyes when I was standing 15 feet away from it. And we're not talking about a burned-our filament either - I went to the lamp and turned the knob on the socket and turn the thing back on. Freaky ! Excellent whiskey bar, great food. Nicely appointed room. Would recommend to anyone brave enough. We've already re-booked for next spring,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thanks for the comments on your recent stay. Sounds like you had some fun stories to tell. Always interesting when things you can't explain occur.

We look forward to having you back in the future!

Happy Holidays!

965 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Stanley was the only thing my friend and I had planned for our trip. We worked hard to get there; fighting through delayed flights, begotten car rentals, snow covered mountain roads! It was every bit worth it. The location of the hotel is perfect, the area is quite and nestled in the mountains. The view from the hotel is breathtaking.
We took the historical tour (which does include some talk of ghosts), that tour took us all over the main building and into the concert hall. To learn of what F.O. Stanley accomplished was inspiring. The food was incredible-especially the cheeseburger and the chipotle eggs Benedict.
The style and luxury of the hotel was unlike any other. The only part that was a bit discomforting was how cold it was! But, the staff was very accommodating by providing us with a space heater for our room.

Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thanks for the comments on your recent stay with us. Sounds like you went through a lot to get to us and we appreciate you making the effort to stay at our hotel. Our chef does do an awesome job with all our food in Cascades and I am glad to hear you learned about the hotel on our Stanley Tour.

We hope to see you back in the future and thanks for staying with us!

Palos Verdes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We have visited the Stanley many times but only for lunch and dinner. I decided that we had to stay in Room 217, the haunted room made famous by the Stephen King novels. On a tour of the hotel we were told stories of strange occurrences experienced and that Jim Carrey refused to stay in the room, let alone spend the night in the hotel. So we decided to see what all the fuss was about. Well it turned out that our stay was uneventful as far as paranormal activity was concerned. The room was well maintained, spacious and nicely furnished. The large king size bed was comfortable. A large writing desk sat in one corner and a comfortable reading chair in the opposite corner. The only down side was the lack of shower facility. The bathroom has a claw foot tub and a hand shower so a sit down shower was in order, otherwise the bathroom proved adequate and clean. The hotel in general is well maintained and the staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: by all means go for room 217 and perhaps you'll have a paranormal experience. The Room is on the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. Always a fun experience to stay in room 217, even without the paranormal, since it is a nice large room. The claw foot bathtub is something we have kept over the years to match the ambiance of what Stephen King would have experienced.

Hope to see you back again in the near future.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I recently broke a month long work visit to Denver by taking a short break at the Stanley. Estes Park is an absolutely beautiful place at the entrance to the Rocky Mountain National Park and the Stanley, high on a hill overlooking the township, is the dominant building in the area. The hotel is quirky with Stephen King's "the Shining" reputedly inspired by the hotel. The furnishings around the hotel are very good. The rooms are not large but are adequate and the bathroom was a good size. Service is efficient but a little abrupt at times. This was particularly the case at the hotel's restaurant, "Cascades", where the service was adequate, if a little patronising. The food was good but probably not what would be expected given the prices.

However, any minor concerns about the hotel become irrelevant as soon as you look out any of the windows and take in the views of the awe-inspiring Rocky Mountains. This is good, rather than great, hotel but I would return tomorrow given half a chance.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Glad to hear you were able to get a break from work and come visit us. It is quite the view from the hotel here! Thanks for the feedback on your stay as we are always striving to improve our service.

Thanks for staying with us.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

First of all, the scenery is gorgeous. The hotel is very impressive and in a great location. The rooms are quaint and charming. For the most part clean, although my son dropped a toy under the bed and it didn't look like it had been cleaned in years. Most of the employees were incredible warm and helpful even starting with making the reservation. I think the lady who made my reservation on the phone was named Lindsey, and she was SO kind and professional and took her time to help me and my family find the perfect room. She even gave great suggestions of where to go and eat in town (of course we took her suggestions and she was totally right!). The check in went smoothly and Lindsey even came out to greet us personally which was such a joy. She even gave my 4 year old a frisbee! The only complaint I had at all was when we checked out, there was a guest checking out next to us who had an issue with their bill, and the gentleman "helping" her was being very rude. I believe he kept telling her that he was the guest service manager, as it that gave him the right to talk down to a guest! Thank God we were checked out by the lovely red-headed lady who couldn't have been more polite.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I am glad to hear you had a good stay and that the staff was able to take good care of you. These comments do go a long way in improving our overall service.

Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you back in the future!

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed at the main building of the Stanley for a friends wedding. The grounds and the hotel are just lovely! The staff was polite but not overly warm (but as long as they aren't rude I'm fine). There are lots of interesting and beautiful pieces around the lobby because they clearly want to play up their role in The Shining (they even play it 24/7 in your room).

My only real gripe is that our room was located right next to a ghost tour stop. It was really awkward to be going in and out of our room for the Rehearsal dinner, ceremony, reception, and so on, and there would be 20 people standing right there. I feel that the staff should have at least mentioned it during check-in. It likely wouldn't have bothered me then (possibly even amused me).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for the comments about your recent stay. We are glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and had fun at your friend's wedding. The tours are not suppose to stop on the guest floors for the reason stated, so we will make sure to follow up with all guides about that.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Ok, I admit up front I haven't yet seen "The Shining" (now I need to), but even without that connection, I enjoyed my visit! The hotel was in great shape for being over 100 years old. The room was small (understood for that age of hotel), but the bathroom was decent sized.

We took the ~1.5 hour "Night Ghost Tour"--that was a fun experience, and helped us get a bit of the history of the hotel, too (other types of tours are available, all for a fee)--and I think I see some orbs in my pictures!

The onsite restaurant did not have any open tables, but we went in later for drinks and dessert--they looked to have an impressive selection of alcohol, if that's your thing.

The concert hall was beautiful--plan your trip to include a concert (likely extra fee).

Room Tip: The fourth floor has the most ghostly visitors...room 217 also has more!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. Glad you were able to take a Night Ghost Tour and get some drinks in the restaurant. We do host Estes Park's Winter Music Festival here that features different classical musicians on Sunday, usually in the concert hall.

Hope to see you back soon!

Guest Services Manager

Been to Stanley Hotel? Share your experiences!