“Not the "grand old hotel" I was expecting” 3 of 5 stars

Stanley Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Wonderview Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517   |
Ranked #15 of 29 hotels in Estes Park
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not the "grand old hotel" I was expecting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

If you are visiting The Stanley for the ghosts our paranormal experiences you may be satisfied. It is old and a bit spooky looking. If you are expecting a grand old hotel in the tradition of The Grove Park Inn, Hotel del Coronado, or The Sagamore, you may be disappointed. I thought that's what I was paying for.

Our room was on the 4th floor in a dormer and was tiny. The bed was under the eaves and the person on that side of the bed had to be careful of the sloped ceiling. The bathroom was tiny as well. I once toured an old school where cloistered nuns had lived and the rooms reminded me of the sisters'rooms. Plus we sort of had to find our way from the parking lot across a ramp to a second floor door, then the elevator to the forth floor to our room. I did not figure out until the last day that there was a spa on site. I think they need a good marketing/customer service person. There also seems to be a lot of underutilized space, perhaps a hotel consultant could be of use.

The weather was unseasonably warm for October and our room was very warm even with no heat on. We kept our window open all day and night even when the evening temps dropped into the 30s. We were in the main building and I understand that the Lodge has been renovated. I did not go in there, maybe I should have. The main house seems to need a lot of renovation but perhaps that
would spoil the "spooky-ness". On the positive side, the rooms and hotel seemed clean and coffee in the basement shop was good.

• Stayed October 2013
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your stay! These comments help us a lot with improving our product here and we are glad you shared with us. We hope to see you again in the future.

989 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The best time in a quality hotel! The bar was so fun and the energy was great- the ghost hunting added so much to the visit.The room was nice and slept very well, the staff was helpful and Estes Park shops were nice. In addition the elk were in the front yard as well as the RMNP!

Room Tip: The fourth floor was alot of fun with lots of ghost energy!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your stay! Glad to hear you had fun at the Cascades Whiskey Bar, ghost hunting and seeing the elk come up to the hotel. We hope to see you again in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Gorgeous historical hotel. Absolute gem and they offer tours, so a day trip is a great idea. The hotel is also very popular and active for ghost hunting. They offer ghost hunting tours and Lisa Nyhart, the ghost tour director, is amazing. Definitely recommend this location for a tour - day or night.

Downside: overpriced, underwhelming rooms. Ok amenities. Terrible service, bar and food.

Had to call three times when booking the room because they never sent me a confirmation email. First two times they had lost my reservation.

We stayed five days for a paranormal/ghost hunting event. Bar tender (woman with black spiky hair) was rude & unhelpful. When I ordered chicken fingers, she couldn't comprehend what chicken fingers were, then tried to tell me they didn't have any. I asked the other bartender who said, "Of course we have those." Came back 20 minutes later to pickup the order and the first bartender had never placed the order. Later that night she made our drink with call whiskey after we had requested Jack, and tried to charge us for the Jack. Multiple event attendees also mentioned to us that they had overheard her making fun of the event and attendees with other patrons.

Food is overpriced and tries to be gourmet, but is just overdone. Nothing normal on the menu at all. Cafe downstairs is absolutely atrocious. They were trying to pass off a slab of packaged flatbread bought at the Safeway and some lunchmeat thrown in the microwave as a gourmet sandwich. I've attached a picture of the sandwich to this review. Really embarrassing.

There was ice on the back patio for two days and it was never marked or salted. It looked like a puddle. I fell, and saw three other people fall on it as well.

Overall touring experience was absolutely amazing. Just don't recommend staying or eating here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your stay. I am glad to hear you had fun doing the paranormal investigation with Lisa! She is a great part of the team here. I was disappointed that the Cascades restaurant and the rest of your stay did not go as expected. Please feel free to email me directly at jfreitas@stanleyhotel.com to discuss further.

Carmichael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

From the moment we checked in we received excellent guest service. It was a family trip and we made sure to see as much of the property as well as the town as possible. The tour guides we had made the history of come to life and we decided Hannah is now part of our family. Every member of the staff went out their way to make us comfortable. This is definitely a trip our family will be taking again.

Room Tip: Come ready for good times and explore the town of Estes, you will find great people and even better...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your stay! Glad to hear you had fun on your tour and Hannah is a party of our family, so you can all be part of the Stanley family, now. We hope to see you again in the future!

Johnstown, Ohio, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Well I must admit we went at a bad time. Right after the flooding and when the gov shutdown, so the park was closed. Most shops and restaurants were closed. So we expected to feel welcomed at least in the hotel. Service was poor, we had to manage our own suitcases up four flights of stairs. Our bathroom was dirty and we were ignored when we asked for it to be cleaned. The menu served in the dining room was limited and when we asked the hostess what they were serving she shrugged and said take a seat and ask somebody else. The waiter seemed harried and forgetful. Brought us the wrong dessert after a very long time. On the third night we stayed in a haunted room. I must say, Andre at the front desk was very helpful in our moving rooms. He was very polished and gracious in an way we would expect from a fine hotel. Also the girls at the cafe were helpful and nice. Lord Dunraven did appear in our room and made the third night stay enjoyable. Upon checkout I was over charged by $750! The girl at the desk would not listen to my protest, it took the manager on staff to undo the several mistakes on my bill.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. This is definitely an experience that should not happen when inquiring about tour bookings or staying at our hotel. Please contact me directly at jfreitas@stanleyhotel.com. My name is Jesse Freitas, Guest Services Manager and I would be happy to discuss this further.
Colorado Springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Having stayed at The Stanley a couple of times with good results I encouraged my sister, who was coming in from out of state, to stay there. It was her birthday and I was sure it would be a delightful time. In spite of the fact that we had to take an extra hour to get there from Colorado Springs, I was still positive. Then when we got ready to check her and her husband in, the fun began. First of all, there were three front desk clerks and a couple of them (one in particular) seemed as if he weren't having the best day at work. We got lucky and got the friendlier of the three. Unfortunately, he also seems to have turned out to be the least competent. He checked her in and gave her the room key. We went up to the room, she opened the door, and found someone else's possessions on the bed. Nice to know that when you check into a hotel your possessions are secure behind closed doors - at least until the front desk gives someone else a key to your room! So we went back down and they got another room. Then we asked about booking a tour for the next morning, as there was one scheduled at 11 a.m. which is is checkout time. We were told that there were plenty of spots so she should wait until the next morning to book the tour. When she went the next day to book the tour she found out there was only one spot left for the two of them, so my sister and brother-in-law didn't get to go on the tour thanks to the front desk clerk. There was a wedding party at the time and we got the royal brush off and I completely believe that he just didn't want to take the time to book the tour for us because he was too busy. I'm extremely disgusted and disappointed with this behavior. While I may not have been bringing a whole wedding party to the hotel, I am a local and have been there multiple times and have intended to return again, but now I'm not so sure.

Room Tip: They don't give you a choice of rooms but all I can say is you may want to think twice about tak...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay! I am very disappointed to hear about the chain of events that occurred during your stay. Please email me directly at jfreitas@stanleyhotel.com to discuss further.

Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had booked our 1st anniversary weeks before the Colorado floods. We were a little hesitant, but decided to spend it in Estes anyways. Amazing - the staff, the hotel, the food. You would have never known what that little town had gone through. Hotel was gorgeous and do not miss out on The Cascades restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your stay! So glad you still decided to come and had a good time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Guest Services Manager

Been to Stanley Hotel? Share your experiences!