“Nice honeymoon” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 29 hotels in Estes Park
Yucaipa, California
“Nice honeymoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon here the first week in November. Estes Park is a gorgeous town, with breathtaking mountain views. The Stanley Hotel stands out above the rest. They rely much on Stanley Kuberick's version of The Shining, with Red Rum mugs, tees, etc. The restaurant Cascades is good, but has a small menu and is very expensive. Their cafe leaves much to be desired, cheap but not fresh. The room was clean, and a good size. The water in the shower is a little dysfunctional though, the hot side is either cold/luke warm or burning hot. There are many restaurants nearby, downtown and an excellent one, the Mountain Home Café just a five minute walk near the Safeway grocery store. Overall, it is a beautiful old hotel and we had a nice honeymoon. Didn't see/hear any strange noises though, so I don't think it's haunted, but it's nice nonetheless.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. We will definitely look into some of the points addressed here. We are happy that we were able to host you on your honeymoon and I invite you to return for many anniversaries in the future! Congratulations!

993 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Leicestershire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at the Stanley hotel in August as a stop between Denver and Steamboat Springs. So impressed were we that we will be returning next August. This is a wonderful place to stay - full of character and charm with magnificent views over the Rockies from all angles. It would be hard to beat the peacefulness of sitting sipping cocktails on the deck as the sun sets over the mountains beyond.
Our room was full of character, and we loved the fact that they have not tried to 'over-modernize,' so that the creaking wooden floors added to the feeling we were part of history. Where else can you stay in a hotel where guided tours were a part of the atmosphere? It made us feel very special as we climbed the wonderful staircase past the sign saying 'Residents only'.
We dined in the restaurant in the evening and the meal was great, with no problems accomodating my gluten-free needs. Staff were attentive, charming and interesting both in the restaurant, and throughout the hotel.
If you want hi-tech, Philip Stark modernism this is not the place for you. But if you want to stay in a place you will always remember then this is perfection.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I am glad to hear you were able to cross us off your bucket list and we look forward to your return in August! See you soon!

Whitehouse, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My sister and I recently stayed a night in the Stanley Hotel...I was pleasantly surprised by the charm and beauty of the hotel...I had been told that it was in need in updating, but did not find this so at all. Our guest room (room 415) was quite small but charming with the antique bed nestled under a small alcove. The bathroom was roomy and updated and there was a large closet in the bathroom. The TV was a very large flat screen and we enjoyed watching "the Shining" late into the night...The staff were very friendly and helpful and they got us in on the last historic tour of the evening (which also included ghost stories)...We did our own ghost hunting but had no adventures (except for several orbs captured on film). The next morning we awoke to the site of the beautiful mountains and a herd of about 50 elk grazing on the front lawn. As we were leaving a nice Aussie couple asked if we had had any encounters. When we replied that we had not they proceeded to tell us about being awakened in the early hours by a child yelling and of having toys moved. It was obvious they were convinced of the haunting and the man said he had never experienced anything like this...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. Sounds like you enjoyed all the fun parts of the Stanley Hotel. The stories we hear every morning never cease to amaze even us. We hope to see you back in the future!

San Angelo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had a 6 day stay at the Stanley over Halloween. It was a good stay, but the staff was not as friendly as I would have thought they would be. The guy who checked us in was curt and not helpful, and no one that we ran into was as nice as the people we met in the community. The housekeeping staff was always giggling and not very professional. The room was nice but not as historical as I would have thought it would be. The hotel and grounds were beautiful though. The view can't be beat. We can't wait to go back though, but won't expect the hospitality we did this time.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. We definitely hold our employees to a high standard for guest services and these comments go a long way in correcting that. We look forward to having you back in the future and as a hotel, we will improve on your experiences with the staff.

very rural Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

A must see when visiting the Park and Estes, but not so sure about staying overnight! Our deluxe "renovated" room in the Lodge was cramped .... a lovely King bed, luxury linens, LG flat screen and high speed free wi-fi. But could barely get around the bed in the very small room and the adjoining tiny bath was sad. Pedestal sink, not even a place to put the toothbrush, aged 4x4 tiled bath, vintage shower curtain. Chilly in Estes Park in early Nov so the property had turned the heat on. Hallway must have been 85 degrees. Heat off in the room but thermometer registered 79. Opened both windows wide plus tiny bath window. Sweltered through the night; temp down to 74 by dawn.

That said, the property, gardens, staff, classy bar, and lovely restaurant wowed us. The community is recovering from a devastating flood and every single person we spoke with was lovely and just glad to see things getting back to normal. The elk were bugling in the park and you owe it to yourself to see this place!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for the feedback on your guestroom. We will communicate these suggestions to the appropriate departments. Glad you had a good time and were able to get out in the community and see the elk come around! Hope to have you back in the future!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Stanley was everything I hoped it would be. A beautiful stately hotel, it must have been really something to see before all the condo's were built behind it. Of course, I went for the ghosts and when there Ghost Hunters Academy was also there filming. When I made my reservation (months in advance) I requested to be on the infamous most haunted 4th floor. I asked about the nightly rate for the Stephen King room and that was way out of my price range and you had to book that room a year in advance.

My room was very nice and on the TV The Shining plays all the time, no matter when you choose to watch it. I thought the big screen TV spoiled the historic charm of the room, but I realize most people feel a TV is necessary - I would have been happy without it. Went on the ghost tour run by the hotel and in the basement you can view props from Mr. King's mini-series The Shining. I chose to walk down to the town for meals and I must say that the altitude does make that difficult. There are elk everywhere.

Night time was fun, scary and interesting. I took my camera out into the hall and started to take pictures, all of a sudden the battery drained while I was holding it in my hand - yikes! This was a brand new battery, no reason for it to drain except ... it was a bit erie to watch that little battery icon go from green to red in a matter of seconds. I took many photos, and believe I got some interesting shots. Many times late into the night there was the sound of running feet down the hall, but when I rushed and opened the door there never was anyone around. One night I kept hearing noise like furniture being dragged across the floor above me - I was on top floor and the attic was above. This was very late at night, the front desk said it had many calls from guests complaining about the noise, but no one was up there moving anything.

All in all it was a great stay and the "haunted" Stanley Hotel was everything I hoped it would be. My opinion - it is definitely haunted.

Room Tip: The hotel is vintage, no shiny glass and chrome. If that is what you like this isn't the place f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. Glad you have seen us in some of the paranormal TV shows and were able to stay on the haunted floor. Sounds like you had some interesting stuff happen too, which is always fun! Hope to see you back in the future!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Yes, I'm a Stephen King fan but I also like Grand Old Hotels. This was a bucket list item and I stayed on Halloween, so fun. The hotel is exactly what I expected, grand old style that you just don't see made anymore. I was upgraded with no warning which was great after a very long drive from Boise. The bar and dining facility in the hotel were fantastic, during my stay I had drinks, dinner, and breakfast. For what you get the prices were very reasonable and the service was outstanding. The Whiskey Bar selection is beyond impressive. The price of my room was also reasonable, you get an older style room with all the modern needs filled. Nice TV, iphone charger, and a very modern style bathroom that was done in a way that doesn't hurt the charm. The ghost tour was fun and on Halloween it can't get much better. The Steamer's Cafe is a great place to get coffee very early in the morning with a good selection of snacks to go along with it. I highly recommend The Stanley Hotel because it was a great place to stay and I love the idea that I'm helping to keep it alive and running.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. Glad you enjoyed all the amenities of the hotel and had fun on a Halloween Night Ghost Tour! Hope to see you back in the future!

Guest Services Manager

Been to Stanley Hotel? Share your experiences!